Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Catch up tv programmes missing

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Five questions about Tivo after 6 months use, help please

Old 22-04-2012, 19:04   #1
pop80_uk
Inactive

pop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant future
Five questions about Tivo after 6 months use, help please

Hey all,
Well we have had Tivo for just over 6 months now, going from a V+. Its 50/50 on love / hate for the Tivo but in our house we have 5 regular questions which were hoping you guys can answer!

1) When recording a series such as location, location for the missus, sometimes it will record quite a few. When we come to delete them we have a folder neatly placed but then have to select the individual episodes and go through two or three menus to delete, is there a quicker way to select them all and do one delete?

2) Red button does not appear on any channel?

3) Iplayer seems to spend alot of time buffering during play back, its Ok most of the time but did it three times the other night, which can get a little tiresome, can we sort this?

4) Is there any way to reduce the number of steps to get to a the on demand?

5) Have they provided a patch for the reminder feature? we miss that quite alot

Thanks!
pop80_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-04-2012, 19:24   #2
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Re: Five questions about Tivo after 6 months use, help please

I have TiVo question too.

I cancelled SKY Movies about 2 months ago. Why does my TiVo never record / recommend movies from terrestrial TV that I may like? For example I've gave plenty of thumbs up to zombie programmes and movies like The Walking Dead and 28 Days Later yet I know it won't recommend Day Of The Dead on ITV4 tonight, even though I have nothing else planned to record at that time.

Does TiVo not auto record movies from terrestrial TV?

P.S. I only started giving thumbs up and down to movies once I cancelled SKY Movies. Prior to that I'd happily trawl through on demand. I can't remember if TiVo ever recommended a movie for me off SKY.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 19:42   #3
Firmsky
cf.addict

Services: Ultimate ooomph
Firmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
I have TiVo question too.

I cancelled SKY Movies about 2 months ago. Why does my TiVo never record / recommend movies from terrestrial TV that I may like? For example I've gave plenty of thumbs up to zombie programmes and movies like The Walking Dead and 28 Days Later yet I know it won't recommend Day Of The Dead on ITV4 tonight, even though I have nothing else planned to record at that time.

Does TiVo not auto record movies from terrestrial TV?

P.S. I only started giving thumbs up and down to movies once I cancelled SKY Movies. Prior to that I'd happily trawl through on demand. I can't remember if TiVo ever recommended a movie for me off SKY.
Chad, neither of my TiVo boxes has ever recorded a movie for me as a suggestion whatever the platform. I've given thumbs up to several on Sky and terrestrial.
Firmsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 19:54   #4
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firmsky View Post
Chad, neither of my TiVo boxes has ever recorded a movie for me as a suggestion whatever the platform. I've given thumbs up to several on Sky and terrestrial.
That's strange, and massively disappointing. Does that come down to broadcast rights for movies and TiVo / Virgin Media not being allowed to automatically record them i.e. making a back-up or duplicate of the movie? If that is the case, why isn't that explained by Virgin on their website or the info booklet you get when TiVo is installed?

I'm of the opinion if something hasn't been explained fully to you at the point of sale, you've been mis-sold the product. If TiVo doesn't record movies people taking TiVo should be informed of this up front. If Virgin know TiVo doesn't record movies, and they choose not to make customers aware, to me that's a lie and Virgin aren't being completely open or honest. This might seem a little hard on Virgin but now I don't have SKY Movies, I'd love TiVo to auto record me films.... in fact I expect TiVo to auto record films for me. Surely that isn't too much to expect?
Old 22-04-2012, 19:56   #5
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop80_uk View Post
1) When recording a series such as location, location for the missus, sometimes it will record quite a few. When we come to delete them we have a folder neatly placed but then have to select the individual episodes and go through two or three menus to delete, is there a quicker way to select them all and do one delete?
Highlight the folder and press Clear to delete the whole folder. Or highlight individual episodes and press Clear.

Quote:
2) Red button does not appear on any channel?
It should be on almost all BBC channels, Sky Sports, CNBC and channel 999. Does it work even if the prompt isn't displayed?

Quote:
3) Iplayer seems to spend alot of time buffering during play back, its Ok most of the time but did it three times the other night, which can get a little tiresome, can we sort this?
That's broadband contention in your area. But hang in there - plans are afoot to dedicate more capacity to Tivo.

Quote:
4) Is there any way to reduce the number of steps to get to a the on demand?
For catch-up, have you tried the reverse EPG?

Quote:
5) Have they provided a patch for the reminder feature? we miss that quite alot
Not yet.

