Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Which Sky Atlantic Show

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q

How is Sky connected?

Old 17-03-2013, 11:50   #1
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
How is Sky connected?

Probably a daft question but I don't know so thought someone is bound to know here.

If I have Sky Broadband I guess I will get the SkyHub that plugs into your phone line.
The question I have is where does your TV go in all this? If I have some Sky channels do I get a box and does this need a phone line or does this just plug into an aerial? dish?

Thanks,

halcyon.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-03-2013, 12:02   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: How is Sky connected?

Your Sky TV box is connected to a satellite dish on the outside of your house, via a coaxial cable. The installer will put all of it in place. Sky set-top boxes always used to need a phone line connection, I don't know if that's still the case. Somehow I suspect these days they will be happy with a connection to your home network but doubtless someone will be along soon who knows.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 12:16   #3
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Phone line is only compulsory on multiroom installations , if you take Sky TV you'll receive a Sky+ STB you can connect this via Ethernet to your Sky hub to receive On Demand or purchase a wireless connector from Sky if Ethernet connection isn't practical.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 12:48   #4
Halcyon
Hello !

Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Thanks Chris and Muppetman11.

I did wonder if I needed a dish. I believe the house I am moving into has coaxial cable going up into the loft so maybe that will make things easier.

My phone point is the opposite side of the room from where the TV will be so didnt want wires all over the place.
Im glad I won't need it connected to the phone.

Thanks.

Old 17-03-2013, 13:35   #5
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Coax going into the loft is probably for a terrestrial aerial. If so it won't be suitable for a satellite installation.
Old 17-03-2013, 16:43   #6
Halcyon
Hello !

I've just looked in the house handbook and it says there is an aerial socket on the wall and that there is also a digital coaxial cable to roofspace.

I'll check with them and find out.

Thanks again for your help.

Old 17-03-2013, 17:08   #7
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Digital coaxial cable = bollards. Sounds like the same guff that went round about "digital aerials" when Freeview was being rolled out. A piece of coax run into the roof space will have been put there for terrestrial reception and I wouldnt rely on it for satellite unless there is already a dish attached to the other end of it. I don't think a satellite installer will. A Sky employee certainly won't, unless you have booked an install-at-height team they won't go anywhere near your roof.