Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | R30 - Superhub R29 is no more....

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

R30 - Superhub R29 is no more....

Old 10-09-2011, 04:52   #136
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
Re: R30 - Superhub R29 is no more....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCalling View Post
It seems, from these forums, that the new build will be made by Huawei. Now, whilst Huawei makes 3G sticks that seem fine to me, my experience of Huawei routers is that they really do have appaling build quality.

I would buy a Netgear over a Huawei any day. Even if they are the same design with the same firmware, it's the build quality that would count the Huawei out for me every time.

In my experience, Netgear is fine. Granted, they do tend to have a lot of firmware bugs but Netgear is noteable for releasing update after update until they get it right. They seem to update even old routers for a long time. Of course, it depends if VM are committed to the same strategy for the Superhub because Netgear are not doing the updates alone in this case, but so far VM do seem to be updating the Superhub. VM were not so keen to update their custom Netgear WGR614 they used to provide however, so we can only hope their attitude has improved since then and this is not just a flash in the pan.

I would try to get your Superhub in now, to make sure you're not given a Huawei knock-off of the Netgear design. Huawei have a very poor record on the router front.
Huawei!? Couldn't they of done a deal with Linksys/Cisco? I recall hearing Cisco was the second manufacture of SHubs! What about D-Link, TP-Link would of been something, Buffalo would of been fitting.. oh well better than Belkin I guess!

Yup ordered a replacement SHub a few days ago because of the faulty PSU unit. was going to wait until Monday, firmware release date but was bullied into thinking the PSU would blow up It was suppose to be delivered yesterday (friday) but ended up back at the depot
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-09-2011, 18:48   #137
Blairhoyle
Inactive

Blairhoyle is an unknown quantity at this point

any release from Virgin yet as to when R30 is being rolled out?
Blairhoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 19:46   #138
AndyCalling
Inactive

Services: Fixed phone service (inclusive weekend calls) & internet service (200/12meg)
AndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
Huawei!? Couldn't they of done a deal with Linksys/Cisco? I recall hearing Cisco was the second manufacture of SHubs! What about D-Link, TP-Link would of been something, Buffalo would of been fitting.. oh well better than Belkin I guess!
I wouldn't bet on it. TalkTalk used to (still?) provide Huawei routers to their customers and my Dad got one. It was God awful. He grabbed a cheap Belkin from Tesco and it is far far better. If you don't like Belkin build quality, you'll really hate Huawei. A Belkin is a massive upgrade in quality terms from a Huawei, I can tell you.
AndyCalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 20:55   #139
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I wouldn't bet on it. TalkTalk used to (still?) provide Huawei routers to their customers and my Dad got one. It was God awful. He grabbed a cheap Belkin from Tesco and it is far far better. If you don't like Belkin build quality, you'll really hate Huawei. A Belkin is a massive upgrade in quality terms from a Huawei, I can tell you.
my neighbor has talktalk and that white stand up thing from Huawei. I haven't tested it myself but I believe you. Cost cutting pathetic build quality, now I see why they want my faulty netgear SH back.

One more thing Andy. The SuperHub has netgear on it, so does the web interface.. have they got name rights? will Huawei simply just build the hardware?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blairhoyle View Post
any release from Virgin yet as to when R30 is being rolled out?
not sure mate. was suppose to be announced today so who knows. may be another week, month, year.
Old 12-09-2011, 21:07   #140
Blairhoyle
Inactive

Blairhoyle is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post

not sure mate. was suppose to be announced today so who knows. may be another week, month, year.
really wish they would get the finger out, just had another reboot there
Blairhoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 21:48   #141
thenry
Inactive

could someone on here shed some light on a reply I got over on the community..

Quote:
thenry wrote:
Mark said: "So we're currently planning to release the R30 firmware generally next week, we'll make the final decision on Monday the 12th and announce it here."

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...pdate-22-08-11...

So does this mean the firmware will be given the go ahead and it will then take another week to push to all SuperHubs? Can VM not just release it today instead of longing the whole process out even more. Please VM, release R30 today so all SuperHubs can run R30 today.
Quote:
tecstar wrote:
Yeah, lets get them to release it no matter what. Let them just stick on some FTP server that cant cope with the demand. Let's ask them to go so far with the testing and totally bugger up the implementation. That'll make us all happy, won't it?
Quote:
thenry wrote:
that should have been sorted by now. what was going on through testing? customer were testing, VMs labs had tests up and running.. couldn't they of got the servers ready in the meantime regardless whether or not the firmware was ready.. at some point a firmware would of had to be released.
Code:
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-30Mb-and-50Mb-broadband/Finally-R30-Firmware/m-p/716617/highlight/false#M74631
Old 13-09-2011, 11:00   #142
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Super Hub R30 Firmware Release 13/09/11
[ New ]
Options

on 13-09-2011 10:56

I'm happy to announce that we'll be releasing the R30 firmware for the Virgin Media Super Hub later today. Once it's available (approximately 6pm) you'll be able to update your Super Hub by simply turning it off at the socket for 60 seconds then back on again. Remember it may take a while for your Super Hub to download the new firmware and come back online.

