Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Uddingston ML5 2 Upstream Channels

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Uddingston ML5 2 Upstream Channels

Old 22-10-2013, 19:39   #151
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Re: Uddingston ML5 2 Upstream Channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashbury View Post
Superhub 1

Local Area Connection 100 Mb

Toshiba Satellite L650
Okay! So you're wired into your superhub, which DOES have gigabit ports - but your laptop appears to only have 100mbit ports, so going via ethernet you'll never be able to break 100meg.

You could try via wireless, Wireless-N can go way up to 450Mbit but the chances are your laptop won't be even remotely close. The SH1 is also pretty poor at wireless so I wouldn't get your hopes up. All you can do is try.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-10-2013, 20:05   #152
Ashbury
Inactive

Ashbury is an unknown quantity at this point

Tried wireless but no better
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3046129922

Sorry wrong result
Ashbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 20:14   #153
Kushan

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

No worries. I'm afraid it's simply a limitation of your laptop. Still, that's not such a terrible thing, is it? Knowing that your connection is so fast you need a new computer to handle it?
Old 22-10-2013, 20:20   #154
Ashbury
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
No worries. I'm afraid it's simply a limitation of your laptop. Still, that's not such a terrible thing, is it? Knowing that your connection is so fast you need a new computer to handle it?
Thanks for your help. I can cope with the speeds I have
Old 22-10-2013, 21:12   #155
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
He's spot on, you're already reaching the maximum speed your laptop is capable of.

Personally I would find that a terrible thing, the only time I've found it acceptable that my PC be slower than "the internet" is when we had the dual 10Gig trunks at work, any other time it'd just mean my PC sucked and I don't like my PC sucking.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 21:17   #156
Ashbury
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
He's spot on, you're already reaching the maximum speed your laptop is capable of.

Personally I would find that a terrible thing, the only time I've found it acceptable that my PC be slower than "the internet" is when we had the dual 10Gig trunks at work, any other time it'd just mean my PC sucked and I don't like my PC sucking.
Can my PC be upgraded in any way?
Old 22-10-2013, 21:53   #157
Kushan

Quote:
Can my PC be upgraded in any way?
As it's a laptop, it's not the easiest thing to upgrade. The ethernet port certainly can't be, but the wireless might be - however the catch is that the SH1 has terrible wireless, so even if your laptop was upgraded to use the best wireless kit available, you'll struggle to get a decent connection from the SH1.

You'd need to buy a decent router as well, which makes the cost of upgrading a bit on the pricey side. Is it worth it for that extra 20mbit?
Old 22-10-2013, 22:02   #158
Ashbury
Inactive

I think I'll stick with what I've got for the time being. In every other respect my laptop and speeds are more than adequate for my needs.
Maybe Santa will be able to leave a new laptop in my goody bag.
Old 22-10-2013, 22:38   #159
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
As it's a laptop, it's not the easiest thing to upgrade. The ethernet port certainly can't be, but the wireless might be - however the catch is that the SH1 has terrible wireless, so even if your laptop was upgraded to use the best wireless kit available, you'll struggle to get a decent connection from the SH1.
Well that depends on your definition of "upgrade" and "can't". You can easily equip most laptops with a faster ethernet port - USB2, PCMCIA, express card, etc. all do well over 400mbps, easily fulfilling the requirements to max out a 133Mbps VM service if not able to reach a full gigabit.

A USB gigabit ethernet adapter goes for less than £15, as does many 300Mbps dual-band wireless adapters.
Old 23-10-2013, 08:49   #160
mistermoose
Inactive

mistermoose is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Phoned them and got a nice lady who upgraded me with no trouble. My download speed has not changed at all since the upgrade so I'll need to phone back to see what the problem is.
I really have no luck, this time I tried "change your package" and ended up being told that since I was on XXL100 due to a move from 50Mb I couldn't have the 120 upgrade for free. But, that it wasn't available here yet anyway. Bah!

cpc6-uddi19
mistermoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 10:32   #161
Kushan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermoose View Post
I really have no luck, this time I tried "change your package" and ended up being told that since I was on XXL100 due to a move from 50Mb I couldn't have the 120 upgrade for free. But, that it wasn't available here yet anyway. Bah!

cpc6-uddi19
Utter rubbish, whoever told you that needs better training. All 100meg customers are getting 120meg eventually.
Old 24-10-2013, 19:47   #162
Ashbury
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Well that depends on your definition of "upgrade" and "can't". You can easily equip most laptops with a faster ethernet port - USB2, PCMCIA, express card, etc. all do well over 400mbps, easily fulfilling the requirements to max out a 133Mbps VM service if not able to reach a full gigabit.

A USB gigabit ethernet adapter goes for less than £15, as does many 300Mbps dual-band wireless adapters.
Bought an adapter today, got it connected in a couple of minutes and : http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3054940035
Thanks for your help
Old 24-10-2013, 20:17   #163
Jumping
Inactive

Jumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of light

There you go happy days! What kind of adapter did you get?
Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 22:38   #164
Ashbury
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumping View Post
There you go happy days! What kind of adapter did you get?
A Plugable USB2 gigabit
Old 25-10-2013, 01:51   #165
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Nice :-)