Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Should there a European Super League

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport

Should there a European Super League
View Poll Results: Do you want a European Super League?
Yes 3 15.00%
NO 17 85.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30-01-2012, 13:41   #1
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart
Should there a European Super League

What I want to ask is that should the major clubs of Europe leave their current leagues and start a European Super League so that other clubs can win their national competitions and the Champions League?
Alan Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-01-2012, 13:43   #2
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week
Re: Should there a European Super League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Fry View Post
What I want to ask is that should the major clubs of Europe leave their current leagues and start a European Super League so that other clubs can win their national competitions and the Champions League?
I thought we already one in the Champions league
Old 30-01-2012, 13:45   #3
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
I thought we already one in the Champions league
It meant one so that they big clubs can play in rather than play in the Champions league and the Premier League, so the rest of us can win them!
Old 30-01-2012, 13:47   #4
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

How do I make the word 'no' sound any more emphatic?

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 13:47   #5
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Wouldn't take be a tad expensive for the fans?
Old 30-01-2012, 13:49   #6
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
I know what you think, I am asking what other CF Users think, I am moving this debate out of "Football" thread

You can vote "Yes" or "No" and be honest!
Old 30-01-2012, 13:49   #7
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

The simple answer is no.
Old 30-01-2012, 13:50   #8
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
Wouldn't take be a tad expensive for the fans?
It is very expensive right now, especially if you get tickets from a major club!
Old 30-01-2012, 13:51   #9
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
It meant one so that they big clubs can play in rather than play in the Champions league and the Premier League, so the rest of us can win them!
who do you mean by the "rest of us "
I realy don't see what the point of your question is because the top UK/European clubs are already well catered for in the Champions league an EUFA cups which are the same as a 'super league' ...to me anyway
Old 30-01-2012, 13:53   #10
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

Euro league and Champons league are more than enough ..as well as playing for a domestic league

I do think each team should limit the amount of foreign players in their available 25 man squad to a max of 5, concentrate more on home grown talent
(but hey, that's a bit off topic)

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 14:09   #11
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
who do you mean by the "rest of us "
I realy don't see what the point of your question is because the top UK/European clubs are already well catered for in the Champions league an EUFA cups which are the same as a 'super league' ...to me anyway
So that other smaller football clubs do not put themselfs out of business and to create a more competitive league!
Old 30-01-2012, 14:16   #12
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Be a bit tricky going to some of the away matches.....
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 14:17   #13
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Yes a big strain on the pocket for one thing.
Old 30-01-2012, 14:29   #14
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Be a bit tricky going to some of the away matches.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Yes a big strain on the pocket for one thing.
Depends on how you travel

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 14:38   #15
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
So that other smaller football clubs do not put themselfs out of business and to create a more competitive league!
Is there any evidence that works? After all, IIRC, they said they same would happen when the Premier League was created. All that happened is that Sky threw money at the Premier league. As a result, Player costs and wages went through the roof, and as a result, despite high ticket costs and a good payout from sky, most of the Premier League clubs are heavily in debt. In fact, according to http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datab...-accounts-debt, 16 of the top 20 clubs recorded a loss in 2009/2010. The total loss for the clubs was nearly half a billion pounds.

I can sort of see what you are saying though. I think you are thinking that if the likes of Arsenal, Man U and Chelsea are off playing in some European league, then the money for the TV rights (and radio rights assuming there is any) will be spread amongst the lower clubs more easily.

That may be true, but Sky provide a lot of that money. Sky are a business, so it's in their interest to provide what their customers are interested in. Their customers (a lot of whom support Premier League clubs) are likely to want to continue watching those clubs. So, I think that if the clubs leave the English league for some European league, so will the money they attract.

Personally, I think the Champions league is enough. It offers a chance for the top European clubs to compete against each other, but allows them to play in their home country as well.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote