Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | CB'ing and Ham radio in the 21st Century

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

CB'ing and Ham radio in the 21st Century
Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 16:19   #16
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age
re: CB'ing and Ham radio in the 21st Century

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoop101 View Post
I still have this in my loft
That might could just-possibly be the one I had. It was so long ago I have forgotten for certain, but it looks familiar
Advertisement
Old 08-03-2012, 16:25   #17
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
That's an old AM set
If it has the chip I'm thinking of, with an eprom board you could get UK40FM on it :0

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 08-03-2012, 16:28   #18
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

UK40 yes, but not FM.. The UK40 boards were designed to go into the CEPT mid-band radios from the continent as they jumpered onto the PLL hence changing the band/channels and in no way could change the method of modulation from AM to FM
Old 08-03-2012, 16:30   #19
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
That might could just-possibly be the one I had. It was so long ago I have forgotten for certain, but it looks familiar
Hmmm. Maybe not then. I'm pretty-sure I was 'legal'!
Old 08-03-2012, 16:32   #20
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Weird though how we tend to use older radios instead of the modern all singing/all dancing radios..

I use a Yaesu FT80C (commercial version of the FT747 and is actually a HF radio) which I just got an FM board for, it does AM/CW/SSB/FM 100W on all bands. It is though considered an early 90's relic by a lot of people.

Old 08-03-2012, 16:34   #21
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
UK40 yes, but not FM..
I'm sure I fitted the odd FM board to AM Uniden rigs back in the day

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 08-03-2012, 16:46   #22
Kymmy
Inactive

Yes but it wasn't the UK40 board.. The FM boards were rare and didn't effect the recieved frequency.. It meant that the FM boards were common on the continent but not here..

It seemed to be a merry go round in that EU was converting AM sets, we were converting EU sets and the americans didn't realy care

Getting back to the topic of the increased sun spot activity last time it happened you could actually hear the truckers going up/down the east coast of the states on Mid-band AM
Old 08-03-2012, 16:52   #23
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

So you'd be able to convert it to UK40FM with the use of 2 separate boards then?

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 08-03-2012, 16:53   #24
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Roughly about that time I was using Uniden 2830's (also known as the President Lincoln)
Freq readout (26-30Mhz) and 50W variable right out of the back, fed that into a 27ft 3/4 wave Sirio2012 (sigma 4 copy)

---------- Post added at 12:52 ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 ----------

With the sunspot activity peaking these next few years I think we may get a resurgence..

It though does make me laugh when I see CB and HAM users on the internet using these virtual radios to talk to people.. to me it's not the idea about talking but the whole aspect about fighting the conditions, other users and idiots to get a decent conversations across
I had the same unit

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Old 08-03-2012, 16:54   #25
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

I wasn't really into CB'ing. if I did have a go it was just one nine, one nine a roger. I'd get my roger, and I'd say thanks break.

never did see it going anywhere, so didn't bother.
Old 08-03-2012, 16:55   #26
Kymmy
Inactive

Not sure Russ as the UK40 board was for a particular PLL I think the one used in the Cybernet chassis where as the FM board is more generic but it would depend very much on the radio..

The FM boards are still sold (£15)
Old 08-03-2012, 17:46   #27
data0002
cf.addict

Services: 120mg Broadband (Virgin) telephone (Virgin media) 2 x Tivo
data0002 is an unknown quantity at this point

i did use the cb band's untill they moved them in line with the rest of the world. but now days use th 70cm ham bands
Old 08-03-2012, 17:47   #28
Kymmy
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by data0002 View Post
i did use the cb band's untill they moved them in line with the rest of the world. but now days use th 70cm ham bands
Not sure there's any difference is there
Old 08-03-2012, 17:49   #29
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

I have a Cobra 148 GTL-DX, it was my grandfathers. I have no idea how to use it but we have a full set of gear here. Got a huge antenna on the roof. Do people still buy this kind of stuff?
Old 08-03-2012, 17:52   #30
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

gtldx.jpg

It's seen far better days. Bet it still works though.
Closed Thread