Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Haze (PS3)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Sony Games Systems

Playstation / Sony Contact

Old 07-05-2008, 22:05   #1
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Playstation / Sony Contact

I have a PS2, and want to get a PS3 that has backward compatability.

The 40GB HDD isn't

The 60GB HDD was, but is now discontinued (cost a fortune)

The 80GB HDD isn't coming to the UK

Is there anywhere I can contact and ask when a BC version is coming to the UK and will not cost a fortune.

On the weekend I saw a PS3 + GTA:IV £300, XBOX360 + GTA:IV £200.

Know if the aren't going to bither to bring a BC version to the UK at a cheap price why should I bother getting a PS3 when I will need to get all new games, I might as well save £100 and get a Xbox360 + a Blueray DVD drive when available.

My only concern is the 360's red lights of death, has this been solved in the newer machines?

Sony have really shot themselves in the foot by screwing the UK people.

I am more than likely going to get a 360 if the donot give us a BC version.
Old 07-05-2008, 22:07   #2
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Playstation / Sony Contact

Sony have already said there are no plans to launch any new SKUs in Europe & no plans to bring back PS2 BC.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 22:12   #3
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I just want to tell then hat they suck, and that over the years I've spent a fortune on Sony goods: 2 TVs, 3 VCRs, 1 HDD/DVD-R, 4 mobile Phones, PS2 +100 games & a PSP + loads of games.

So I might take my business when the units hit the end of there life elsewhere.
Old 07-05-2008, 22:22   #4
Charlie_Bubble
Inactive

Charlie_Bubble has reached the bronze age
Charlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
My only concern is the 360's red lights of death, has this been solved in the newer machines?
The newer machines are more stable and even if you get it, it's a 3 year warranty with free shipping to and from MS and only takes a week or two at the most. I had my 360 get the RROD after a year of pretty tough use and it took just 4 days from receipt for them to dispatch back to me.
Charlie_Bubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 22:51   #5
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

All the PS/PS2 games I've tried on my bro's PS3 have worked fine
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 23:00   #6
shawty
Permanently Banned

shawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I have a PS2, and want to get a PS3 that has backward compatability.

The 40GB HDD isn't

The 60GB HDD was, but is now discontinued (cost a fortune)

The 80GB HDD isn't coming to the UK

Is there anywhere I can contact and ask when a BC version is coming to the UK and will not cost a fortune.

On the weekend I saw a PS3 + GTA:IV £300, XBOX360 + GTA:IV £200.

Know if the aren't going to bither to bring a BC version to the UK at a cheap price why should I bother getting a PS3 when I will need to get all new games, I might as well save £100 and get a Xbox360 + a Blueray DVD drive when available.

No logic in that is there? Then your stuck no matter what you do. You have a PS2? But want a PS3 that plays your PS2 games, Sony wont tell you if there is or isnt one coming out, so you say you might get a Xbox 360? So your stuck with nothing to play your PS2 games on apart from the PS2 which you would need to keep. So you could do the same with the PS3 and PS2. Why not look at the games out for the new machine and different features of the consoles, instead of worrying about BC.

---------- Post added at 22:00 ---------- Previous post was at 21:59 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
All the PS/PS2 games I've tried on my bro's PS3 have worked fine
Well he has a PS3 60GB which is BC, the 40GB PS3 is only BC with PS1 games.
shawty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 23:09   #7
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

Services: Initiations, rep rigging and orgies!
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star

Quote:

The red lighs of death were really a problem with SOME Xbox 360's made at release of the console. They really arent an issue now with the new versions unless you just happen to get an iffy one, which is as likely as it would be if you were buying a PS3 or a Wii.

I got a 360 around the date of release and its still going strong, never had any issue with it.

Just remember episodic GTA content is 360-only, so the PS3 owners arent getting it.

So getting a 360 will not only save you 100 bucks, you will also get more for your money but you wont be as cool as shawty unfortunately.

He da man!
TheBlueRaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 23:52   #8
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

[quote=shawty;34546732]No logic in that is there? Then your stuck no matter what you do. You have a PS2? But want a PS3 that plays your PS2 games, Sony wont tell you if there is or isnt one coming out, so you say you might get a Xbox 360? So your stuck with nothing to play your PS2 games on apart from the PS2 which you would need to keep. So you could do the same with the PS3 and PS2. Why not look at the games out for the new machine and different features of the consoles, instead of worrying about BC.
[quote]

Thats the point I was trying to make. whatever I do I ned to keep my old PS2, If I had a PS3 BC version I could give my PS2 away.