Our R30 firmware includes the following changes:

Adds the Modem Mode feature.
Incorporates fixes for lock-ups (where the Super Hub appears unresponsive to traffic and the admin pages are unavailable) and reloads (where the Super Hub would reload for no apparent reason) while under heavy load in 2.4 and 5 GHz wireless modes. These symptoms were caused by a memory leak in the 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless driver. As part of these fixes we've changed the number of channels available under 5GHz to 4.

Note: 5GHz performance can vary as although it handles interference from other wireless routers better than 2.4GHz it's ability to penetrate walls, doors etc is less. We also recommend you site your Super Hub away from central heating radiators, foil backed wall board and plasma screen TVs if you're using wireless, as these items have been known to cause issues leading to poor wireless performance.

If you've got any feedback on the new firmware can you please post it in this thread.

Thanks
Mark Wilkin
Help & Support Forum Team
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 11:38   #143
pulse100
Inactive

pulse100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine has just been updated from r26 to r30 thank god. Have been having reboots most days Lets hope this fixes the problems as not happy with the service of the Super Hub.
pulse100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 12:47   #144
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Excellent news

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 13:00   #145
AndyCalling
Inactive

Services: Fixed phone service (inclusive weekend calls) & internet service (200/12meg)
AndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud of

Changing # of 5Ghz channels to 4? I do hope they mean spatial streams and not channels as 5Ghz is supposed to have MORE channels than 2.4Ghz, not less! This is supposed to be an improvement, not a crippling of 5Ghz mode.

Assuming they mean spatial streams, this is great news. Previously we had 2 spatial streams limiting us to 300meg. 4 streams should lift this up to 600meg. Really providing the best wireless connection possible as originally advertised. Can anyone confirm this is true?

Also, does the Netgear wireless adapter dongle supplied with the Superhub actually support 4 spatial streams and therefore 600meg functionality?
AndyCalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 13:00   #146
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

At last......hope it works.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 13:38   #147
pulse100
Inactive

pulse100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just had a reboot on the new r30 now only 1 channel not bonded. Really did think this would sort the problems out just checked back up oh well, will keep an eye on it just to let it settle whether that will help.
pulse100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 13:44   #148
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Changing # of 5Ghz channels to 4? I do hope they mean spatial streams and not channels as 5Ghz is supposed to have MORE channels than 2.4Ghz, not less! This is supposed to be an improvement, not a crippling of 5Ghz mode.

Assuming they mean spatial streams, this is great news. Previously we had 2 spatial streams limiting us to 300meg. 4 streams should lift this up to 600meg. Really providing the best wireless connection possible as originally advertised. Can anyone confirm this is true?

Also, does the Netgear wireless adapter dongle supplied with the Superhub actually support 4 spatial streams and therefore 600meg functionality?
No. There's no consumer devices on the market that support 600mbps. 450mbps is becoming more common but is hard enough to get right.

There's no possible way for the Superhub to support 600mbps via a firmware update - the wireless card in it only has 2 outputs. VM could potentially release a new version of the SH with faster wireless but I doubt they will.

4 channels is actually fairly realistic on 5Ghz - there's only really a few channels on 5Ghz you can use without DFS and considering how bad VM got everything else wireless on the SH wrong I wouldn't be surprised if they had to switch off the extra channels for legal reasons.

Or maybe they're trying to cut down on the number of standards they're violating in order to maybe one day achieve wifi certification for the thing... Like that'll ever happen

In any case 2.4Ghz only has 3 truly non-overlapping channels (4 at a stretch).

Oh, and lets not forget, almost everything Mark Wilkin said about 5Ghz in the Superhub FAQ is wrong.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 14:33   #149
thenry
Inactive

the 4 channels on 5GHz are 36, 40, 44 & 48.

I just swapped SuperHubs and R30 updated thank you VM.
Old 13-09-2011, 14:43   #150
mrselfdestruct
Inactive

Services: 100Mb
mrselfdestruct is an unknown quantity at this point

I take it the R30 firmware there pushing out today is identical to the one they pushed out to beta testers?

Also, anyone having any issues on R30 with port forwarding/uPnP?

Modern Warfare 2 keeps saying my NAT is strict, which previously worked fine, on R26/R27Test Firmware - don't tell me they've broken something else!
mrselfdestruct is offline   Reply With Quote