Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think driving is bad in London?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Think driving is bad in London?

Old 11-04-2017, 22:14   #1
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Think driving is bad in London?

How about Moscow?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7oAha4LzbQ

There's a whole lot more videos in the series and some swearing but it's all in Russian.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-04-2017, 10:14   #2
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone
Re: Think driving is bad in London?

I don't know about Moscow, but it's bad all over the UK

I think a lot is down to the almost total lack of non camera based enforcement.

The latest thing I see regularly (which almost stopped for a good 20 years or so) are people now, not just 'Amber Gambling' at lights, but going over, even 2, 3, 4 seconds after red.

Perhaps the 'I'll drive everywhere at 40 mph no matter what' brigade
30 mph zone - 40 mph, 70 dual carriageway - 40 mph in the overtaking lane..

Another oldie but goodie is people parking or abandoning their cars, anywhere possible.

Double yellows - check, on a junction -check, obstructing the footpath - check, parking on a narrow road directly opposite another parked car, blocking the road to anything wider than a car - check.

and on and on and on.

Cause? God knows, probably that marvelous since the start of the century attitude of 'I'm ok, fark you Jack'

Reinforced by almost zero policing.

We don't need to go as far as Russia to see bad driving
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:50   #3
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

I guess it's inevitable that those who commit offences and get caught/fined etc. complain about too much policing and those who reckon there isn't enough.

When it comes to parking, our local borough has an online facility to report parking offences (amongst other problems) and in my experience they're acted upon very promptly indeed. When it comes to driving, most of the enforcement seems to be done by cameras which have their uses but obviously aren't the equivalent of traffic police.

What I'm noticing more and more is the deliberate use of the right only lane at junctions by people who then try to accelerate hard and cut in front of the drivers turning left. The same thing often happens at multi-lane roundabouts where lane discipline seems increasingly to be a thing of the past and people will cut in from both sides.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:59   #4
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
I don't know about Moscow, but it's bad all over the UK

I think a lot is down to the almost total lack of non camera based enforcement.

The latest thing I see regularly (which almost stopped for a good 20 years or so) are people now, not just 'Amber Gambling' at lights, but going over, even 2, 3, 4 seconds after red.
Junction with the A27 up the road from me they're still running the red even after the other traffic has started moving.

Quote:
Perhaps the 'I'll drive everywhere at 40 mph no matter what' brigade
30 mph zone - 40 mph, 70 dual carriageway - 40 mph in the overtaking lane..
They're aweful, I'll include the "I'm doing 40 in the outside lane because I want to turn right 2 miles further on but I get stuck in the inside lane because I won't get a move on."

Quote:
Another oldie but goodie is people parking or abandoning their cars, anywhere possible.

Double yellows - check, on a junction -check, obstructing the footpath - check, parking on a narrow road directly opposite another parked car, blocking the road to anything wider than a car - check.
I got a WVM over the road from us: Half on the pavement, over the double yellow and facing the wrong way after dark.

No doubt he'd create merry hell when something hits it. With a car parked our side so the street is narrowed to a single car width and the speed the rat runners do combined with it being a bus route it's almost inevitable.

Quote:
Cause? God knows, probably that marvelous since the start of the century attitude of 'I'm ok, fark you Jack'

Reinforced by almost zero policing.

We don't need to go as far as Russia to see bad driving
That's a truism.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:01   #5
Osem
Inactive

I had a look at a few more of the videos last night and some of the behaviour of the motorists concerned is quite incredible, especially when the large stickers are placed on their cars and prove extremely tough to remove.

In this episode they take down a guy with a gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loxZgo3Jk74

Last edited by Osem; 12-04-2017 at 11:07.