Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Do you use Kodi?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Internet Discussion

Do you use Kodi?

Old 27-01-2017, 19:20   #1
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Do you use Kodi?

With Kodi boxes in the news at the moment I thought I would ask the question whether you guys use Kodi as part of your viewing habits and on which devices?

I now use it all the time either on Amazon Fire Sticks or when travelling on my tablet.

I use it so much I am thinking of ditching Netflix and dropping Virgin TV.
Old 27-01-2017, 19:48   #2
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
Re: Do you use Kodi?

I've been using it instead of torrents. For live stuff I think it's pants but box sets are good
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 20:29   #3
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
I've been using it instead of torrents. For live stuff I think it's pants but box sets are good
This. Except for live stuff I use P2P add-ons. More or less for foreign broadcasters using premier league games. Just easier to get HD streams via P2P.

I know I'm guilty but I don't feel it. I sub Sky right through for Sky sports and BT sports but find myself using Kodi for American TV shows rather than waiting for it to appear ridiculously late sometimes for UK broadcast.

Other subs are Netflix, Prime and Spotify. Games I just pay for outright, I used to try before you buy with torrents many moons ago but when I moved into high paying work I just started buying them legitimately and since steam started offering refunds I have nothing to lose.

All in all, various subs and Kodi have wiped out my usage of torrents except for the odd P2P stream.

Something will give soon if people start having the mindset they should cancel subs and solely use something like Kodi. Whether they'll lower sub prices across the board or penalise existing customers, it could be good or bad. So I have no sympathy for anyone using this to watch UK broadcasts. As for foreign, my viewership is money they couldn't possibly lose as I can't subscribe to it, I'm still guilty ofc.

I used to sub something called PLP, an Asian dedicated site that showed premier league games until it became a VPN faf on. Not sure if it was legal or not.

Last edited by adzii_nufc; 27-01-2017 at 20:37.
adzii_nufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 20:41   #4
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I use it on my Firestick, to play the TV programmes I download onto my local network.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 20:58   #5
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

I was told about it but am wary of VM/HMG's policy on it.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 21:18   #6
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Don't think there is anything to worry about, as it stands Kodi is perfectly legal, not sure if VM will be able to tell how I use it like they can do with torrents.
Old 27-01-2017, 22:11   #7
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Don't think there is anything to worry about, as it stands Kodi is perfectly legal, not sure if VM will be able to tell how I use it like they can do with torrents.
Why would virgin care, unless a court tells them to care
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 23:00   #8
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Kodi is perfectly legal. Using it to access copyrighted material and subscription based services is not, don't confuse the two. As it stands however, the UK courts are only pursuing P2P torrenting. As it stands with single server streaming, it tends to be the host that is pursued and punished, as I've said though, this will change thanks to Kodi, eventually they'll chase those that are getting sub based services for free.

VM and any other ISP at any point could very easily see what you're watching. What you're doing on Kodi is literally no different than watching the same stream on the hosted site itself. All Kodi is doing is opening the link and playing it in its own video client.

As above, these attitudes will eventually push the boat one way or another and some form of action will eventually come.

Kodi will be responsible for a crack down on single server streaming. It's deluded to believe Sky and Virgin will just sit on their arse whilst people cancel their subs and rip their content off for free. It'll come if people keep up this mindset

---------- Post added at 21:50 ---------- Previous post was at 21:49 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Why would virgin care, unless a court tells them to care
Because the majority of boxes in use in the UK, let's be fair here are being used to access VM and Sky's subscription based content - those using Kodi to watch live TV. Eventually something will give.

---------- Post added at 22:00 ---------- Previous post was at 21:50 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
I was told about it but am wary of VM/HMG's policy on it.
Right now, single server streaming isn't a priority for anyone. It's still a game of P2P sharing.

Last edited by adzii_nufc; 27-01-2017 at 23:14.
adzii_nufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 00:45   #9
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
I assume the OP is alluding to the "fully loaded" addons you can install in Kodi, rather than Kodi itself.

Someone local to us has been flogging Amazon sticks with Kodi plus extras preinstalled. Suffice it to say the local chavs are not buying them to facilitate local network streaming of their own legally owned content.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 11:07   #10
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

to be honest, watching 'live tv' on Kodi is actually a right pain in the ass.

It is however just fine for watching Movies & TV Series, but Live TV is always a bit of a holy grail - unless of course you subscribe to something like IPTV, but then you may just as well subscribe to Sky/Virgin as its a lot less hassle.

Don't believe me, grab something like iVue TV Guide and then assign channels to it, you'll soon find out that add-ons are notoriously unreliable, what works on Tuesday, might work on Thursday, and definitely won't on Friday.

I'd be extremely surprised if more than a few % of Kodi users are watching Live TV in any meaningful way.

I downgraded my Virgin to Freeview channels only but as I don't really watch much in the way of Live TV it wasn't difficult.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 15:40   #11
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
to be honest, watching 'live tv' on Kodi is actually a right pain in the ass.

It is however just fine for watching Movies & TV Series, but Live TV is always a bit of a holy grail - unless of course you subscribe to something like IPTV, but then you may just as well subscribe to Sky/Virgin as its a lot less hassle.

Don't believe me, grab something like iVue TV Guide and then assign channels to it, you'll soon find out that add-ons are notoriously unreliable, what works on Tuesday, might work on Thursday, and definitely won't on Friday.

I'd be extremely surprised if more than a few % of Kodi users are watching Live TV in any meaningful way.

I downgraded my Virgin to Freeview channels only but as I don't really watch much in the way of Live TV it wasn't difficult.
I mainly use Kodi for TV series and movies, i have tested out live TV which is hit and miss like you say but it can work.
Old 28-01-2017, 21:18   #12
Onramp
Inactive

Onramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enough

I don't use Kodi or watch TV or have a TV license.

As a software developer though, I do find the technology insteresting, however.

An interesting future question (in general) would be: "Who uses VM broadband to watch Sky Q?" (instead of a dish)

Last edited by Onramp; 28-01-2017 at 21:30.
Onramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 14:45   #13
willie
cf.geek

Services: VM 200mb VM Phone M
willie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these parts
Send a message via MSN to willie
Talking Re: Do you use Kodi?

I use to own a tv not any more it was a 56 inch plasma had it for about 6 years and the last 4 years of those 6 i think i turned it on about 5 times as the programmes were just bs, when i moved house it was the vm engineer that introduced me to xbmc(now kodi) i mainly use it to watch old classic tv and films, have not seen a live transmission in about 6 years any way besides that i am very seldom in my house and when i am it i usually to sleep as i am either @ work or in my local refreshment establishment having a cocktail or 2 and throwing darts
willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 15:37   #14
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
i have tested out live TV which is hit and miss like you say but it can work.
Depends on the source and the addon.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 14:19   #15
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

I'm running the OpenElec distro on a Raspberry Pi 3B. There's a modicum of technical nouse required to set it up as opposed to buying a hacked Firestick from some spiv down the pub but it's nice and slick and easy to update once installed.

It's mainly used to watch the odd, old tv show and the NASCAR when I can get a decent source that is although haven't tried any of the P2P add-ons yet (yes it is configured with and auto-starts with VPN up)
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote