Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 1 high beep one low beep on boot-up

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

1 high beep one low beep on boot-up

Old 09-02-2004, 18:04   #16
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 V6 running 360. 500mb BB, Phone line, mobile simm.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
Re: 1 high beep one low beep on boot-up

Two beeps, or not two beeps, that is the question.......I'm sorry,I'm so sorry..

I just couldn't resist that
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-02-2004, 18:08   #17
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadom
Two beeps, or not two beeps, that is the question.......I'm sorry,I'm so sorry..

I just couldn't resist that

, you deserved that , i still cant find the error you are on about , best try the cmos thing and see if it helps , if it doesnt , then maybe try flashing it , how often is this happening btw
paulyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 18:22   #18
MarkBooth
Inactive

MarkBooth is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulyoung666
, you deserved that , i still cant find the error you are on about , best try the cmos thing and see if it helps , if it doesnt , then maybe try flashing it , how often is this happening btw
Every time he boots up his machine. It makes said sound and says the thing about the BIOS ROM checksum error, and does nothing else.

BTW, I said "Just the once it beeps" earlier on. Makes me sound like Yoda!!
MarkBooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 18:26   #19
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkBooth
Every time he boots up his machine. It makes said sound and says the thing about the BIOS ROM checksum error, and does nothing else.

BTW, I said "Just the once it beeps" earlier on. Makes me sound like Yoda!!

and after it does that it boots normally or hangs up
Old 09-02-2004, 18:27   #20
MarkBooth
Inactive

Quote:
and after it does that it boots normally or hangs up
Hangs up, and nothing else happens.
Old 09-02-2004, 18:29   #21
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Hangs up, and nothing else happens.

have you checked the processor fan ?????????????
Old 09-02-2004, 18:46   #22
MarkBooth
Inactive

Quote:
have you checked the processor fan ?????????????
Er, will do, when I see my friends machine. Why, what should I be looking out for, whether the fan is misaligned?
Old 09-02-2004, 19:56   #23
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Er, will do, when I see my friends machine. Why, what should I be looking out for, whether the fan is misaligned?

make sure it is running
Old 10-02-2004, 00:39   #24
MarkBooth
Inactive

Quote:
make sure it is running
Ok, I've now seen my mates machine. No joy

The system seems to be bypassing the bios (which is Award BTW). As soon as I start the machine, with a system disk in it comes up with "Detecting floppy drive A media" and runs off what's on the A drive until the C prompt. I can#t get any CD-Rom drivers to work on it. I tried taking out the CMOS jumper and putting it back on the board to no avail.

I've never ever tried a BIOS Flash before, so would not try it. (Saying that, where do I get the motherboard settings friom to make the file in the first place?) With the 2 sounds coming up and all the literature/websites I've read saying nothing about that error, I'm thinking of giving the motherboard up for dead.

Any more suggestions? (Many were useful, so thank's for your help so far.)
Old 10-02-2004, 01:37   #25
Sociable
Inactive

Sociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:

The system seems to be bypassing the bios (which is Award BTW). As soon as I start the machine, with a system disk in it comes up with "Detecting floppy drive A media" and runs off what's on the A drive until the C prompt. I can#t get any CD-Rom drivers to work on it. I tried taking out the CMOS jumper and putting it back on the board to no avail.
OK from this it appears to be saying the IDE channels are down as it can access and load dos from the A: drive, but you have no access to either CDrom or HD.

Or are you able to see the C: drive after booting to a floppy this way?

As far as cd-rom drivers go which boot floppy are you using and are you selecting to boot with cdrom support or not?

Could be worth opening up the case and double checking the IDE cable is not loose too as well as checking power supply to HD and CD-Rom.

If all conections appear to be OK next step will be to go into the bios setup to check nothing is messed in there possibly someone having messed up something like disabling the IDE channels.

One last possibility while you are there is to try the Main HD on the secondary IDE channel just in case it is just the primary one that is down.

Fingers crossed one of these will sort the problem if not is sounding like upgrade time.
Sociable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 01:45   #26
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sociable
OK from this it appears to be saying the IDE channels are down as it can access and load dos from the A: drive, but you have no access to either CDrom or HD.

As far as cd-rom drivers go which boot floppy are you using and are you selecting to boot with cdrom support or not?

Could be worth opening up the case and double checking the IDE cable is not loose too as well as checking power supply to HD and CD-Rom.

If all conections appear to be OK next step will be to go into the bios setup to check nothing is messed in there possibly someone having messed up something like disabling the IDE channels.

One last possibility while you are there is to try the Main HD on the secondary IDE channel just in case it is just the primary one that is down.

Fingers crossed one of these will sort the problem if not is sounding like upgrade time.
Check to see if the bios is seing the hdd as Sociable suggested.... You may allso want to try the hdd in a diff. computer
Stuartbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 01:57   #27
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

Have you tried reseating the memory and CPU?

It could also be the battery that is causing the checksum errors according to one site that I have been looking at http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/comp/mbs..._Corrupted.htm
I would have a read of this and also the pages linked, especially the one on troubleshooting the motherboard. Another site worth a glance is http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm
ian@huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 10:23   #28
MarkBooth
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sociable

I can see the C drive after and only after I put the floppy disk in, and using CD ROM support, but probably because of huge differences between mine and my mates machine, the CD drivers refuse to load (he made an error of not making an Emergency Floppy).

All cables are okay.

I can't get into the BIOS to change any settings. It's as though the startup is totally bypassing the BIOS, as though it's not there.

Lastly, I can't seem to find an adequate description of the 2 beeps for an Award BIOS. For 2 beeps it says check the screen for details of the error, and I've resolved that error, leaving me with only 2mb of disk capacity on drive C, which I'm lead to believe is set aside by the BIOS anyway.

My mate said he would take everything out of the PC, and reconnect them, but I can't see that working.
Old 10-02-2004, 10:30   #29
Bifta
Inactive

Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star
Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star

Quote:

I've never ever tried a BIOS Flash before, so would not try it. (Saying that, where do I get the motherboard settings friom to make the file in the first place?) With the 2 sounds coming up and all the literature/websites I've read saying nothing about that error, I'm thinking of giving the motherboard up for dead.

Any more suggestions? (Many were useful, so thank's for your help so far.)
If your BIOS is corrupted and you're unable to retrieve it (and I don't think resetting a jumper will do that, that will only clear the BIOS settings) then you're left with only 2 choices, reflash the bios or buy a new motherboard, you can get a BIOS bin file from the motherboard manufacturers web site along with the relevant DOS flashing tool, it'll give you full instructions on how to flash the BIOS so it's almost impossible to mess it up (unless you have a power cut or turn the machine off while it's doing the business)
Bifta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 10:34   #30
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bifta
If your BIOS is corrupted and you're unable to retrieve it (and I don't think resetting a jumper will do that, that will only clear the BIOS settings) then you're left with only 2 choices, reflash the bios or buy a new motherboard, you can get a BIOS bin file from the motherboard manufacturers web site along with the relevant DOS flashing tool, it'll give you full instructions on how to flash the BIOS so it's almost impossible to mess it up (unless you have a power cut or turn the machine off while it's doing the business)

it certainly looks as though that is what you are going to have to do , i must admit though , i am still curious about the error beeps