Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Superhub as modem and old 10meg Netgear router as 'router'

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Superhub as modem and old 10meg Netgear router as 'router'

Old 16-04-2012, 00:20   #1
Danny C 2k
Inactive

Danny C 2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Superhub as modem and old 10meg Netgear router as 'router'

Hey guys, I was having an outage earlier today. I received the Network Access: denied status on the superhub page. I decided to chance my arm and put it on modem mode with my old Netgear. It worked!

On to the topic: Will I still get my 50mb speeds through a Wired connection or can the Netgear router not handle it?

Model WGR614v9
Danny C 2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-04-2012, 00:45   #2
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
Re: Superhub as modem and old 10meg Netgear router as 'router'

call VM for a replacement SuperHub.

and spec wise it should be able to handle 50meg wired although I wouldn't trust it. I'd buy an upgrade router if your going to use your own.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 08:02   #3
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny C 2k View Post
Hey guys, I was having an outage earlier today. I received the Network Access: denied status on the superhub page. I decided to chance my arm and put it on modem mode with my old Netgear. It worked!

On to the topic: Will I still get my 50mb speeds through a Wired connection or can the Netgear router not handle it?

Model WGR614v9
That router is a g so only good for a maximum of 25Mb, why not buy yourself a decent N router instead.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 15:38   #4
Neo-Tech
Inactive

Neo-Tech is on a distinguished roadNeo-Tech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
call VM for a replacement SuperHub.

and spec wise it should be able to handle 50meg wired although I wouldn't trust it. I'd buy an upgrade router if your going to use your own.
Why do you always suggest replacing the SuperHub? It could be a network fault for all we know. Usually it is. I've had this a few times and had to wait a few hours for my connection to return.
Neo-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 17:18   #5
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

i dont always suggest replacing the SuperHub.

how could modem mode fix a local or national network fault?
Old 16-04-2012, 17:25   #6
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
i dont always suggest replacing the SuperHub.
You do most of the time

Quote:
how could modem mode fix a local or national network fault?
the modem mode more likely forced a re-connect (it reboots itself when you change mode)
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 17:36   #7
thenry
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k12 View Post
You do most of the time
no i dont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k12 View Post
the modem mode more likely forced a re-connect (it reboots itself when you change mode)
a call to VM would have them test the connection. a reset would force a reconnect. again if its a network end fault and not the bugged SH glitching how could switching modes, resetting the SH cure the problem?
Old 16-04-2012, 20:43   #8
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
a call to VM would have them test the connection. a reset would force a reconnect. again if its a network end fault and not the bugged SH glitching how could switching modes, resetting the SH cure the problem?
more like maintenance, the superhub wasnt allowed access to the network, I think it retries a couple of times, then doesnt bother, so a reboot, which was done by changing into modem mode, got it to reconnect
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote