Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Windows Defender Security Centre

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Security & Virus Discussion

Windows Defender Security Centre

Old 18-09-2017, 15:07   #1
Mike
cf.mega poster

Mike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful one
Windows Defender Security Centre

Hi all

Was in the process of renewing my anti virus (MacAfee) and noticed my PC appeared to have a current subscription to Windows Defender Security Centre

Is Windows Defender Security Centre basically another anti virus as I don't see the point of running 2. Is which case is it any good.

Would appreciate any comments or advice.

Many thanks

Mike
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-09-2017, 15:46   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Windows Defender Security Centre

It's built into Windows 10 https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...curity-center/, although I wouldn't have thought it would show up as a subscription anywhere - as it's not a subscription service.
Old 18-09-2017, 16:56   #3
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
It's built into Windows 10 https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...curity-center/, although I wouldn't have thought it would show up as a subscription anywhere - as it's not a subscription service.
It is certainly not subscription based.

Info and review here.

Link
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 13:30   #4
Mike
cf.mega poster

Mike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful one

So do I still need MacAfee AV or could I do away with it ?
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 13:43   #5
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

A useful breakdown on that question is here https://www.howtogeek.com/225385/wha...r-good-enough/

I'd agree with them that if you're going to pay for anything, Malware bites is probably the one to do.
Old 19-09-2017, 13:48   #6
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Free Windows defenders is better than McAfee. Eset antivirus is better than Windows defender.

The point being you could ditch McAfee and use Microsoft defender for free but you won't get as good protection as Eset or even Kasperkys.

It's worth paying the little extra maybe, but only if it's the right AV and McAfee isn't the one to be paying for these days.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 15:29   #7
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

You didnt mention MalwareBytes, do you consider that good or bad ?

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 17:58   #8
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

MalwareBytes is probably average in some respects of protection and better in others. Overall i would say it's worth using.

When AV products get tested every month and compared to see how well they do with detection of current malware, no one actually tests Malwarebytes as far as I know. Not sure if it's not considered an AV product like the others or what tbh.

As an example: https://www.av-comparatives.org/

The other part is being part of malware forums and knowing what tricks malware coders are talking about to get around peculiarities of each AV, in a similar way to the security agencies do. Mash all the areas together and you get a better picture of the whole thing.

The threat model for the average user is exploit kit malware from spam and driveby exploits. Malwarebytes, Kaspersky and Eset would both likely know about and add signatures for this malware quicker than Microsoft. Not what the average use would expect.

Also keep in mind that Kaspersky and the others will happily and quickly add signatures of state sponsored malware whereas MS would happily take their time for the 5 eyes crew. Something maybe for journalists and those who slag off america from time to time. /looks shiftily at processes in htop
Old 20-09-2017, 21:35   #9
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

They're mostly a placebo anyway. Detection rate a month after malware release is about 50%.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 07:08   #10
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
They're mostly a placebo anyway. Detection rate a month after malware release is about 50%.
Well thats the thing. Each and everyone one of them can be bypassed easily but some protection is better than none. Catching the mass spam nasties which get noticed and added to signatures within a day or two has huge benefits though and those are the things that get most normal users.

The corporate scenario has to deal with those plus more bespoke nasty packages which don't get flagged the same way. The targeted ones rarely get detected at the time of infection. It's not just corporate though, if I say targeted Paul M with a spoofed mail+invoice for extra charges from one of his hosting companies, the only safe thing to do is not to look unless you know what you are doing. Disabling macros is not good enough fyi

I wouldn't use a generic bit of Malware or RAT which would get easily seen, it would modified or crypted so it was not recognised. Infecting one person with it means it's likely to get known about by AV vendors. Send it to more people and the chances rise. Same with corporate attacks.
Old 21-09-2017, 19:13   #11
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Indeed. Off the shelf obfuscation tools are effective against a lot of AV as they are just using hashes of sections of code.

Heuristics aren't great either. Watching something I know is malware get past an AV sandbox makes me cynical.

Still I suppose they do the best they can without changes to basic OS and hardware environments. Balancing usability with security and all that.

Seen the SMM exploits? SMM rootkits are a thing now. Yay.
Old 21-09-2017, 19:22   #12
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

SMM, unsigned code in Intel ME/Intel Management Engine, its all a mess at the highest level. Or is that lowest level? Forget ring 0

The new bluetooth exploits affecting a range of things is something people should be more scared of at the moment. BlueBorne
Old 23-09-2017, 15:30   #13
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Yeah ring 0 is old hat and ring -1 for noobs.

Think we're going to need hardware built around a secure computing framework which means a few things will change, but then those in the know have been waiting for this for a while now. Software has repeatedly proved incapable of providing anything approaching a secure computing environment. Security co-processors sitting in between software and CPU have been on the table for a while.

---------- Post added at 14:30 ---------- Previous post was at 14:21 ----------

Yes. BlueBorne. Flaws through bad implementations of an excessively complicated protocol. Moral: KISS.
Old 24-09-2017, 17:52   #14
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtx View Post
SMM, unsigned code in Intel ME/Intel Management Engine, its all a mess at the highest level. Or is that lowest level? Forget ring 0

The new bluetooth exploits affecting a range of things is something people should be more scared of at the moment. BlueBorne
I'm relieved that I don't understand more of that than I do but I'm glad that I rarely use Bluetooth, I think...
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 15:43   #15
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

I'm just waiting for the banks to collectively wet themselves when Trusteer Rapport gets compromised as it inevitably will. Glad I never put that on my systems.