Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Benefit cuts are fuelling abuse of disabled people, say charities

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Benefit cuts are fuelling abuse of disabled people, say charities

Old 06-02-2012, 00:23   #1
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Benefit cuts are fuelling abuse of disabled people, say charities

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...ther_multiline

Quote:
The government's focus on alleged fraud and overclaiming to justify cuts in disability benefits has caused an increase in resentment and abuse directed at disabled people, as they find themselves being labelled as scroungers, six of the country's biggest disability groups have warned.
Some of the charities say they are now regularly contacted by people who have been taunted on the street about supposedly faking their disability and are concerned the climate of suspicion could spill over into violence or other hate crimes.
Depressing reading.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:15   #2
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Re: Benefit cuts are fuelling abuse of disabled people, say charities

This was bound to happen with the propoganda the government put out.

all we can do is sit back and watch.

society are and always will be sheep. they can't and never will see through the hypnotism. they're too weak.

all we can do is sit back and watch.
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:27   #3
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

It is very possible that the quoted 'insult' was just joking around.

It was Labour who started any so called 'campaign' with the introduction of ESA.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:42   #4
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
It is very possible that the quoted 'insult' was just joking around.

It was Labour who started any so called 'campaign' with the introduction of ESA.
Did you read the article?Which insult do you think was meant to be a joke?

We have had lots of cases recently where vulnerable people with learning difficulties have been targeted by bullies and it has even resulted in one mother committing suicide after killing her daughter because of abuse by a local yobbo gang.This before all of this campaign began.I can see more vulnerable disabled people being targeted by such because the government is supporting the idea that the vast majority of disabled are not entitled to our help and compassion in their pathetic attempts to sell their austerity package.It doesn't take much for such **** to use any excuse.We will probably see people hauled out of wheelchairs to prove they are faking..or be falsely reported on the fraud line.

I already bought the idea of austerity but not at the expense of those unable to defend themselves.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:58   #5
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
Did you read the article?Which insult do you think was meant to be a joke?

We have had lots of cases recently where vulnerable people with learning difficulties have been targeted by bullies and it has even resulted in one mother committing suicide after killing her daughter because of abuse by a local yobbo gang.This before all of this campaign began.I can see more vulnerable disabled people being targeted by such because the government is supporting the idea that the vast majority of disabled are not entitled to our help and compassion in their pathetic attempts to sell their austerity package.It doesn't take much for such **** to use any excuse.We will probably see people hauled out of wheelchairs to prove they are faking..or be falsely reported on the fraud line.

I already bought the idea of austerity but not at the expense of those unable to defend themselves.
There appears to be one alleged specific 'insult' mentioned in the article. I had read the article to see exactly how many real examples were given to back up the claims. I found just the one flimsy example. How many specific examples are you saying that there are in the article?

The other abuse case you are mention has absolutely nothing to do with this story in relation to benefit cuts.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:40   #6
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

There always has been and will always be abuse of disabled people .The fact that some charities have chosen to link such abuse to government policy on benefit fraud and welfare cuts is a disgrace .In doing this the charities will segregate the disabled section of society even more .What do these charities think will happen ?do they think the government will do a 'u' turn and cancel all the reforms based on a few stories from charities and organisations we know are against the cuts ?
Old 06-02-2012, 12:11   #7
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
There always has been and will always be abuse of disabled people .The fact that some charities have chosen to link such abuse to government policy on benefit fraud and welfare cuts is a disgrace .In doing this the charities will segregate the disabled section of society even more .What do these charities think will happen ?do they think the government will do a 'u' turn and cancel all the reforms based on a few stories from charities and organisations we know are against the cuts ?
I think it's relative to what side of the fence you're on. I take it you're not sick or disabled. It's like when you have a relationship breakdown, you notice that every song on the radio is all you and the breakup so to speak. So to me when I read that article it's like 'at last' something positive (spoken up for) to the plight of the sick and disabled instead of all the vilifications of late. But I'm sure you probably won't agree with that either.

I see you do have a lot so say about benefits yet it really doesn't affect you, of course you are well entitled to your opinion but because myself being on the other side of the fence I obviously see things slightly differently, because it matters more so.

I'm sure you read what BBC says and watch their programs like saints and sinners highlighting all the scroungers that are claiming benefits that are better off than you and that you have formed your opinion based on something that doesn't affect you as a whole. I'm sure no matter what they now say in the media it will not sway you to see what it is really like to a lot of people, and it's that kind of ignorance those that are hit have to put up with and fight.

Well done the Guardian for that article.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:18   #8
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
There appears to be one alleged specific 'insult' mentioned in the article. I had read the article to see exactly how many real examples were given to back up the claims. I found just the one flimsy example. How many specific examples are you saying that there are in the article?

The other abuse case you are mention has absolutely nothing to do with this story in relation to benefit cuts.
I bet that young girl was on benefits though so it does have relevance.The disabled already face all sorts of problems without having their situation trivialised as just a jokey insult.
Old 06-02-2012, 14:02   #9
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
I think it's relative to what side of the fence you're on. I take it you're not sick or disabled. It's like when you have a relationship breakdown, you notice that every song on the radio is all you and the breakup so to speak. So to me when I read that article it's like 'at last' something positive (spoken up for) to the plight of the sick and disabled instead of all the vilifications of late. But I'm sure you probably won't agree with that either.

I see you do have a lot so say about benefits yet it really doesn't affect you, of course you are well entitled to your opinion but because myself being on the other side of the fence I obviously see things slightly differently, because it matters more so.

I'm sure you read what BBC says and watch their programs like saints and sinners highlighting all the scroungers that are claiming benefits that are better off than you and that you have formed your opinion based on something that doesn't affect you as a whole. I'm sure no matter what they now say in the media it will not sway you to see what it is really like to a lot of people, and it's that kind of ignorance those that are hit have to put up with and fight.

Well done the Guardian for that article.
Your ignorance is astounding .How you can say it doesn't affect me beggars belief .No i am not disabled or in receipt of any benefits and no i don't watch (as a rule) any of the programs you mentioned ,i don't need to ,i see it with my own 2 eyes every time i go into such a persons house to work .Maybe you should start thinking how lucky you are that you live in a country that gives you disability/sickness/unemployment payments instead of moaning that the people that support you i.e the tax payer want the money managed in a more efficient way so that we don't have to keep paying more into a system that is riddled with fraud and misuse
Old 06-02-2012, 14:46   #10
martyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
I find it staggering that with our cradle to the grave NHS that so many people are considered as disabled. I suspect the definition has been greatly broadened in order to massage the jobless figures.

There must have been a time in ages past when these people would have had to have worked and a "bad back" or some ill defined malingering would just be an inconvenience rather than a meal ticket for life.

Whilst genuinly disabled must be given help it annoys me to see a car with a disabled badge park in the disabled bay and the driver positively leaps out to go shopping. It's that sort of abuse that needs to be checked. And before I get castigated, yes I know that some symptoms come and go but if you're having a good day shouldn't you leave the disabled bay empty for someone more deserving?

Some more disability stats
Totally agree ,even fat people are classed as disabled nowadays ,and before anyone castigates me i know that some weight problems can be caused by medical issues but it should never be classed as a disability imo
Old 06-02-2012, 14:53   #11
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
.I can see more vulnerable disabled people being targeted by such because the government is supporting the idea that the vast majority of disabled are not entitled to our help and compassion in their pathetic attempts to sell their austerity package.

The government is not suggesting anything of the sort.

The government are not in control of the compassion of the population.

If you want to help a disabled person, and show them compassion I'm pretty sure you're allowed to do so without government interference
Old 06-02-2012, 15:56   #12
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart

They better remember who to vote for next time there is an election!!!

Is this what this nation has come to, the disabled people and poor and even the middle class paying the price for the wrongdoings of the rich super-rich and major companies!!!
Alan Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 16:23   #13
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Fry View Post
Is this what this nation has come to, the disabled people and poor and even the middle class paying the price for the wrongdoings of the rich super-rich and major companies!!!
So what's new? It's always been like that.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 16:26   #14
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Fisher View Post
So what's new? It's always been like that.
Well It is about time things changed!
Alan Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 16:41   #15
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

The current wave of attack on fraudulent benefit claimants has hit the most vulnerable first. Either because they do not have the ability to fight their corner or because they are single under 35 and live on their own. Top this off with the dreadful tabloid slant on "scroungers" and this is the result.

The benefit savvy know how to twist the system to suit & will continue to laugh all the way to the bank. Whilst the easy targets suffer the abuse.

Until there are clear signals that abuse of the vulnerable is wrong there is no hope. Judging by current appeal rates ATOS is one of the worst culprits.
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote