Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Father loses Supreme Court case over term-time holidays

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Father loses Supreme Court case over term-time holidays

Old 06-04-2017, 23:29   #1
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Father loses Supreme Court case over term-time holidays

http://news.sky.com/story/father-los...idays-10827099

There are two answers to this from my point of view.

1) Holiday companies must be rubbing there hands in joy at this. I went to a park last year. and l aid 150 quid. The SAME chalet for the HOT SEASON of July and August was 780 quid.

These holiday companies make there money from beer sales.

2) I believe that schools should allow SEVEN DAYS only, if the parents ask for permission, under the instructions that they do homework while on holiday. So they are fulfilling there education.

If you think parents on financial hardship can get cheaper deals out of season should be allowed to have holidays.

I look at it this was IF MPs are allowed so many weeks off on holiday, then so should we and we work very hard all year.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-04-2017, 23:38   #2
duncan.stevenson
cf.member

Services: VIVID200 Gamer, Mix TV with V6 TiVo
duncan.stevenson is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Father loses Supreme Court case over term-time holidays

I have fairly little sympathy. Growing up we didn't have a lot of money, but we still had some lovely memorable holidays staying with family down south. Yes, I was jealous of my friends going to Disney World every year, but we couldn't afford it.

I wonder if different councils could stagger school holidays so not all kids were off at the same time. This would certainly lower the impact of the price surge, and could also help parents with annual leave if not everyone is off at the same time. In Scotland we have a bit of this benefit as our Summer holidays don't line up with the English holidays, so there are a few weeks which are cheaper than the rest of Summer.

I feel sorry for the stretched teaching staff who, in addition to the everyday issues of large class sizes, cuts to support for children with additional needs, and paying out of pocket for classroom essentials, also find they have to help children 1:1 who have been taken out of school and missed some classwork. It can't be easy for them.
duncan.stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 23:39   #3
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Well they DON'T make thier money from beer sales! That much is obvious. Its made from people buying the holidays at high prices during the school holidays.

Its been that way for years as they know they can make the money and during school term will sell at a loss usually just to make sure they get people to come.
Old 06-04-2017, 23:43   #4
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
Re: Holiday Companies joy

And how many of the chalets would have been empty during term time? Their costs don't magically disappear. The £780 is probably near the true cost whatever the time of year. The £150 will be below cost, but having the £150 is better than £0. The total annual income has to come from somewhere. Without the £150 people, the cost whatever the time of year would have to be more than £780 to cover the gap.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 00:17   #5
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
http://news.sky.com/story/father-los...idays-10827099

There are two answers to this from my point of view.

1) Holiday companies must be rubbing there hands in joy at this. I went to a park last year. and l aid 150 quid. The SAME chalet for the HOT SEASON of July and August was 780 quid.

These holiday companies make there money from beer sales.

2) I believe that schools should allow SEVEN DAYS only, if the parents ask for permission, under the instructions that they do homework while on holiday. So they are fulfilling there education.

If you think parents on financial hardship can get cheaper deals out of season should be allowed to have holidays.

I look at it this was IF MPs are allowed so many weeks off on holiday, then so should we and we work very hard all year.
1. Your holiday park has fixed overheads - staff costs etc - that it has to cover, 52 weeks of the year. Off season, it may let its chalets at cost, or at a loss, in order to at least partially cover those costs. However in order for the business to be sustainable, make a profit and generate capital for expansion, in the summer, when the market supports it, the price has to be higher. If they let you have the chalet for £150 in August they'd go bust within a year.

2. There is absolutely no way that any child is going to sit by the pool in Marbella and do their maths homework. Asking them to do so is a waste of time.

Holidays on the Med are not a human right. They are a luxury and a privilege. If you can't afford to do it during one of the 12 or more weeks per year that the kids aren't at school (and right now, I can't) then you don't. Simples.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 13:11   #6
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

As a retired teacher I have no sympathy what so ever.
Old 07-04-2017, 13:15   #7
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

as a former pupil who never had family holidays i weep for the poor children

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jFqhjaGh30
Old 07-04-2017, 15:48   #8
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Glad he lost the case, he did come over as a smug so and so. By the look of his house he could easily have afforded to take his daughter on holiday whenever. Just publicity seeking. Her attendance of 92% isn't brilliant anyway - that's a lot of school missed.

Think there is a case for phasing school holidays around the country; that should nicely muck up the holiday companies and make it more of a level playing field.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 16:00   #9
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Indeed. 92% is barely better than one day off a fortnight.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 16:04   #10
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Why should staggering school holidays achieve that much? We would only be talking about one week either way. The total annual cost for the hotel, ie not the holiday company, has to be recouped whatever way you look at things. It is not a school holiday time increase, but a term-time decrease in price.

Whatever mucking about with the school holidays dates, the price will remain the same. There is no cost savings from it to be made by the hotels. The only possible beneficial impact is a lower peak demand for flights. How much unfilled cheaper end demand is there? That would determine any potential small reduction in non-term-time costs. How many people are not currently going on holiday, but would if the price dropped a few %?
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 20:50   #11
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

As we are told in this greedy world of ours PROFIT IS GOOD or is that GOD.
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:40   #12
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard s View Post
As we are told in this greedy world of ours PROFIT IS GOOD or is that GOD.
Turnover is vanity, profit is sanity.

If a business doesn't make a profit, it won't stay in business and employ people - it's getting the balance right that's important.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 19:12   #13
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star

Another thing to consider is that maybe the father could only get time off at that particular time. I know with the company I work for allows holidays on a FCFS basis.
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 19:24   #14
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Its just complete nanny state nonsense.

They can have a week off due to illness and no one bats an eyelid.

I once had four weeks off due to a combination of illness issues, and I was fine.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 19:31   #15
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Its just complete nanny state nonsense.

They can have a week off due to illness and no one bats an eyelid.

I once had four weeks off due to a combination of illness issues, and I was fine.
they sent my neighbors kid home because her trousers where allegedly too tight ,fashion trumped education on that occasion .