Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ps3 to monitor problems

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Sony Games Systems

Another 60GB bites the Dust :(

Old 24-12-2009, 10:55   #1
icestar2
Inactive

Services: Phone, HDTV, 30MB BB, Tivo
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal
Another 60GB bites the Dust :(

My launch model 60GB console has died What a crap day for it to hit the dust. Guess it was only a matter of time. Kinda annoyed that it's got my Dead Space disc in which I only bought yesterday

Considering just buying a new slim model now tbh. Have a couple questions though. Is there anyway to get the data from my 60GB onto the new console without the use of an external HD ? If not will the new console be able to run the data if I just put my 60GB hard drive in it for now ?

I remember when you bought a console and it just worked for years. Seems these days with all the tech there sticking in them that they dont last very long at all.

I still have a working N64 and Sega Mega drive but I've now had a xbox 360 fail after 15 months and a PS3 fail after 2 years. Getting very expensive to own a console these days
icestar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-12-2009, 10:59   #2
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M
Re: Another 60GB bites the Dust :(

A quick google gave me this

http://boardsus.playstation.com/play...ead.id=3293473

give it a go
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2009, 11:05   #3
icestar2
Inactive

icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham M View Post
A quick google gave me this

http://boardsus.playstation.com/play...ead.id=3293473

give it a go
Thanks for the link Graham. I've tried for about 20mins to get the disc out but it does nothing. I think its the BD drive thats failed tbh
Old 24-12-2009, 11:11   #4
Graham M
-

Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars

aww annoying
Old 24-12-2009, 11:17   #5
icestar2
Inactive

Since my console is no longer under warranty and gonna cost me £150 to get repaired anyway by Sony would I be ok to open the console myself and remove the disc(done this before with other consoles not to hard)

I know this would be voiding the warranty but its no longer under warranty anyway. Would I still be able to get Sony to repair the console if I did this and they could see the warranty sticker had been broken ?
Old 24-12-2009, 11:41   #6
zing_deleted

they shove it all into cases that are just to small to do a good enough job of dissipating heat and what do they do next.... make them even smaller
Old 24-12-2009, 11:49   #7
Graham M
-

If it's broken with no chance of salvage, go for it tbh, and the newer PS3s have a smaller die size, so less power and less heat
Old 24-12-2009, 12:14   #8
grandmaster
Inactive

grandmaster has reached the bronze age
grandmaster has reached the bronze agegrandmaster has reached the bronze agegrandmaster has reached the bronze age

My ps3 broke last month
just under 2 years old, the thing that annoyed me was that it was not over used.
I used to play on it for a couple of hours on a weekend.

Sony wanted to send me a refurb for £120 i think with one or two months warranty..

I opted to by a slim one instead..

I got it from Tesco direct with fif10 , 2 BR DVD's and a BR remote control..

Picked it up the next day
grandmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2009, 13:25   #9
icestar2
Inactive

Well I took it apart and now have my disc back On the down side I still have a dead PS3 Going into town now and may buy a slim
Old 25-12-2009, 01:40   #10
icestar2
Inactive

Was saving for a Nokia N97 but bit the bullet an bought a 120GB Slim instead I was very surprised how little noise it makes. You'd be hard pressed to even notice its on. Seems to generate alot less heat aswell.

Fingers cross this one last a bit longer though I amagine Sony or M$ will be gearing up a new machine before this one fails.
Old 25-12-2009, 12:48   #11
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Good stuff

Just a pity your old one died though of course
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2009, 21:04   #12
Charlie_Bubble
Inactive

Charlie_Bubble has reached the bronze age
Charlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by icestar2 View Post
Was saving for a Nokia N97 but bit the bullet an bought a 120GB Slim instead I was very surprised how little noise it makes. You'd be hard pressed to even notice its on. Seems to generate alot less heat aswell.

Fingers cross this one last a bit longer though I amagine Sony or M$ will be gearing up a new machine before this one fails.
I wouldn't bank on it!
Charlie_Bubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 19:25   #13
ThunderPants73
cf.mega poster

Services: BB & PHONE
ThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond repute

I have 3 days left on my PS3 warranty, I'm starting to get a little twitchy....
ThunderPants73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 19:36   #14
icestar2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPants73 View Post
I have 3 days left on my PS3 warranty, I'm starting to get a little twitchy....
Its a shame people abused that "continuous play" that Sony offered as it was an excellent service well worth around £5 a month or whatever it was. They would just straight swap your PS3 if it broke down. Would of used it myself but by the time I went to sign up it had been suspended because of the abuse
Old 10-01-2010, 17:10   #15
icestar2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Bubble View Post
I wouldn't bank on it!
Unfortunately for me you may be right Charlie. My slim has just switched off and started blinking red(same fault as my 60GB presented before christmas) after powering down and switching back on it seems to be ok now but I fear its not going to last long. Luckily it will have a years warrenty but its not good enough really to build machines that don't last when you consider the price's of them.