Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Using a router with Panasonic TV to access internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Is my supplied router (WNR2000) rubbish? Best alternatives?

Old 28-04-2010, 20:40   #1
FNi
Inactive

FNi is an unknown quantity at this point
Is my supplied router (WNR2000) rubbish? Best alternatives?

Is it my imagination or is the WNR2000 a terrible router?

I've been using it for several months and I'm constantly having issues with it. The biggest of all is the wireless range/quality. Virtually everywhere in my house I get 1 or 2 bars (if I'm lucky). This wouldn't be too bad if I didn't have to see my neighbours routers on my wireless list each at 3 or 4 bars.

Can anyone recommend a compatible routers that has the following features:
+ Great WirelessN range
+ Good browser interface
+ 4 gigabit ports
+ Reliable
+ Virgin Media 50mb compatible

Would really appreciate any help.

Thanks!

FNi.
FNi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-04-2010, 21:02   #2
zing_deleted

Re: Is my supplied router (WNR2000) rubbish? Best alternatives?

call tech tell em you router keeps disconnecting and you have to keep rebooting it but the modem stays steady. They should send you a Dlink router instead which you can flash with custom firmware ( tutorial available on this forum somewhere) gotta be worth a go before paying out your pennies
Old 29-04-2010, 10:13   #3
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts

Just wondering what are these plug in internet plugs like? I've seen them in Argos for £99 and you can transfer the internet through plugs upto 1000 mbps?

Would they help?
Gavin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2010, 10:18   #4
Doono
Inactive

Doono is an unknown quantity at this point

linksys wrt610n loaded with dd-wrt is supposed to be an excellent solution, thats what ill be replacing my current router, a d-link dir615 with. The virgin supplied dir 615 is absolutely pants if it is expected to deal with a large number of connections at once and sadly since i live in a house with alot of students the router is next to useless.
Doono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 08:32   #5
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Ive found the netgear WNR2000 isnt necessarily a rubbish router but it doesn't seem to handle fluctuations in bandwidth too well, I get frequent lag spikes which I believe is down to a over utilised upstream port and for the last few days have been trying the afore mentioned router again, with evident lag spikes

Ive just switched back to my Linksys wrt610n and gaming is definitely smoother, however Ive had some minor issues also with the Linksys, because having 2 games consoles, PS3 and an Xbox, I cant seem to sustain an open NAT on both units unless I chuck each consoles mac address in the DMZ, and for some reason the PS3 has stopped being seen in the attached devices part of the router.

I don't doubt the Linksys is a pretty decent piece of kit, but I would be interested in changing the firmware if anyone has any tips.

So back to the OP, in short I would say the WNR2000 can suffer from poor wireless performance but before you use it to prop doors open try changing the wireless channel and see how it goes.
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote