Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ps3 to monitor problems

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Sony Games Systems
Register FAQ Community Calendar

MAG (Massive Action Game)

Old 29-04-2009, 22:48   #1
icestar2
Inactive

Services: Phone, HDTV, 30MB BB, Tivo
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal
MAG (Massive Action Game)

I was sure there was a thread on this a while back but you can't search for MAG because its to short and I couldnt find it in a manual search unless it was not under the Sony section. So if one of the Mods does find it feel free to join this post to that thread, Anyway . . . .

MAG a 256 Player FPS ! Wow thats something in itself. Today the first video of actual gameplay was released and if everything am reading and seeing is true this game has massive, massive potential.

Quote:
Little has been heard about MAG, Sony's ambitious 256-person online shooter that was announced during last year's E3. In fact, other than the CG trailer shown at the conference, there has been an almost total lockdown on any information related to the game. Last week, however, all that changed during Sony's Seattle Gamers Day event.
Quote:
With a long history of making online shooters (the developer was the first to bring an online game to the PS2 with the first SOCOM), Zipper has been working hard to make sure that players will experience a smooth and pleasant experience, even when playing against a couple hundred other people. In fact, it's been running weekly 256-player tests since late last year with SCEA folks in California in order to test the network technology -- Zipper says it's already achieved smooth gameplay.
Full hand's on Review and first gameplay video - http://www.joystiq.com/2009/04/29/joystiq-hands-on-mag/
icestar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-04-2009, 23:06   #2
cimt

cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal
cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal
re: MAG (Massive Action Game)

Yeah, I watched that earlier. It looks awesome! I shall certainly be getting it when it comes out.
cimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 15:38   #3
icestar2
Inactive

icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal

There's a great interview on joystiq with alot of information

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/04/30/jo...illips-on-mag/
Old 05-05-2009, 18:11   #4
cimt

There's a video on the Playstation Blog that answers a few questions. They'll also be a live chat tomorrow, too.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/...-announcement/
Old 23-09-2009, 01:24   #5
cimt

Sorry for the bump but who got accepted into the beta? I did and I must say it is fantastic. I just played a game there and I went round a corner and there was like 20 of the other team running at me. Ahh good times. Also, I picked S.V.E.R. What about you guys?
Old 23-09-2009, 14:47   #6
RealDiamond
Inactive

Services: Free^60meg No, Free^30meg Yes, TV M, Phone M. Running Kubuntu 12.04+Chromium Browser On Free laptop
RealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really nice

RAVEN for one reason and one only....

One of these..... Nice not to have a NDA for once......can actually talk about the games. I never liked the MP5 or HK.
RealDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2009, 14:57   #7
icestar2
Inactive

I didnt get into this one There's a couple people on my friends list that are in though and most are saying its decent.
Old 24-09-2009, 00:05   #8
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimt View Post
Sorry for the bump but who got accepted into the beta?
Yup. I got accepted a couple of days ago I think.

My experience went like this:

<Check email> "Oooh, a code for the MAG beta "

<Redeem the code... download 260MB ish from the store.>

"Hmm. That's a bit small?"

<Run installer>... "ah, another 30something MB update to download. OK, still a bit small though?"

<Run beta app>... "Ah, 2 1/2 GB to download. That must be the actual thing itself"

<Download...download...download...download...downl oad...> "What? Still only 5%?!"

"Hmm. Just like the crappy MGO beta, this is using some sort of ultra-slow P2P method to download the actual beta itself. Awesome "

"This sucks! It's taking ages, plus it can't be set to background download, so you have to leave the PS3 running for x hours with the beta's P2P app running away slowly downloading. Screw this!"

<goes to quit the download>

"Hmm. Doesn't even have a quit button, so I have to use the PS button to quit via the XMB."

<quits via XMB>

<deletes the beta>

Why on Earth is the full beta file not available on the PSN Store? [Like Uncharted 2's beta]

Why do you have to first download some stupid P2P app & then use P2P to download the beta? [Unlike Uncharted 2's beta]

I mean, the Uncharted 2 beta managed it perfectly, none of this P2P nonsense. You simply downloaded the full main thing via the Store using a redeem code, and That.Was.That.

It's not like this is by some tiny indy dev: Zipper are owned by Sony, surely Sony can give them some Store space & bandwidth for people to download the beta?

I can't be bothered...

