Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | How did Cable TV Start in the UK?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Samsung STB/On Demand

Old 11-03-2007, 18:57   #1
smiley20
Inactive

smiley20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Samsung STB/On Demand

Folks,

Maybe someone can point me in the right direction. Had my Samsung STB (silver one NTL) move to another cable point in the house when I go my V+ drive.

For some reason, On Demand has stopped working since then and it works ok on my V+ drive. I'm in the Glasgow area, is my box requiring an updated EPG and would it be worthwhile forcing the update as I switch the box off at night.?

Thanks for the help in advance
smiley20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-03-2007, 19:17   #2
Nikesh
Inactive

Nikesh has reached the bronze age
Nikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze age
Re: Samsung STB/On Demand

Have you told CS about the problem?
Nikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 19:20   #3
smiley20
Inactive

Only noticed it at this weekend cause i was playing around with my V+drive lol so nope, thought I would see for an simple fix first.
Old 11-03-2007, 19:37   #4
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age

Tried re-booting the STB?
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 19:44   #5
smiley20
Inactive

yep it get switched off each night
Old 11-03-2007, 19:46   #6
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiley20 View Post
yep it get switched off each night
You don't leave it switched off at the mains socket every night, do you?
otherwise you won't get the software updates. I think the recommendation is to leave the STB switched on, or at the very most, in standby.
Old 11-03-2007, 19:46   #7
Nikesh
Inactive

Nikesh has reached the bronze age
Nikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze age

Do you switch it off by the mains though?

Andy beat me to it... Try switching the STB off at the mains for 40 seconds and then switching it back on.

Virgin Media's recommendation is that you put the STB in standby when you're not using it.
Nikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 19:56   #8
smiley20
Inactive

cool ok will try that tonight and yeah its off at the mains, hate leaving electrical items on for some reason lol

Will leave it on stand by tonight see if does the trick, is a new update available for glasgow?
Old 11-03-2007, 19:58   #9
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikesh View Post
Do you switch it off by the mains though?

Andy beat me to it... Try switching the STB off at the mains for 40 seconds and then switching it back on.

Virgin Media's recommendation is that you put the STB in standby when you're not using it.
Or in the case of my new V+ box, I came in this morning to find the message "V+ box resting - press ok", which then changed to "Waking up"..
Old 13-03-2007, 19:34   #10
smiley20
Inactive

Just to let folk know, got my epg upgrade today and everything works a treat. On demand works fab and everything is new/shiney.

Happy bunny. Virgin Media is the dogs dangely bits
Old 13-03-2007, 19:40   #11
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCambs View Post
You don't leave it switched off at the mains socket every night, do you?
otherwise you won't get the software updates. I think the recommendation is to leave the STB switched on, or at the very most, in standby.

It picks up the update the next time it is powered up.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2007, 19:42   #12
colin-bennett
cf.addict

colin-bennett has a spectacular aura about themcolin-bennett has a spectacular aura about themcolin-bennett has a spectacular aura about themcolin-bennett has a spectacular aura about them

As already said above . The STB needs to left on stanby if not in use.
Intermitant problems can occure if turned off from the mains.
colin-bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2007, 19:43   #13
smiley20
Inactive

yep and thats what i did left it on for a few days and the upgrade came through automatically resolving all my problems.

not sure if I got that across in my last post.
Old 13-03-2007, 20:06   #14
paul_hadley
Inactive

Services: Sky TV, Virgin ADSL2+ and Virgin phone
paul_hadley is a jewel in the roughpaul_hadley is a jewel in the roughpaul_hadley is a jewel in the roughpaul_hadley is a jewel in the roughpaul_hadley is a jewel in the rough

We always switch our box off every night (for the past couple of years) and have never had any problems caused by it.

With all this talk of "being green", standby doesn't sound very environmentally friendly.
paul_hadley is offline   Reply With Quote