Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | CF: Clickers Corner

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology

CF: Clickers Corner

Old 26-10-2009, 18:46   #151
Delta Whiskey
Inactive

Services: 10Mb BB, DTV & Phone
Delta Whiskey has a nice shiny star
Delta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny star
Re: CF: Clickers Corner

Joglynne came up with a wonderful idea based on the discussions we're having here http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/27...iscussion.html about manipulation of photo's.

Someone posts an image, and the rest can do whatever they want to change it, in whatever way they choose, posting a 640x480 thumbnail back to the thread to show their work.

I'll start things off with this image: http://s936.photobucket.com/albums/ad208/Delta_Whiskey/

There are two versions there. Feel free to download them and have a play around. The crazier the better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CameraCornerImage001cutout-small.jpg (73.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg CameraCornerImage001-small.jpg (69.6 KB, 14 views)
Delta Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-10-2009, 19:40   #152
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

.... and don't worry about the extent of alterations to the original image. As long as the results don't go beyond the realms of decency you can use any trick, in any program, to get the effects you desire.

DW and I thought that, with his photos as a starting point, members might like to try making the end result a Spooky one to tie in with the Photo Competition thread this month. No prizes I'm afraid, the idea is just to have a bit of fun.

.......Now can anyone tell me in very basic terms ...how do I insert one photo in to another? : dunce: I may have started this off but I have no idea how to do anything.
Old 26-10-2009, 20:38   #153
Delta Whiskey
Inactive

Delta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny star

What software have you got available?, you need something that can handle layers.
Photoshop (how much!!!) and Elements both do, and so (I think) does the freeware GIMP.

What you do is cut out the bit of the original image that you want to put the other image into (like the hole I made in the arch) and then layer the other image underneath it.

http://www.photoshopelementsuser.com...rotolayers.php
http://www.photoshopelementsuser.com...otolayers2.php
Old 26-10-2009, 21:01   #154
joglynne
Born again teenager.

joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Well I have Elements and Gimp plus Paint Shop Pro and Paint.net so in theory I have the tools I need.

Now I just have to work out how to use them.
Old 26-10-2009, 21:44   #155
Delta Whiskey
Inactive

In Elements:

Open your Base image. On the right hand side toolbar you will see it listed as a locked layer (padlock symbol),
right-click and select 'Duplicate Layer', give it a useful name.

Left-click the new Layer to select it then:

Use the 'Quick Selection Tool' to pick out the bits you want to get rid of, then right-click inside that area
and 'Select Inverse' then right-click again and choose 'Layer via Copy'. This will cut out the bit you don't want
and put the rest in a new layer with the missing bit transparent ready for the new image to be inserted.

Open the new image, it will cover the original image, use the window tool to hide it (_)

Check that the layer you created is highlighted, then drag and drop the new image from the Project Bin onto it.
Size and change the new image to suit what you want to do. You can move the image in front of/behind the Base image
using the Layers Panel, Left-Click the layer you want to move and drag it up or down in the Layer Panel.

If you want to save the separate layers as one file, use 'Save as Photoshop PSD, PDD'

Once you're happy with your finished image use Shift-Control-E to flatten the layers into one image for saving as a .jpg.
Old 27-10-2009, 00:28   #156
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Thanks for the talk through you nice person.

I only have half my brain in gear at the moment ( the other half is watching Most Haunted Live from behind the sofa ) and I'm also attempting a new gilding technique so I think I shall have a play with your instructions tomorrow when I will be able to concentrate on just the one thing.
Old 27-10-2009, 08:54   #157
Delta Whiskey
Inactive

virtualStudio, yet another free graphics program (you cannot have too many). http://www.optikvervelabs.com/

"Want a quick alternative to opening your complex imaging application each time you want to apply artistic effects to a photo?

We make it easy to use virtualPhotographer and other popular plug-ins with virtualStudio, a full-featured digital photo editor. virtualStudio allows you to open and save over 30 file formats including jpg, jpeg2000, png, bmp, gif, tiff, psd and some RAW files."
Old 27-10-2009, 17:12   #158
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Well, I've had a play and using DW's archway and a lot of luck I have come up with my first ever thingy.

I used a combination of programs. Elements ...very hit and miss and with more good luck than I deserve I managed to paste a cut out from the photo of a painting in to the archway....and then I used Paint.net which I am more familiar with to do a bit of cloning and use the cloud effects.

The only thing I would have liked to have done was to keep the whole thing larger as I have ended up with quite a small image. So I will probably have another go.

Anyone else game to have a go?

Last edited by joglynne; 12-09-2017 at 20:41.
joglynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2009, 20:21   #159
joglynne
Born again teenager.

DW says I was maybe a tad too heavy with the clouds so just brought poor Hannah out of the dank fog a bit. I still think she may jump into the canal though. Very depressing effect.

Last edited by joglynne; 12-09-2017 at 20:41.
joglynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2009, 21:19   #160
Delta Whiskey
Inactive

A great image from joglynne, here's my interpretation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2009-10-07 - Slip BridgeSpooky4small.jpg (107.9 KB, 22 views)
Old 27-10-2009, 22:12   #161
joglynne
Born again teenager.

That's got a cat in it which makes it instantly appealing.

I like how crisp the photo looks. How many separate images did you meld together?
Old 28-10-2009, 04:33   #162
Delta Whiskey
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
That's got a cat in it which makes it instantly appealing.

I like how crisp the photo looks. How many separate images did you meld together?
I feel sorry for the bird, it doesn't know that, that particular cat is in one of its tetchy, hissy and bitey moods.

There are five layers: the moon, the cat, the bird, the dappled background and the cut out archway.
Old 31-10-2009, 08:46   #163
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

I'm seriously thinking of buying the Canon SX1 IS, What do you guys think of it?

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/161032
Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2009, 11:07   #164
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Product 13 View Post
I'm seriously thinking of buying the Canon SX1 IS, What do you guys think of it?

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/161032
Only just recommended:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonsx1is/

IMHO, there are better options for your money.
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 19:00   #165
Delta Whiskey
Inactive

It's a nice looking camera and it's getting reasonable reviews. I think the 20x optical zoom is great as long as you are going to use a tripod for the longer lengths, as there is no way you'll be able to hand hold it at 560mm and get a sharp image. If you can live with a smaller amount of zoom then I'd look at some of the Fuji camera's. Here's one I like: Fujifilm FinePix S2000HD Digital Camera - Black (10MP, 15x Optical Zoom) 2.7 inch LCD http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fujifilm-Fin...7274760&sr=1-6