Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Free "upgrade" 20mb to 60mb, wish I hadn't...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Free "upgrade" 20mb to 60mb, wish I hadn't...

Old 07-05-2012, 20:39   #1
garmcqui
Inactive

garmcqui is an unknown quantity at this point
Free "upgrade" 20mb to 60mb, wish I hadn't...

Ok, on Friday I changed from my trusty Ambit 256 modem (rock stable 20mb connection 24/7) to the Superhub, and so I could get my free upgrade to 60mb.

My connection has gone from brilliant (albeit 20mb) to terrible, unusable, unsteady, laggy, whatever else you want to call it. I call it completely unacceptable.

Here's my thinkbroadband graph from last thursday (Ambit modem):

And from Friday, before I upgraded to superhub:

And here's Friday after I upgraded to superhub:

Saturday:

And finally, today's:

As you can see, the switch to the superhub wrecked my connection. The internet is unusable, Youtube won't play without constant buffering, neither will iPlayer or anything else for that matter.

I'm using the Superhub in modem only mode, as is recommended. Here are my settings:

Startup Procedure
Procedure Status Comment
Acquire Downstream Channel 298750000 Hz Locked
Connectivity State OK Operational
Boot State OK Operational
Configuration File OK
Security Enabled BPI+

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Downstream Channels
Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Max Raw Bit Rate Frequency Power SNR Docsis/EuroDocsis locked
Locked QAM256 74 55616000 Kbits/sec 298750000 Hz 1.0 dBmV 42.2 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 73 55616000 Kbits/sec 290750000 Hz 1.2 dBmV 42.3 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 77 55616000 Kbits/sec 306750000 Hz 0.8 dBmV 41.9 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 78 55616000 Kbits/sec 314750000 Hz -0.1 dBmV 41.4 dB Hybrid
Unlocked Unknown 0 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB Unknown

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Upstream Channels
Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Max Raw Bit Rate Frequency Power
Locked ATDMA 3 20480 Kbits/sec 27400000 Hz 43.0 dBmV
Unlocked Unknown 0 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV

Primary Downstream Service Flow
Downstream(0)
SFID 6580
Max Traffic Rate 66000000 bps
Max Traffic Burst 3044 bytes
Mix Traffic Rate 0 bps

Primary Upstream Service Flow
Upstream(0)
SFID 6579
Max Traffic Rate 3072000 bps
Max Traffic Burst 8160 bytes
Mix Traffic Rate 0 bps
Max Concatenated Burst 8160 bytes
Scheduling Type Best Effort

I'm about 20 feet from the street cabinet, if that means anything. I'm using a -15dB forward path attenuator.

Any ideas about what I can do to get them to sort it out?

Thanks,

Gareth
garmcqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-05-2012, 21:36   #2
Gadgie
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media Phone, 10Meg Internet & TV & phone package.
Gadgie is just really niceGadgie is just really niceGadgie is just really niceGadgie is just really niceGadgie is just really niceGadgie is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Gadgie
Re: Free "upgrade" 20mb to 60mb, wish I hadn't...

I don't know how to post up graphs like that, but in keeping with the title ..........."I wish I hadn't"....... I am in complete agreement?

We upgraded from our 10Mbs to the 60Mbs, and all is not well

The speed is not the problem, its this new "super-hub" the Router side of it is so poor, we cant even use the lap top or I-Pad in another room, for most of the time.

Its only after 22.00 that the signal is strong enough to use in another room
Gadgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 21:45   #3
garmcqui
Inactive

garmcqui is an unknown quantity at this point

I think most people agree that the Superhub is left in modem only mode.

To have your IP address monitored, Google "thinkbroadband monitor".

I've posted the same over at the VM Help Community, here's the link: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...t/td-p/1193573
garmcqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 22:00   #4
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Thats not entirely the fault of the superhub. Wifi issues and constant rebooting yes.

But if you are going from 20meg to anything higher then you move from the old legacy network to the DOCSIS 3 network. So essentially they are moving you from a nice empty network to a highly congested one. Yay.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 23:35   #5
raging bull
cf.geek

Services: Tivo V6 - L TV/XL Phone /200Mb BB
raging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quads

Sorry to hear your probs on 60mb.
Daughter had visit from virgin tech today, advised her to hold off going 20 to 60 as new ver of shub to be introduced to improve on original spec.
(No date given for new ver, most likely statement to be made soon)
raging bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 14:55   #6
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

I got moved from 50Mb to 100Mb just a few days ago, i then got an e-mail to say that i'd been upgraded, and in the e-mail there is a button to click to get the superhub, i'm defo not touching it till it works correctly, with my old set up i'm getting between 94Mb and 98Mb download speeds, that'll do for me, i'm not risking fitting a new superhub for it to bugger it all up!
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 15:08   #7
smallclone
cf.geek

Services: M tv Broadband 150Mb/s. Superhub 3 V6
smallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of light

Same has happenned to me. Although my wi-fi issues aren't as bad.

I had a 99% connectivity with 10MB. With 60MB It's around 40% to 70%.

That is with both wired and wireless! I assume it's due to over subscription.
smallclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 15:33   #8
jempalmer

Services: 500gb Tivo & V+. TV XL, 60MB BB, M Phone.

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
Old 09-05-2012, 00:28   #9
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
had a 99% connectivity with 10MB. With 60MB It's around 40% to 70%.
-Thats bad....
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 19:46   #10
Slyder

Services: Superhub 2 60mb

This is disgusting. I've had my fare share of Pooperhubs and gone straight to the top as a result of there inferior design, performance and reliability. All of which spanned from there release to Christmas just gone. I'm shocked (although not that much) that VM note there hardware is at fault and suggest modem only mode? How about a product recall (which is long overdue) and address the root of the problem

I do feel for you and others who are not pre-warned about there poor performance. A quick call to the CEO's office is order I would say.
Old 09-05-2012, 20:18   #11
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

TiVo is moving from docsis3 to docsis 1 so hopefully that can sort issues like this out
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 20:50   #12
boroboi
cf.geek

Services: TT Fibre Large 78mbit
boroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
TiVo is moving from docsis3 to docsis 1 so hopefully that can sort issues like this out
When is this happening?
boroboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 20:56   #13
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Happened in my area last week, can't say if it's everywhere but makes sense to do that
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:51   #14
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

the OP is hard proof that lower latency lower speed = more snappy responsive connection than high latency, congested high speed.

whilst the superhub adds jitter it doesnt add that amount, thats docsis3 congestion whilst the old docsis1 was clearly lower utilised.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:44   #15
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
I thought TV and BB were totally separate anyway. Are you saying that some of the TV stuff gets delivered over the same channels that get used for BB?
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote