Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Smell in Washing Machine

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Smell in Washing Machine

Old 05-06-2017, 12:59   #1
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts
Smell in Washing Machine

I wonder if anyone can help me.

I have a Servis M6500 washing machine which i have cared for and is well looked after and ive never abused in anyway. I use Daz washing powder and comfort softner and always have.

The reason for this post is when im washing im getting a dirty water smell in the drum and sometimes on my clothes. Now i was suggested to try this Dr Backhamms powder which is supposed to sort it and ive tried it twice but still the problem persists.

The machine is 9 years old and going fine but i just cant solve this issue.

Anyone wanna suggest what i can try?
Thanks.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-06-2017, 13:03   #2
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Smell in Washing Machine

Check your waste pipes for blockage.
Old 05-06-2017, 13:03   #3
AbyssUnderground
cf.mega poster

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, HH5, synced at maximum 80Mbps/20Mbps.
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to AbyssUnderground

I run mine empty with a splash of bleach in it every month or two on the highest temperature wash it will do (90*c). Don't use too much as it froths up A LOT. A small squirt will do (about 2-3 tablespoons max).
AbyssUnderground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 13:59   #4
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Any washing machine cleaner will do the job, but remove the powder tray and wash it in the sink, and spray the hole it fits in with a bleach-based kitchen cleaner. The number of machines I've found to be plastered in black mould behind the soap tray.......
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 17:03   #5
alanbjames
R.I.P.

alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

Just found a small brown puddle under the front of the machine.

Either there is a blockage or i have a leak and need a new machine. My brother who is good with DIY and electricals is coming around tomorrow and told me not to use machine yet which is obvious.
Old 05-06-2017, 17:42   #6
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Brown often means rust. It can also mean dirt and fungal growth dripping down from the soap tray. Or foam bubbling up from the drum and bypassing the soap tray. When was the last time you cleaned the drain filter?
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 19:00   #7
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Over use of liquid detergent and/or conditioner can lead to the inner surface of the outer drum becoming coated in a smelly slime.

This is rare but I have come across it in the wild. I could think only of removing the drum assembly and physically cleaning it all out but this was not cost effective due to the age of the machine so advised to scrap.

The client later told me that they changed their detergent and carried on using the appliance, over time (a few months) the smell gradually ceased.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 19:10   #8
Julian
Oh When The Saints!!

Julian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny star
Julian has a nice shiny star

biggest cause of smell in washing machine is leaving the door closed when not in use.

Leave the door ajar when not in use will help.
Old 05-06-2017, 19:31   #9
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

A good splash or two of white vinegar in the wash will help with the musty smell.

Cheers

Dave
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 20:24   #10
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Filter is cleaned every few months, my brother does it when he comes over as im disabled from a stroke i cannot do these things so theres a set list of what he does when he comes over.

We will see when bro comes over and see what happens and will let u know.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:53   #11
raging bull
cf.geek

Services: Tivo V6 - L TV/XL Phone /200Mb BB
raging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quads

When the boss complains about the washer smelling I first resort is putting the washer onto a high heat setting without anything in. (90°C)
Surprising the amount of residue powder build up, depending on weekly usage the above I do every six months.
raging bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:17   #12
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by raging bull View Post
When the boss complains about the washer smelling I first resort is putting the washer onto a high heat setting without anything in. (90°C)
Surprising the amount of residue powder build up, depending on weekly usage the above I do every six months.

That is what the manufacturers of my machine advise.
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 16:20   #13
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Well i feel like a right idiot, first off thanks for the bleech idea that sorted the smell, as for the water well that is a different story.

In my fridge freezer i have a water dispenser which i always put blackcurrent squash in, whoever filled it last didnt put the bottom on correct and it was seeping down onto the floor right next to my washing machine and under the left leg making me think it was the machine, my brother found it right away. It was either my son or his boyfriend who filled it last so im gonna bang some heads together.
Old 07-06-2017, 16:53   #14
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

Services: tv phone mobile broadband V6 and tivo.
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star

At least you got it sorted Alan, the question is now who will own up to the blackcurrent squash As for the smell in the washing machine I do the splash of bleach once a month as I find this works far better than any so called washing machine cleaner (Dr Beckmann Service-It Deep Clean & Dettol Washing Machine Cleaner) as I have tried both of these and I found Dr Beckmann left a smell and the dettol one made very little difference tbh and the plus side to using bleach is it's far cheaper.

Glad you got it all sorted.