Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Someone's mobile phone keeps overiding my TiVo!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Someone's mobile phone keeps overiding my TiVo!

Old 08-04-2017, 21:13   #1
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Someone's mobile phone keeps overiding my TiVo!

A Samsung Galaxy iPhone occasionally keeps cutting off the TiVo from being received by my TV!

Is there any way for this to stop? Is it him or me doing something wrong with my TV or TiVo settings? If I ever cast something to my TV, will he or others be able to see my tablet?

My TV is also made by Samsung, if that's relevant.

Many thanks.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-04-2017, 09:45   #2
paultrademark
Inactive

Services: 70MB BB
paultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful one
Re: Someone's mobile phone keeps overiding my TiVo!

No such thing as a Samsung iPhone
paultrademark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:19   #3
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

How do you know what make of phone it is? Only devices known to tvanywhere can communicate with the Tivo and even then only over your local network.

Added after thinking it might be able to interfere with recordings etc. A little more information would be useful.

Last edited by arcimedes; 09-04-2017 at 10:23.
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 12:56   #4
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcimedes View Post
How do you know what make of phone it is? Only devices known to tvanywhere can communicate with the Tivo and even then only over your local network.

Added after thinking it might be able to interfere with recordings etc. A little more information would be useful.
Sometimes you can tell if you log into your router my phone shows up in connections as iphone 5s, my android box just says unidentified device and the tv says samsungplc.
theone2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 15:32   #5
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

What happens is the sound goes off and the picture is replaced by the home screen of a phone. There's loads of icons like Google, what's app, and some in Polish which is why I think it's a pole that's doing it.

At the top it definitely said Samsung Galaxy as I've heard of these phones and noted it was the same manufacturer of my TV. I'll double check next time it happens to see if it says iPhone afterwards.

It's only happened twice over the year, but happened twice in a row the other night. Nothing ever happens after the home screen, which makes me think that they can't get what they want to do to work. Maybe it isn't casting after all??

I only use the TiVo to watch recordings (not sure if it's actually on the recording or not, I'll have to check next time it happens).

It's also a Smart TV that's connected to the WiFi too.

I'm reluctant to change the password as it's printed beneath the VM WiFi router, but will if I have to. My memory isn't what it was following a fall resulting in a mild brain injury.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 09-04-2017 at 15:40.
Old 09-04-2017, 15:44   #6
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

A Samsung iPhone?? that just doesn't exist. It would be a Samsung Galaxy, of which there are many models. But it would be android in that case,.

If they are direct casting to TV, i think you could turn that off in the TV settings?

Last edited by Stephen; 09-04-2017 at 15:56.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 17:38   #7
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
What happens is the sound goes off and the picture is replaced by the home screen of a phone. There's loads of icons like Google, what's app, and some in Polish which is why I think it's a pole that's doing it.

At the top it definitely said Samsung Galaxy as I've heard of these phones and noted it was the same manufacturer of my TV. I'll double check next time it happens to see if it says iPhone afterwards.

It's only happened twice over the year, but happened twice in a row the other night. Nothing ever happens after the home screen, which makes me think that they can't get what they want to do to work. Maybe it isn't casting after all??

I only use the TiVo to watch recordings (not sure if it's actually on the recording or not, I'll have to check next time it happens).

I'm reluctant to change the password as it's printed beneath the VM WiFi router, but will if I have to. My memory isn't what it was following a fall resulting in a mild brain injury.
Sounds to me that some one has your password and is playing games with you using phone via tv anywhere.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 18:09   #8
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post

Is your tv a samsung smart tv?
If so from what you're saying it seems like someone has paired their phone up to your tv and you are seeing their phone, go into your smart hub look for samsung cast or whatever it's called now it'll look like the icon on their google play app see here https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....samsung&hl=en remove all devices and set a pin that should stop it.
theone2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 18:20   #9
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Thats screen mirroring to your tv, nothing to do with Tivo
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 19:55   #10
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Thats screen mirroring to your tv, nothing to do with Tivo
Yes, I agree.

I keep getting prompted about casting and as such I'm pretty sure one of my neighbours has a Chromecast or similar device. One of these days I'm convinced I'll accidentally cast to it.

Your TV will just have casting built-in and be set to look out for requests. Have a look through your TV settings, you'll probably be able to switch it off or lock it down and de-pair it.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:06   #11
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
Is your tv a samsung smart tv?
If so from what you're saying it seems like someone has paired their phone up to your tv and you are seeing their phone, go into your smart hub look for samsung cast or whatever it's called now it'll look like the icon on their google play app see here https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....samsung&hl=en remove all devices and set a pin that should stop it.
Yes, it's a Samsung Smart TV.

Many thanks​, that worked. There was a Samsung Galaxy marked as a phone in brackets, I'd misread the opening bracket as an 'i'