Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | PS3 Audio the revenge

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Sony Games Systems

PS3 audio setup HELP

Old 22-01-2009, 23:29   #1
ninjatim01
Inactive

ninjatim01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy PS3 audio setup HELP

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm looking to buy a Sony STRDG520 5.1 receiver, whats the best audio connection to use. my phillips tv doesn't have an audio out that i can see, i was thinking of using an optical cable from my ps3 to the receiver and a hdmi from my ps3 to tv. Is this a good setup or should i go for hdmi cable from ps3 to receiver instead.

Any help would be great guys, many thanks
ninjatim01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-01-2009, 23:34   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: PS3 audio setup HELP

If the reciever accepts HDMI in, then use that.
Old 22-01-2009, 23:42   #3
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

I'd just use HDMI from PS3 to TV, and optical from PS3 to amp.

You could route the PS3's video *and* audio via HDMI through the amp if you wanted, but I don't think there's any real benefit though.

---------- Post added at 22:42 ---------- Previous post was at 22:36 ----------

Actually, thinking about it, I'd go with BenMcr's suggestion.

I was initially thinking there's no point of routing through the amp via HDMI as it isn't a 7.1 HD amp, so you may as well just use optical for the audio.

But, due to an annoyance with the PS3, there is a benefit still though:

The PS3 can only output audio via one output at a time: e.g. optical *or* HDMI.

This means if you have the PS3 hooked up to the amp via optical & the TV via HDMI, you need to go into the PS3's audio output settings everytime you want to switch from HDMI audio (TV speakers) to optical audio (amp) & vice versa.

Routing it all via the amp using HDMI would avoid this:

The PS3 would just be left to output audio via HDMI, then if you wanted to use the amp you turn that up & the TV down, and if you wanted the sound from the TV you'd turn that up & the amp down.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2009, 21:29   #4
ninjatim01
Inactive

Thanks guys, i just didn't know what option to use for my ps3 to get the best quality and effect. I've been juggling optical cables and hdmi cables, i will buy a new hdmi cable for my ps3 and then connect it to the amp. How do i get the tv sound through the amp too so i can switch the amp between tv/ps3.

Cheers for the feedback im new to all things audio so this is a real help
Old 23-01-2009, 22:12   #5
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

If the TV has no audio output of any kind, then you won't be able to take its sound to the amp.

Do you watch TV via an STB of any kind? If so, you could at least hook that up to the amp.

btw, when you go & buy your new HDMI cable, don't be sucked into spending loads on some fancy super-duper cable. Not needed.
Old 23-01-2009, 23:23   #6
ninjatim01
Inactive

the tv has no audio out, but i take it if the ps3 is connected to the amp via hdmi cable and then the amp is connected to the tv through hdmi, that'll work fine??

with regards to the cable, how bout this:

http://www.digibuys.co.uk/Premium-Qu...DVD-p-148.html
Old 23-01-2009, 23:46   #7
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Yeah, PS3 >HDMI> amp >HDMI> TV is absolutely fine - the PS3's video & audio will go to the TV via the amp. You should be able to get the PS3's audio out of the amp's speakers and the TV's speakers.

When you asked about the TV sound, I thought you were asking about taking the actual audio from the TV (e.g. Freeview) to the amp.

The cable should be fine. It says it has a 5GB/sec transfer rate, so I assume is a category 1 HDMI cable (pre-V1.3 / category 2), however that shouldn't matter, as the PS3 doesn't really need the higher bandwidth available via HDMI 1.3 (unless AFAIK you have a "Deep Colour" TV), plus apparently most category 1 cables can handle category 2 anyway, so long as they are not too long (they're just not certified for it).
Old 24-01-2009, 00:09   #8
ninjatim01
Inactive

cheers for that dude, i cant wait to get it setup, thanks again
Old 24-01-2009, 02:23   #9
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

No prob. Enjoy
Old 07-02-2009, 16:16   #10
ninjatim01
Inactive

Just had some feed back regarding the Sony STR-DG 520, Apparently when running the ps3 via HDMI through the Receiver and then to the tv, video isn't processed and you only get audio. Is this true? if so, i don't mind getting an optical cable instead but i thought why pay out for another cable when i don't need to.......
Old 07-02-2009, 16:35   #11
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

That can't be right. That goes against everything HDMI was designed for.
Old 07-02-2009, 16:47   #12
ninjatim01
Inactive

Thats what i thought, but i read a review and it said it has something to do with pass-through??????
Old 07-02-2009, 17:10   #13
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

It might strip the audio out and only pass the video (which would make more sense )
Old 07-02-2009, 17:12   #14
ninjatim01
Inactive

I may just get an optical cable in that case, i'm sure its not going to be that much of a difference......Hopefully
Old 07-02-2009, 17:17   #15
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Still won't help. you can only chose one or the other on the PS3