Quote:
Originally Posted by icestar2 View Post
I didnt get into this one There's a couple people on my friends list that are in though and most are saying its decent.
Apparently, if you applied, you *will* get in.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2009/09/...orry-youre-in/
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2009, 00:23   #9
cimt

They've changed the times now... Instead of midnight the servers are back on at 1AM.
Old 24-09-2009, 00:50   #10
icestar2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Apparently, if you applied, you *will* get in.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2009/09/...orry-youre-in/
Hmmm that post was made on the 22nd and said all will be in by tomorrow by 2-3pm. I still havent heard anything so guess they are either lying or they have been delayed for some reason. Seeing as most are in now though am thinking for some reason I've been over looked. Not to bothered as October bring's plenty of gaming goodness and I wont have time for the Beta then anyway.

Edit** According to one of the developers on the EU PS forums the beta invites were sent out between Thursday the 18 and Tuesday the 22nd. Am sure I'd signed up but maybe not. Oh well sounds like alot of hassle anyway going by Matt's post lol.
Old 24-09-2009, 09:10   #11
RealDiamond
Inactive

Services: Free^60meg No, Free^30meg Yes, TV M, Phone M. Running Kubuntu 12.04+Chromium Browser On Free laptop
RealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really nice

Its a Beta Every thing is being tested in MAG from patch Update servers to menu lay out. The "Barracks screens" has New layouts and design changes. The automatic Game servers systems are not due to be built till November.

The P2P update system worked fine during KILLZONE 2 beta. With MAG. It had an error in the code. It was fixed for MAG again with a new client patch.

Uncharted 2 Is a PR DEMO. The Beta test for Uncharted was in JUNE and its was only a load testing, Theres are no bug reports being filed for the uncharted 2 Beta unlike the MAG.
The discs have gone GOLD already for uncharted 2. They can't change the Game code untill release.

So far the MAG Beta Downloads now total over 8GB. If you included all the data since it started. The Store Had Enough problems With all the US users downloading the EU game released last week, As the game was not released in the US store..

I still get my 10Mb/s download as Im not in a Internet bottle neck.

Like every Big map game "Snipers" Have easy kills . They camp Near the spawn point and just get kills. They can't win a game by them selves, as there are APCs. but they get high kill counts.
Every one else is in on the action 99%.
Perks don't work unless your in proximity to a leader or a leaders set objective.

The Game play is A Massive change from Socom but its not as big a step up from Bad Company. If defending you start with with a mass of things to defend but as each objective falls you do get pushed back. In some game modes you can reclame back the objects in other game modes lose the wrong ones and you can't and are forced to respawn at a spawn point back down the map more, thats when the attackers can be stalled in there advance easy.

As usual Ranking up NEEDS to be done. Squad leaders and Platoon leaders perks make the sides more even. Squad leader rank does not happen till rank 15. From then on only weapons unlock per level, to change leadership rank another points system is used. based on wins as a leader, If your side wins your Leadership points go up. lose and they go up a vey tiny bit.
Its up to the attackers to win buy doing all the objectives if they don't. Its at loss for the squad leaders and all defending sqaud leaders get the win and go up in points..

As normal Low rank players will die easy. 3 shots, High ranked players may never die. Medkits and regenerating health perks are part of this game. This means 2 high rated Perked up players can have fire fights for ages untill some one lines up a head shot or unless more player support arrives. This forces Team game play to combine bullet power..
RealDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2009, 18:19   #12
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I posted this here (Now closed)

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/30...l#post34892932

I tried a search but 3 letters is no good for a search

When I said come on MS sort it out I was referring to that fact this game can handle 356 players, where the 360 max is 24-36ish
Old 18-10-2009, 18:40   #13
Bulky
Inactive

Bulky has reached the bronze age
Bulky has reached the bronze age

256 players is max , have to be honest though , not that excited about this one , used to play planetside on the pc which and wasn't my cup of tea
Old 19-10-2009, 19:47   #14
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Re: MAG (Massive Action Game)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulkylad View Post
256 players is max , have to be honest though , not that excited about this one , used to play planetside on the pc which and wasn't my cup of tea
Oops I meant 256, just didn't read first
Old 04-01-2010, 23:29   #15
icestar2
Inactive

Re: MAG (Massive Action Game)

Just bumping this thread to let everyone know that MAG is in open beta from today till the 10th. Just download it off the PSN store and then download some more in game and your good to go. Have to say I'd gone off this game but the beta's seems not bad and has me intrested again.