Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin media possibly getting serious on dodgy boxes?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin media possibly getting serious on dodgy boxes?

Old 17-04-2012, 10:56   #1006
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Re: Virgin media possibly getting serious on dodgy boxes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by m419 View Post
I was told that there is a device that can be connected to the set top box with a cable or ADSL modem link with an ethernet cable and allows full access to all channels including the premium channels and all on-demand content including filmflex movies. For it to work you have to be an active Virgin TV customer so the M+ package and have a internet connection of at least 2mb. Now I don't know if this is a load of waffle but if it is true, that means Nagra has been cracked???? The thing with the dodgy boxes is that i'm sure broadcasters such as Viacom and BskyB will not like there content splashed out for free and they will be less likely to allow decent channels be carried on Virgin if its open to free loaders.
Who told you this?
Old 17-04-2012, 12:27   #1007
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
N3 has not been cracked and it's strange that it needs a 2mb connection as even CS only needs to receive extremely little data..

Sounds like it could be a load of baloney unless more details surface..
That's what my friend told me, to be honest I don't really want to know the ins and outs of this as it is illegal and talking about this kind of thing in great detail on this forum is not allowed and don't wanna get kicked off
m419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 12:33   #1008
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
You say this like cardsharing isn't also a problem on Sky. It is. In fact at this point I'd say more people cardshare on sky than VM.
Indeed

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 12:35   #1009
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
Who told you this?
My friend told me about it, i'm not 100% certain on how it works or what the device is called, it is illegal and don't really want to know, although I think this kind of fraud will be traceable when you use it as it apparently only works with active TV customers virgin must know who is using what and when, so those doing this kind of fraud obviously have M package or M+ and get all the perks as a XL customer as well as free pay-per-view and premium content. It is blatent theft to be honest and to me it sounds too risky even if it is true, I would rather pay for it than end up with a big fine. But then again, it does tell you something, it is saying that the pricing is too high the cost of TV packages needs to come down especially Sky Movies. Then maybe people won't go through all that trouble hacking and commiting fraud. I know it is not entirely Virgin Media's fault with the pricing but the whole industry would have to modify its pricing in order for that to happen.
Old 17-04-2012, 19:45   #1010
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by m419 View Post
I was told that there is a device that can be connected to the set top box with a cable or ADSL modem link with an ethernet cable and allows full access to all channels including the premium channels and all on-demand content including filmflex movies. For it to work you have to be an active Virgin TV customer so the M+ package and have a internet connection of at least 2mb. Now I don't know if this is a load of waffle but if it is true, that means Nagra has been cracked???? The thing with the dodgy boxes is that i'm sure broadcasters such as Viacom and BskyB will not like there content splashed out for free and they will be less likely to allow decent channels be carried on Virgin if its open to free loaders.
This is true, but its very easy to get caught
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 19:48   #1011
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
This is true, but its very easy to get caught
Indeed that easy that they even can trace the servers that feed the devices.

http://www.techwatch.co.uk/2011/02/0...in-derbyshire/

http://www.techwatch.co.uk/2012/02/2...-card-sharing/

Quote:
The Starview operation ran between February 2010 to February 2011.

The surprise, really, is that the men didn’t think they would not get caught.

In the meantime, Virgin Media have been provided with a full list of Starview customers to consider making individual prosecutions.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 20:15   #1012
m419
Inactive

Fancy spending billions on a cable network and for carriage of tv channels and then some riff raff decide to have that service for free and it will be the same people who complain about poor broadband speeds and lack of TV channels well, when you pay for a service, the funds cover that investment. People think they can live for free but the consequences are that little freebie will come back to them one day, when companies start running out of money, they will just put prices up, you deliberately take benefits from the government that you are not entitled to, it will come back to your community when the government runs out of funds to invest in your community and then you will be worse off. So there is no such thing as a free ticket, it will come back to you one way or another.