Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Weird electrical problem - epilator

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Weird electrical problem - epilator

Old 30-12-2016, 14:49   #16
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Re: Weird electrical problem - epilator

You should have mentioned it ran off an adapter

http://electronics.stackexchange.com...dc-barrel-jack
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-12-2016, 14:56   #17
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
You should have mentioned it ran off an adapter

http://electronics.stackexchange.com...dc-barrel-jack
I thought they all did to be honest.

TVM for the link.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 15:45   #18
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Well it worked mate.

Plugged in the adaptor and tried the epilator after 10 mins and it worked so it seems that the problem lies there. For now she'll be able to use it now simply by just plugging it in a few minutes before she needs it. In the longer term I'll have a look around for similar adaptors and see if I can find something suitable lying around or buy one.

The details are:

Pri: 100-240v ac, 50-60hz, 7.5w.
Sec: 13v, 400ma.

I can't see anything on the adaptor regarding the polarity of the tip so do I assume it doesn't matter?

Replacement Philips epilators of this quality aren't cheap so even buying a new adaptor might be justified.
Bold shows that this is an electronic unit. Normally the inner or pin is positive. I guess if the epilator is just a motor it would run backwards with the wrong polarity. Then the discs might not grab the hairs?

If it has an internal battery to run cord free then the polarity is important. Get Googling, possibly images, the model number. Aught to bring up the info you need.

A 12v supply with more than 400ma rating would probably work OK.
Old 30-12-2016, 15:45   #19
raging bull
cf.geek

Services: Tivo V6 - L TV/XL Phone /200Mb BB
raging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quads

Something like this any good?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-War.../dp/B0085SKNTC
raging bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 17:51   #20
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Bold shows that this is an electronic unit. Normally the inner or pin is positive. I guess if the epilator is just a motor it would run backwards with the wrong polarity. Then the discs might not grab the hairs?

If it has an internal battery to run cord free then the polarity is important. Get Googling, possibly images, the model number. Aught to bring up the info you need.

A 12v supply with more than 400ma rating would probably work OK.
Cheers for the info. There's no internal battery, it's purely corded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raging bull View Post
Could well do by the look of it.
Old 30-12-2016, 19:14   #21
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

try turn off/on rapidly, the contacts might have gunk on it.
Old 30-12-2016, 20:55   #22
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
try turn off/on rapidly, the contacts might have gunk on it.
He's already tried that.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 21:35   #23
rogerdraig
cf.mega poster

rogerdraig has reached the bronze age
rogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to rogerdraig

Epilator ingenious torture device for those whom find waxing to soothing
rogerdraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 11:09   #24
Osem
Inactive

Just an update on this. The wife's been using the unit but having to wait for it to 'warm up' for 5-10 mins before it'd fire up so it'd gone to the back of my mind. However today I found an old adaptor which belonged to a large DAB radio which broke a few years ago. I'd kept it because I thought it might come in handy and so it did.

It's actually rated at 9v 1000ma but it seems to do the trick perfectly and is a lot heavier/more robust than the original. Switching between the 2 adaptors, I can't hear or see any difference in how the epilator operates either in speed or direction of head rotation. A brief test on my forearm left me in no doubt that it's working very well indeed...

I'm sure most people would have just chucked the epilator and adaptor away a bought a new one (c. £70) but I hate throwing potentially useful stuff away and this is why.

Cheers for the advice guys.

Last edited by Osem; 23-03-2017 at 11:23.
Old 23-03-2017, 15:09   #25
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Heavier probably because it has an old fashoned iron cored transformer and linear regulator. These do tend to be more reliable than the later Chinese made switcing supplies.

Always worth hanging onto a power supply or two even if the appliance has gone to electrical hell.

Good fix.