Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Darlington - Intermittent connection to home page

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Torrents cause internet to stop working and modem needs rebooting.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:28   #1
Aeropars
Inactive

Aeropars is an unknown quantity at this point
Torrents cause internet to stop working and modem needs rebooting.

Hello All,

I've got a strange problem which I'm not sure if its caused by the pirate bay blocking.

I have a number of torrents which i share out for ratio based services which I use. I was previously on 10mb and downloaded using torrents fine. I've since been upgraded to 30mb and just came to start downloading some shows again and my internet locks up. Its not being choked as its still using the settings i used for the 10mb service which i optimised so i didnt get choked.

It is possible i have a torrent from the Piratebay on there but im not sure without looking. I came home form work yesterday to no internet and had to reboot my new super hub modem. All ok for the evening and then i had to do the same again this morning.

Am i being disconnected due to the pirate bay possibility or is this something unrelated?

Many thanks.
Aeropars is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2012, 08:37   #2
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Re: Torrents cause internet to stop working and modem needs rebooting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeropars View Post
Hello All,

I've got a strange problem which I'm not sure if its caused by the pirate bay blocking.

I have a number of torrents which i share out for ratio based services which I use. I was previously on 10mb and downloaded using torrents fine. I've since been upgraded to 30mb and just came to start downloading some shows again and my internet locks up. Its not being choked as its still using the settings i used for the 10mb service which i optimised so i didnt get choked.

It is possible i have a torrent from the Piratebay on there but im not sure without looking. I came home form work yesterday to no internet and had to reboot my new super hub modem. All ok for the evening and then i had to do the same again this morning.

Am i being disconnected due to the pirate bay possibility or is this something unrelated?

Many thanks.
Its unrelated as they only blocked the website not the tracker. How many upload slots do you have and are you allocating all of you unload to BT without leaving any for surfing ???

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:44   #3
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeropars View Post
I came home form work yesterday to no internet and had to reboot my new super hub modem
I dont think most people realise this but routers can only handle a certain number of connections going in and out of it. You are more than likely maxing out the number of connections the shub can handle which will cause it to lock up. I had the same thing happen about 10 years ago when I first started using torrents on my 1st router. You can easily fix it by going into the advanced options of your torrent client and reducing the max max number of global connections. It is probably set to unlimited atm. And before you say, no you shouldnt have to do that because all the routers I have had over the years and can handle more simultaeous connections that I have ever used. If you use torrents a lot, for this reason along with many others, I suggest putting the shub into modem mode and relieving it of its routing burden and investing in a proper router.

Are you reading this carlwaring?
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:51   #4
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Put your superhub in modem mode and use the router you were using with 10 meg. Or buy a decent router.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:52   #5
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I dont think most people realise this but routers can only handle a certain number of connections going in and out of it. You are more than likely maxing out the number of connections the shub can handle which will cause it to lock up. I had the same thing happen about 10 years ago when I first started using torrents on my 1st router. You can easily fix it by going into the advanced options of your torrent client and reducing the max max number of global connections. It is probably set to unlimited atm. And before you say, no you shouldnt have to do that because all the routers I have had over the years and can handle more simultaeous connections that I have ever used. If you use torrents a lot, for this reason along with many others, I suggest putting the shub into modem mode and relieving it of its routing burden and investing in a proper router.

Are you reading this carlwaring?
I have had my shub in modem mode for ages because of the problems i have with the router side. I built one of these and it works superb http://www.clearfoundation.com

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:14   #6
Aeropars
Inactive

Thanks for the replies. I forgot to add, I have put my router in modem mode and I'm using the same Dlink DIR-655 i used on the 10mb service. I still get flashing lights on the modem when i can't get on the internet so it doesn't appear to have locked up.

I have set the global connections in utorrent as well (to 200 i think). The problem is certainly with the internet connection as i have only to reset the modem for it to come back to life.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:30   #7
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

Maybe all the publicity generated by ThePirateBay blocking has increased the usage of torrents and you are now actually using all 200 connections whereas before you weren't?

I'd recommend that you investigate alternatives to torrents because once you've got a Superhub you're stuck with it and as that was all that's changed it clearly suggests it's to blame. Of course you could also investigate alternate ISPs.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:39   #8
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikbreaks View Post
Maybe all the publicity generated by ThePirateBay blocking has increased the usage of torrents and you are now actually using all 200 connections whereas before you weren't?

I'd recommend that you investigate alternatives to torrents because once you've got a Superhub you're stuck with it and as that was all that's changed it clearly suggests it's to blame. Of course you could also investigate alternate ISPs.
Well i wouldn't bother investigating BT they throttle torrents to an almost criminal extent
Old 09-05-2012, 10:45   #9
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
BT [they] throttle torrents to an almost criminal extent
Made me smile considering the likely content of the torrents and the vitriolic arguments in the TPB blocking thread about the semantics of the legality or otherwise of hookey downloads.

I thought all torrent freaks used paid-for VPNs. Certainly the one (or more) round my way must in order to cripple my connection the way it has been since VM sold 100Mbps unlimited and gave up on the "detrimental use" threats.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:58   #10
Aeropars
Inactive

I don't really understand why it would suddenly change though. I've downloaded a torrent this morning with no problems so i guess I'll have to do some more testing. I'll try reducing the global connections as well.

Regarding throttling, I've not had much of an issue and am happy with the speeds. I only tend to use if to TV episodes I had missed so i can wait :-)
Old 09-05-2012, 12:06   #11
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
Well i wouldn't bother investigating BT they throttle torrents to an almost criminal extent
I don't torrent but my flatmate gets full speed down (75mbps) and full speed up (19mbps) on torrents at any time of day. There's no visible throttling at all (though there used to be).

It's actually making my usage meter go off the scale. No need for any paid-for VPNs.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:12   #12
DABhand
Inactive

DABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of light

20mb upload wut?

Are you talking nonsense again qas? :P
DABhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:15   #13
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

No, BT aren't stingy with upload speed like VM.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:16   #14
DABhand
Inactive

DABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of light

Infinity is offering 20mb uploads? I think you may find its a cap at 15mb.
DABhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:25   #15
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Not according to

www.bt.com/infinity

or

http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home...es/nga00612.do

or

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/...broadband.html

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKg3c...layer_embedded

or