Sorry, Chad, I can't help with your question, but have you considered setting up a horror films WishList?
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 20:19   #6
Chad
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Sorry, Chad, I can't help with your question, but have you considered setting up a horror films WishList?
Yeah I've got a few things listed at the moment, including Weekend at Bernies

I just thought it would be good if TiVo automatically picked up movies through the week so come a Friday, Saturday or Sunday I'd have plenty of options to choose from. With the XL package you're probably getting access to around 100 to 150 films per week. TiVo could easily store all of these movies. Instead come a Friday, Saturday or Sunday I find myself looking through Film Flex with the wife looking for a movie........ wait a minute I wonder if this is the reason why TiVo doesn't record movies. Virgin would rather have you paying to watch movies instead of having a collection conveniently building up on your TiVo box, effectively free. Not only that, if TiVo is doing it's job correctly the movies building up on your box should match your viewing tastes. What a dream, a collection of films your likely to enjoy.

---------- Post added at 19:19 ---------- Previous post was at 19:08 ----------

I've just posted the question over on Virgins Help & Support forum for anyone that's interested:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...e/td-p/1165197

Hopefully someone in the know at Virgin can give me some feedback.
Old 22-04-2012, 20:56   #7
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

Extracted from the Tivo user guide.

"If you give something a Thumbs Up,
your TiVo box will record similar shows
and movies, and you’ll find them in your
Suggestions list. Giving a show a Thumbs
Down, will help prevent similar shows being
suggested to you in the future."

So in theory it will do what you want

Its available here

---------- Post added at 19:56 ---------- Previous post was at 19:55 ----------

Go to page 20
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 21:02   #8
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Yeah I've got a few things listed at the moment, including Weekend at Bernies
Really I meant a generic WishList, only specifying Category=Films:Horror. I've just tried it and it finds plenty, including Day of the Dead.

Set it as low priority in Manage My Series Links, then it won't interfere with any of your planned recordings.
Old 22-04-2012, 21:25   #9
Chad
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcimedes View Post
Extracted from the Tivo user guide.

"If you give something a Thumbs Up,
your TiVo box will record similar shows
and movies, and you’ll find them in your
Suggestions list. Giving a show a Thumbs
Down, will help prevent similar shows being
suggested to you in the future."

So in theory it will do what you want

Its available here

---------- Post added at 19:56 ---------- Previous post was at 19:55 ----------

Go to page 20
Yeah, it definitely does state it'll record movies. Maybe it's not a problem everyone is having, just Firmsky and myself?

Does everyone else get movie suggestions recorded automatically on their TiVo? I mean without setting up a Wish List.

---------- Post added at 20:25 ---------- Previous post was at 20:25 ----------

Quote:
Really I meant a generic WishList, only specifying Category=Films:Horror. I've just tried it and it finds plenty, including Day of the Dead.

Set it as low priority in Manage My Series Links, then it won't interfere with any of your planned recordings.
Cheers, I'll give that a tinker later.
Old 22-04-2012, 21:31   #10
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Does everyone else get movie suggestions recorded automatically on their TiVo? I mean without setting up a Wish List.
I've certainly had it record Sky Movies as suggestions until I taught it the error of its ways.

As a test, I've just thumbed a load of non-Sky films (and nothing else) on a spare TiVo, and will see what happens.
Old 22-04-2012, 21:36   #11
Chad
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I've certainly had it record Sky Movies as suggestions until I taught it the error of its ways.

As a test, I've just thumbed a load of non-Sky films (and nothing else) on a spare TiVo, and will see what happens.
That's much appreciated
Old 23-04-2012, 08:55   #12
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Ok - it does record films from terrestrial channels as Suggestions. I have Enthiran: The Robot and The Admirable Crichton on Channel 4 as upcoming Suggestions. Plus many other films from subscription channels.
Old 23-04-2012, 13:25   #13
Chad
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Ok - it does record films from terrestrial channels as Suggestions. I have Enthiran: The Robot and The Admirable Crichton on Channel 4 as upcoming Suggestions. Plus many other films from subscription channels.
Very interesting. Wonder if there is something wrong with the A.I. on my box.
Old 23-04-2012, 19:22   #14
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Very interesting. Wonder if there is something wrong with the A.I. on my box.
How many thumbs are you giving films? I think it may take three.
Old 23-04-2012, 19:53   #15
Chad
cf.mega poster

Quote:
How many thumbs are you giving films? I think it may take three.
I pretty much give everything 1 thumb unless it blows me away. I've looking at this weeks TV movies and gave the following films 3 thumbs:

Iron Man - Film 4
The Italian Job - Channel 5
Saw - E4
Die Hard 4.0 - Film 4
Total Recall - ITV2
Transporter 2 - E4
Beetlejuice - 5*
Return of The Living Dead 2 - TCM
Twelve Monkeys - SYFY
Shallow Grave - Film 4

Let's see if TiVo records them automatically for me, or suggests something similar. I've tried to pick varied films from varied channels. I expect other movies such as The Shining, XXX2, K-Pax, Gremlins, Cellular and Oceans Twelve to be suggested to me.

Will report back on Friday. Hopefully it's all down to me not giving enough thumbs up.