Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 13-02-2017, 10:50   #2881
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
Well I got my V6 installed on Saturday. I had a 1-6 slot and he came at 1:25. The installation took around 35 minutes including showing him how Logitech Harmony remotes work :-) The only downer was having to supply my own network cable for the install. I would have thought they would have supplied this.

I copied over the series links and everything came up in about an hour or so.

So far, I am super impressed, it's so fast! Half of the features of the old Tivo were unusable as the box was so slow.

He must have ran out as Virgin issue them
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-02-2017, 11:38   #2882
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
It will be good when Sky confirm HDR on Sky Q.
The problem with live HDR broadcasts is they are a lot more complex to implement over say the OTT providers.
http://www.techradar.com/news/televi...e-soon-1328096
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 11:41   #2883
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Morning guys,

I'm really impressed with the pair of V6s that I have. The speed is great, but being able to watch recordings from either box is a real big plus.

Does anyone know if there is a limit to how many V6s customers can have? I currently have 4 boxes including my 2 x V6s
Will the V6s be available for self-install at any point?
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 11:59   #2884
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj View Post
Morning guys,

I'm really impressed with the pair of V6s that I have. The speed is great, but being able to watch recordings from either box is a real big plus.

Does anyone know if there is a limit to how many V6s customers can have? I currently have 4 boxes including my 2 x V6s
Yes its certainly a big plus in our household.
Old 13-02-2017, 12:05   #2885
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
Well I got my V6 installed on Saturday. I had a 1-6 slot and he came at 1:25. The installation took around 35 minutes including showing him how Logitech Harmony remotes work :-) The only downer was having to supply my own network cable for the install. I would have thought they would have supplied this.

I copied over the series links and everything came up in about an hour or so.

So far, I am super impressed, it's so fast! Half of the features of the old Tivo were unusable as the box was so slow.
That was pretty much my experience. My cables were already in place so, if anything, my installation was even smoother. As you say, impressive.
heavyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 12:22   #2886
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
There is a limit of 3 V6's, and 6 STBs in total.

Self-install for V6 is currently being trialled, but no date is yet set for when it'll be generally available (and even then I doubt it'll be available for an install as complex as yours)
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 12:39   #2887
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post

Self-install for V6 is currently being trialled, but no date is yet set for when it'll be generally available (and even then I doubt it'll be available for an install as complex as yours)
Thanks for the reply SP,

While I was waiting for a reply here, I asked a VM customer service advisor on the VM webchat. They said it was possible to have 5 x V6s boxes, but they didn't give a total STB limit, so I think you're probably right with a total of 6 STBs

My install was easy as the cables were already in the correct places. For the 2 additional V6s, it would just be a case of switching the old Tivo and V+HD. I can easily do that myself.

Last edited by Ultimate.Conj; 13-02-2017 at 13:36.
Old 13-02-2017, 14:22   #2888
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
While I was waiting for a reply here, I asked a VM customer service advisor on the VM webchat. They said it was possible to have 5 x V6s boxes, but they didn't give a total STB limit, so I think you're probably right with a total of 6 STBs
I am aware of some customers who have more than 3 V6's, but they shouldn't have been sold this really. There's a risk of maxing out the broadband.

Quote:
My install was easy as the cables were already in the correct places. For the additional 2 more V6s, it would just be a case of switching the old Tivo and V+HD. I can easily do that myself.
It's the connection to the SuperHub that's the concern. I expect self-install only to be offered where there's a single V6, and it's going to be installed next to the SuperHub.
Old 13-02-2017, 14:52   #2889
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I am aware of some customers who have more than 3 V6's, but they shouldn't have been sold this really. There's a risk of maxing out the broadband.

It's the connection to the SuperHub that's the concern. I expect self-install only to be offered where there's a single V6, and it's going to be installed next to the SuperHub.
I think you could be right. I was lucky that my V6s connected easily to the superhub via Wi-Fi. They are both running between 95-100% signal. While I don't see there being any problem with connecting another two, some customers may not be as lucky.
Old 13-02-2017, 16:20   #2890
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
The problem with live HDR broadcasts is they are a lot more complex to implement over say the OTT providers.
http://www.techradar.com/news/televi...e-soon-1328096

Interesting. And the take-away message (which is 'old as the hills', technology wise) is wait until the standards are well and truly defined before investing in new expensive kit. I agree with them, HDR is the big game changer, above 4K, for the average persons TV size purchase.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 01:00   #2891
mackemsrule
Inactive

mackemsrule is an unknown quantity at this point

well had my V6 in for about a week and i think i will have to phone up and see if there's something wrong with it, when i press guide or my shows the screen goes blank for about 5-10 seconds before it responds which makes it slower than the old tivo and yesterday and today it must stop sending a signal to my tv as it shows up no signal and i have to turn it off and on,
mackemsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 09:51   #2892
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

There's a compatibility problem between the V6 and your TV. For starters, go into Home - Help&Settings - Settings - Video Output Format, and try unticking individual resolutions to see if that makes the problem go away.

What make TV is it?
Old 14-02-2017, 18:14   #2893
mackemsrule
Inactive

mackemsrule is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
There's a compatibility problem between the V6 and your TV. For starters, go into Home - Help&Settings - Settings - Video Output Format, and try unticking individual resolutions to see if that makes the problem go away.

What make TV is it?
It's a Samsung UE40HU6900 UHD TV, I'll give your suggestion a try thanks
mackemsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 19:06   #2894
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackemsrule View Post
It's a Samsung UE40HU6900 UHD TV, I'll give your suggestion a try thanks
Try this too (thanks to AndyCambs)
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...ge/true/page/1
Old 14-02-2017, 19:56   #2895
nish2030
ISH

Services: 200mb gamer BB, 1x 1tb tivo, 3x 500gb Tivo, Tv XL, VM phone talk wekends.
nish2030 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Thats what vm told me when i first rang, however rang up again last Sunday managed to order 4 v6s for install on the 13 march. i wonder whether we'll get 3 or 4 come 13th march.
nish2030 is offline   Reply With Quote