Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 01234567898 - Can I Block It?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

01234567898 - Can I Block It?

Old 10-04-2011, 02:20   #1
papasmurf
Inactive

papasmurf is on a distinguished roadpapasmurf is on a distinguished road
Question 01234567898 - Can I Block It?

I've been getting about three calls, a day over the last couple of weeks, from the above number.

I know it's a scam number, e.g. offering you poll-tax rebates etc. Plenty of info on the net.

It's never been answered, as we have caller ID, and no message is ever left.

Is there any way to block this number? i.e stop the 'phone ringing / causing a missed call?

Could I call Virgin to request this?

Any advice appreciated.

(BTW, already registered with TPS, in fact have been for years.)
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2011, 02:56   #2
Welshchris
Permanently Banned

Services: 50mb Cable, L TV and Phone XL.
Welshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful one
Re: 01234567898 - Can I Block It?

just tell them that your handing it to the Police i bet they will soon stop.
Welshchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:59   #3
papasmurf
Inactive

Absolutely correct, but the thing is, I don't intend to answer any of theese calls.

Research on 'tinternet has brought up the fact that usually, the first couple of times you answer are dead lines anyway.

I'm guessing that whoever is doing this is wanting a couple of 'positive hits' before they commit a call-center 'hen' to actually talk to someone. A bit like replying to spam e-mails. They know they've got a real address, (yep I know 'phone numbers are all real).

Thing is, I really can't be bothered with this ****. Maybe I'll give it a couple of more weeks, and see if they give up. (I hope).
Old 10-04-2011, 10:47   #4
_wtf_
Inactive

Services: BT Phone & Infinty, FreesatHD, Freeview, LOVEFiLM, NetFlix, Virgin Mobile
_wtf_ will become famous soon enough_wtf_ will become famous soon enough_wtf_ will become famous soon enough

http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/

Ordered a new BT line this week and BT automatically add your number to this.
_wtf_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:18   #5
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by _wtf_ View Post

Or just stick with your VM line and add yourself to that
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 13:05   #6
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:

And what difference does that make as per the first post as he still gets the calls.

Plus anyone can add phone numbers to the TPS even mobile ones.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 13:05   #7
_wtf_
Inactive

Services: BT Phone & Infinty, FreesatHD, Freeview, LOVEFiLM, NetFlix, Virgin Mobile
_wtf_ will become famous soon enough_wtf_ will become famous soon enough_wtf_ will become famous soon enough

FFS, My point was BT automatically add your phone number Virgin don't.

The OP may not be registered so is why he's getting the calls.

To the OP if you are registered take the call get as much information as you can and then report them to TPS
Old 10-04-2011, 13:11   #8
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

If someone is hiding behind a fake caller ID do you really think that they care about the TPS registry????

Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 13:18   #9
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
FFS, My point was BT automatically add your phone number Virgin don't.

The OP may not be registered so is why he's getting the calls.

To the OP if you are registered take the call get as much information as you can and then report them to TPS
You can also report any potential scams here http://www.actionfraud.org.uk/

I was also pointing out above that you can register your mobile phones.

You can also purchase this device http://www.truecall.co.uk/acatalog/trueCallShop.html
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 13:36   #10
_wtf_
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
If someone is hiding behind a fake caller ID do you really think that they care about the TPS registry????

Just looked at the number
Old 10-04-2011, 17:22   #11
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

This is no doubt a spoofed number. A quick look at Who calls me brings up a thread going back to December last year.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:14   #12
papasmurf
Inactive

That is one of the sites I checked to get my info nodrogd. Yep, it seems to have been a pain for a lot of people for quite a while.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:05   #13
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

It's gotta be fake as it can't be a Bedford number as it's missing on digit
Old 11-04-2011, 13:44   #14
roger skillin
Inactive

Services: V+ XL,Broadband XXL, Phone with talk unlimited and extra TIVO box
roger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
It's gotta be fake as it can't be a Bedford number as it's missing on digit

It's not missing a digit 01234 is the code 567898 is the number which is 6 digits the same as all standard numbers
roger skillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 14:27   #15
Kymmy
Inactive

I missed the last 8