Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Please document any V6 issues here.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Please document any V6 issues here.

Old 23-02-2017, 00:29   #196
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Please document any V6 issues here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Perhaps the V6 AI trying to tell you something....
Lol, I actually record it for the woman that does my ironing as she wanted something to watch (she does bar work at night when it's on).

She never got chance to keep up, so asked if she could watch CS whilst ironing.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-02-2017, 08:16   #197
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

I have had my two V6s for three weeks now and yesterday evening I encountered my first glitch when Netflix froze soon after launching. A re-boot fixed it. Could this be the end of civilization as we know it?
heavyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 08:28   #198
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

No as there will always be bugs and glitches with new boxes as the wise sages of this forum did state.
Old 23-02-2017, 12:56   #199
anap
Inactive

Services: VIP with extra box (2 V6's & a TiVo)
anap will become famous soon enoughanap will become famous soon enoughanap will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAST View Post
Strange issue with one of our V6's last night

Whilst recording and watching Elementary on sky 1 HD last night (most recent episode) the V6 suddenly restarted!!

So we switched to Sky plus 1 and started watching (did not record) it again one hour later.

At exactly the same point the V6 re-started again!!

V6 appears to be behaving itself on all other recordings/programs

Any ideas or suggestions to explain this behaviour

Tel

The same thing happened to me last night (Twice!). I forwarded a bit past the point where it restarted and the rest of the episode was fine. Odd!
anap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 18:53   #200
fixerman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 200mb Superhub 2, Two Tivo V6 1tb, one "Old" Tivo 1tb, home phone, Humax Freesat PVR.
fixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud of

I had two V6 boxes installed on Monday last. I intend to give my opinion on the boxes in general as soon as I have had some experience of their performance.

There is one major issue that I am experiencing straight off and it is the attached image shows what a Youtube screen looks like when I am playing any content. This black box is superimposed on the screen and appears to show a live readout of statistics of the current screen. I have not found a way to make it go away. As a result Youtube is unwatchable. It's only visible on the Youtube app. Whats more remarkable is that it only appears on one of the boxes. The second box works fine.

Any ideas?

IMG_20170226_172533.jpg
fixerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 20:36   #201
OLDGOLD
cf.addict

OLDGOLD will become famous soon enoughOLDGOLD will become famous soon enoughOLDGOLD will become famous soon enough

I recorded the Watford game on BT Sport last night. When I came to watch it, it was split into two. The first recording was a partial recording of 20 minutes from the 17:00 start time. The second was a further partial recording for the rest of the scheduled transmission from about 17:25ish (the start of the 2nd recording was only about 5 minutes before kick off).

Any idea what happened? Is this down to something in the broadcast 'tricking' the box into thinking it was two separate broadcasts or is it a fault?
OLDGOLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 20:45   #202
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDGOLD View Post
I recorded the Watford game on BT Sport last night. When I came to watch it, it was split into two. The first recording was a partial recording of 20 minutes from the 17:00 start time. The second was a further partial recording for the rest of the scheduled transmission from about 17:25ish (the start of the 2nd recording was only about 5 minutes before kick off).

Any idea what happened? Is this down to something in the broadcast 'tricking' the box into thinking it was two separate broadcasts or is it a fault?
Sounds like a random reboot during the recording to me. No doubt the EPG shows it as 1 show and the only reason for 2 separate recordings like that is a reboot.

I've not timed a reboot on my V6 but 5 minutes sounds feasible
Joedm45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 20:50   #203
fixerman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 200mb Superhub 2, Two Tivo V6 1tb, one "Old" Tivo 1tb, home phone, Humax Freesat PVR.
fixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud of

I have experienced split recordings for no apparent reason. It happened when I recorded Casablanca today.
fixerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 00:26   #204
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Well this isn't very encouraging is it!
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 08:36   #205
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
These are very much exceptions, Max. Mine both work perfectly and are far superior to the old Tivos.

The guys who have reported these problems on this forum just need to report what has happened to CS. I am sure they can sort this out.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 08:57   #206
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
l hope they get their problems sorted out but one must not wildly exaggerate any problems MM.
Old 27-02-2017, 10:25   #207
mike_gain
Inactive

mike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
These are very much exceptions, Max. Mine both work perfectly and are far superior to the old Tivos.

The guys who have reported these problems on this forum just need to report what has happened to CS. I am sure they can sort this out.
Lets not get ahead of ourselves here.

They are quicker and much more responsive (i.e. they've chucked hardware at a software problem) but the V6 is demonstrably louder than any of my legacy V6s and anecdotal as it may be I've been forced to restart my V6 at least twice a month since January due to it starting up in a black screen......I've only every been forced to restart start my original 2011 box (which i still have) twice. Also some of the issues identified during the software testing are still present which is a shame.