So do I stick to Sony's PS3 which costs more, or jump ship to the 360.

When I look at the two units the PS3 look far better.

I've also been lead to beleive that the PS3 is a far better machine graphically.

Ok the 360 dosen't yet have a Blue ray drive, but this will be out soon, and I don't have any HD DVDs, and I'm not yet planning to upgrade my 560 or so DVDs.

The fact that the 360 has more games is irrelavent, as it been out longer, so of course it will have more games.

Choices choices
Old 08-05-2008, 00:05   #9
shawty
Permanently Banned

shawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to behold

[quote=Hom3r;34546762][quote=shawty;34546732]No logic in that is there? Then your stuck no matter what you do. You have a PS2? But want a PS3 that plays your PS2 games, Sony wont tell you if there is or isnt one coming out, so you say you might get a Xbox 360? So your stuck with nothing to play your PS2 games on apart from the PS2 which you would need to keep. So you could do the same with the PS3 and PS2. Why not look at the games out for the new machine and different features of the consoles, instead of worrying about BC.
Quote:

Thats the point I was trying to make. whatever I do I ned to keep my old PS2, If I had a PS3 BC version I could give my PS2 away.

So do I stick to Sony's PS3 which costs more, or jump ship to the 360.

When I look at the two units the PS3 look far better.

I've also been lead to beleive that the PS3 is a far better machine graphically.

Ok the 360 dosen't yet have a Blue ray drive, but this will be out soon, and I don't have any HD DVDs, and I'm not yet planning to upgrade my 560 or so DVDs.

The fact that the 360 has more games is irrelavent, as it been out longer, so of course it will have more games.

Choices choices
Just go with which you thinks best. Exclusive games are the games which have the better graphics. With the games coming out, personally the PS3 exclusives look to have the better graphics if thats what you are into. Regarding the Blu-ray drive for the 360, there is nothing to suggest that one is coming. If you want a PS3, get one and dont screw yourself over because there is no BC ones as you would be in the same position either way now.
shawty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 01:15   #10
frogstamper
Inactive

Services: VIP
frogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronze
frogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronze

Hi Hom3r, I remember when I brought my 360 I was really concerned about it being able to play old XBOX games, but once Id brought a few games and seen the difference in quality, especially in HD, I can honestly say Ive hardly touched them. In comparison the old PS2 and XBOX games look and feel pretty crappy, so much so I didn't want them on my shiny new next gen console, it was the same when the PS2 came out, thinking I would be playing all the greats from the PS1 era but it didn't happen. These old games seem destined to sit in the back of wardrobes gathering dust along with old Sega Master classics such as Alex Kidd in miracle world and Wonderboy in monster land, while you spend your time and money on great new next gen titles.
frogstamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 14:41   #11
NEONKNIGHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogstamper View Post
Hi Hom3r, I remember when I brought my 360 I was really concerned about it being able to play old XBOX games, but once Id brought a few games and seen the difference in quality, especially in HD, I can honestly say Ive hardly touched them. In comparison the old PS2 and XBOX games look and feel pretty crappy, so much so I didn't want them on my shiny new next gen console, it was the same when the PS2 came out, thinking I would be playing all the greats from the PS1 era but it didn't happen. These old games seem destined to sit in the back of wardrobes gathering dust along with old Sega Master classics such as Alex Kidd in miracle world and Wonderboy in monster land, while you spend your time and money on great new next gen titles.
Good points and all too true.

Some good games out on both consoles - but PS3 games on average cost more to buy. Pitty the cost isn't the same as PC games but the PC user base is millions and millions more than PS3 or Xbox could ever possibly achieve.
Old 08-05-2008, 22:07   #12
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Thanks for all that guys.

Question on Xbox 360 live, What does it cost?

Because If I understand correctly the PS3 version is free.
Old 08-05-2008, 22:51   #13
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

Around £34.99 for 12 months access if you want to play online games although downloading demos is free.
Old 08-05-2008, 23:22   #14
frogstamper
Inactive

Services: VIP
frogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronze
frogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronze

Quote:

You can buy one month and three month voucher's for £5.99 and £14.99 respectively, live is exceedingly addictive though especially COD4, when you log on of an evening that game can have up to 200,000 people playing at a time, I guarantee you will spend hours playing it.
frogstamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2008, 01:00   #15
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Well I finally did it, I bought what a load of guys I work with have.

I bought an Xbox360 Elite

Been playing GTA:IV I'm in Love

Question.

I pluged it onto my HD TV via the component cable, upstairs I will need to connect via a scart lead as that TV does not have HD, will the xbox automatically dtect this?