Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Ram?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

Ram?

Old 14-03-2012, 20:00   #1
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts
Ram?

I have 4 gig at the moment do you think it might be worth getting another 4 to make 8gig?

Its cheap at the moment but would rather not waste £40 just for the sake of something that might be outdated to DDR4/5 ram by the time programs get around to using 8 gigs.

I do play games but most I have seen use is 2gig I dont do any video editing or play microsoft flight simulator where 8 gigs might be needed for that.

---------- Post added at 19:00 ---------- Previous post was at 18:58 ----------

Thought I might add that in task manager its says I am using 26% of ram when idle
Gavin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-03-2012, 20:22   #2
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Ram?

So you don't need it and don't want it, why are you asking?
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 20:28   #3
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Only reason as to why I went above 4GB is that I had a specific need for it (high end CAD) If you don't need it now then don't bother because as you say it'll probably be outdated by the time you do need it.
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 20:39   #4
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Only reason I went above 4GB was to show off.
Old 14-03-2012, 20:44   #5
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

I just added another 8GB which only cost £39 as the price has been rather low lately and it suddenly started shooting up again the other week, so i thought i would grab some of the same type even if i didn't need it. The price has shot up to £44 so i think i did the right thing.
SnoopZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 20:53   #6
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Dunno what your idea of "shot up" is but 8GB only costs £31 right now.
Old 14-03-2012, 20:57   #7
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts

Well I dont know if I need it or not sure if any games I have come across ever needed that much?

It was a shot in the dark really from other users point of view see what the feel is out there from some that maybe use and need it and see if its worth me going out and getting another 4 gig especially with it being cheap at the moment
Gavin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 21:06   #8
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Dunno what your idea of "shot up" is but 8GB only costs £31 right now.
The corsair 1600 DDR3 is around £44 now so it is a large percentage increase which was over a 7 day period. This was due to a large ram manufacture applying for bankruptcy protection if i remember correctly, so i thought i would buy it incase it went up alot more similar to how hard disk drives have.
Old 14-03-2012, 21:09   #9
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
Send a message via AIM to MalteseFalcon

I am only on 2 GB RAM, thinking of buying some more RAM. Which would be better, replace one of the 1 GB RAM with a 2 GB RAM and then have 3 GB RAM, or replace both? Loathe to replace both really, as I only bought the other 1 GB last year so would probably be better to purchase 2 GB RAM and install that in place of the older 1 GB RAM.
MalteseFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 21:12   #10
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Replace both to have a matching pair thus doubling the data rate, you also need to check your motherboard manual for which specification you need.
Old 14-03-2012, 21:14   #11
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
The corsair 1600 DDR3 is around £44 now so it is a large percentage increase which was over a 7 day period. This was due to a large ram manufacture applying for bankruptcy protection if i remember correctly, so i thought i would buy it incase it went up alot more similar to how hard disk drives have.
Corsair 1600 DDR3 is £38 right now.

Also not sure how wise it is to base your opinions of the RAM market as a whole on one product and one price.
Old 14-03-2012, 21:14   #12
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC1984 View Post
I am only on 2 GB RAM, thinking of buying some more RAM. Which would be better, replace one of the 1 GB RAM with a 2 GB RAM and then have 3 GB RAM, or replace both? Loathe to replace both really, as I only bought the other 1 GB last year so would probably be better to purchase 2 GB RAM and install that in place of the older 1 GB RAM.
Most motherboards run ram in dual channel mode if you replace only one ram it'll default to single channel mode which is slower. To stick with Dual channel you need identical spec ram.

Be aware though that if you are using a 32bit OS then even with 4GB it'll only show 3GB
Old 14-03-2012, 21:25   #13
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

I don't think most people will notice the difference between single and dual-channel mode.
Old 14-03-2012, 21:29   #14
Kymmy
Inactive

Depends what you're doing.. gaming no but cad or any other memory intensive then yes
Old 14-03-2012, 21:40   #15
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post

Be aware though that if you are using a 32bit OS then even with 4GB it'll only show 3GB

I was just about to ask the same 32bit / x64 question!