However when they are up an running the do perform very well but at the moment I've won't be getting another V6 as the extra "functionality" is not worth the additional outlay. There's no restriction that prevents my existing box from performing it's "press play and actually play something withing a couple of seconds" function as it did in 2011 just shoddy software. It's just a pain I've had to fork out extra to get a box that has the hardware to compensate for the software.
mike_gain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 13:58   #208
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_gain View Post
Lets not get ahead of ourselves here.

They are quicker and much more responsive (i.e. they've chucked hardware at a software problem) but the V6 is demonstrably louder than any of my legacy V6s and anecdotal as it may be I've been forced to restart my V6 at least twice a month since January due to it starting up in a black screen......I've only every been forced to restart start my original 2011 box (which i still have) twice. Also some of the issues identified during the software testing are still present which is a shame.

However when they are up an running the do perform very well but at the moment I've won't be getting another V6 as the extra "functionality" is not worth the additional outlay. There's no restriction that prevents my existing box from performing it's "press play and actually play something withing a couple of seconds" function as it did in 2011 just shoddy software. It's just a pain I've had to fork out extra to get a box that has the hardware to compensate for the software.
I can only say that you must have been lucky with your old Tivo. I found I had to re-boot mine every week, and more on some occasions. Once my new V6s were set up and running as they should, I have not had to re-boot either of them even once.

As with any new technology, some people will experience problems, but I think the lack of complaints on here ( and we do like to complain, don't we?) indicates that by and large, this has been a pretty successful launch. I am certainly well pleased.

As far as your black screen problem is concerned, I understand that this is a known fault which will be overcome with an update. In the meantime, adjust your power savings so that it doesn't automatically switch off after use.

I am surprised you find the V6 noisy. I don't hear a peep out of mine. Could you deaden the sound by putting your V6 on a different surface (eg foam) which will stop any vibration?
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 14:25   #209
mike_gain
Inactive

mike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I can only say that you must have been lucky with your old Tivo. I found I had to re-boot mine every week, and more on some occasions. Once my new V6s were set up and running as they should, I have not had to re-boot either of them even once.

As with any new technology, some people will experience problems, but I think the lack of complaints on here ( and we do like to complain, don't we?) indicates that by and large, this has been a pretty successful launch. I am certainly well pleased.

As far as your black screen problem is concerned, I understand that this is a known fault which will be overcome with an update. In the meantime, adjust your power savings so that it doesn't automatically switch off after use.

I am surprised you find the V6 noisy. I don't hear a peep out of mine. Could you deaden the sound by putting your V6 on a different surface (eg foam) which will stop any vibration?
Perhaps you've been lucky with your V6s.... you can't refute one anecdotal piece of evidence with another but I had 4 legacy boxes with only one that needed restarted (i.e. crashed) the other 3 just ran non-top.

The new boxes seems to be repeating similar early issues as the legacy box did (wonder when they digital out will start playing up) but aside from any issues can we really say a fully operational V6 is far superior to a fully working legacy box?

Apart from the performance issues which should't be there in the first place and perhaps its smaller form factor the V6 is pretty much the same box. The V6 is a better experience yes but simply because I'm not questioning myself as to whether I've actually pressed a button on the remote, I'd not go overboard with the hyperbole because of this, mainly because the V6 level of performance should be the baseline for the legacy box.

With regard to the black screen issue i'm pretty sure what I experience is similar to that of a know issue and I have adjusted the power saving settings and have introduced a delay in switching on the V6 to make sure all the required devices in the signal flow are on before the V6 is turned on to discount any HDMI handshake issues but still get it every so often and every so often it gets stuck in "Waking Up" if it has been turned off. I'll learn to live with it as the start up following a poweroff and on isn't too long

With regard to the noise it's not an amplification of a vibration by the unit it is on. It's the actually disk spinning that;s producing the nouse short of opening up the box and adding some noise suppression I'm kind of stuck with it. Be a pretty good tool for producing a form of pink noise for setting up an EQ though.
mike_gain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 15:02   #210
Perfect Choice
cf.geek

Services: Maxit TV, M phone, 200MB BB, V6 TIVO, Super Hub3
Perfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to behold

I also hear noise from my V6 box as well which is the disk spinning. It is louder than my old Tivo box so was surprised to have this. The noise is just at a volume that if you get a quiet part in a programme you can hear it which makes it distracting once you catch the noise. If you put the TV on silent you can definitely hear it anyway. Would not want to have my V6 in a room I slept in for example. This is one negative of the new V6 box I have, apart from this have been very happy with the box and had no problems at all. I've had no crash issues and also power down overnight without any issues, so guess I am lucky on that problem I know some people have had.
Perfect Choice is offline   Reply With Quote