Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What is hitting football viewing figures the most?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

What is hitting football viewing figures the most?
View Poll Results: Why are football viewing figures down?
Illegal streaming 19 22.35%
Subscription costs 58 68.24%
Over saturation on TV 21 24.71%
Milleniums following the games on social media 2 2.35%
Quality of games being shown 7 8.24%
Teams with big fanbases being relegated 1 1.18%
Teams with small fanbases qualifying for Europe 1 1.18%
BT Showcase being under promoted 6 7.06%
Big games been shown on Fridays and Mondays (SKY) 6 7.06%
Games clashing with other big family shows (Great British Bake Off etc..) 3 3.53%
Interest in football is generally on the slide 10 11.76%
Other 7 8.24%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28-10-2016, 23:24   #1
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
What is hitting football viewing figures the most?

We've seen reports in recent weeks that SKY's Premiership viewing figures are down as are BT Sports Champions League viewing figures. What's causing this? There seems to be many factors mentioned but thought I'd ask the good people of Cable Forum why you think people aren't tuning in. Is it cost? Illegal streaming? Or possibly over saturation? I've just had a look at http://www.live-footballontv.com/ there's 37 live games of football on TV over the next 2 days! You can literally watch live football, depending on your subcription, from when you wake up on Saturday and Sunday right through to bedtime.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-10-2016, 23:29   #2
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age
Re: What is hitting football viewing figures the most?

I only care about watching the team I follow, and the frustrating rules about not showing certain matches mean I'm only able to watch those games 'illegally' though how illegal it is is still up to some dispute. That obviously makes people wise to the idea of just watching games that way all the time. Kodi boxes have made it so easy now and sports packages aren't exactly cheap or getting cheaper so I'm not surprised people are just going online or using cardsharing skyboxes or kodi.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 23:43   #3
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

I care mostly about the premier league and when you have to pay for Sky Sports + BTSport to only see half of the games it's ridiculous, especially when they cost more than the base TV, Broadband and phone package. Pretty much every other country outside of the UK pay less than we do for ALL of the games.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 23:45   #4
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skie View Post
I only care about watching the team I follow, and the frustrating rules about not showing certain matches mean I'm only able to watch those games 'illegally' .
It's an interesting point. I used to watch all things football but now just watch Rangers and Scotland when they're playing. Always liked the idea of being able to buy a TV season ticket for your own team. Many rules would need to change to allow this, and your team would obviously be nervous in terms of dropped home game ticket sales, but there would have to be a compromise. Maybe a TV season ticket that allows you to watch all of your teams away games plus cup fixtures for say £10.00 per month. I'd be up for that.
Old 28-10-2016, 23:47   #5
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Because they're overpaid, highly strung prettyboys and they always look worse in an Olympic year after some proper sporting endeavour has been on the tv?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 23:53   #6
Chad
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabaal View Post
I care mostly about the premier league and when you have to pay for Sky Sports + BTSport to only see half of the games it's ridiculous, especially when they cost more than the base TV, Broadband and phone package. Pretty much every other country outside of the UK pay less than we do for ALL of the games.
Depending on who you get your TV service from, SKY Sports and BT Sports in HD can cost you nearly £60 per month. Most football fans could get a season ticket for their team for less. A season ticket for Rangers (my team) starts from £295.00. A season ticket, travel costs, something to eat and drink plus a programme for each game would still work out cheaper than subscribing to BT Sport and SKY Sports.
Old 29-10-2016, 02:17   #7
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

The popularity of media boxes such as those that run Kodi, plus the boxes like the Zgemma that allow a user to view everything a paying SKY / Virgin subscriber views and more.

These boxes are not illegal, they are available all over the net, just don't use them to view SKY or Virgin PPV content.

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 02:51   #8
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Its inevitable the bubble will burst although I wouldnt say its happened yet, but year on year inflation busting costs are not sustainable. Sky have been managing it somewhat by increasing their lower packages a lot to subsidise their higher costs so people who just pay for the entertainment pack e.g. subsidise sky sports.

illegal streaming is typically of poor quality unless you stream directly from NBC or EPL streaming services (the latter I think very few people do), those who watch streams on the net and on kodi are probably doing so as a last resort due to not having the means to pay for sky sports.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 05:46   #9
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

It is pricey to watch that is for sure but personally l think too many are jumping to quick conclusions based on nowhere near enough solid continuous evidence.
Old 29-10-2016, 06:50   #10
Superblade7
cf.geek

Services: Sky Q 2TB & Sky Q Mini (Box Sets with Cinema & Sports HD) with VM VIVID 100Mbps Broadband & M Phone
Superblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond repute

I think that there needs to be proper competition in this market and this doesn't happen with the current model of match bundles. Like you've said above to get all the games you need to subscribe to both Sky Sports and BT Sports. I think it would be better (for the consumer not the Premier League, UEFA, etc) if Sky, BT and any other provider who wished to buy football rights could show all the games. This would then be genuine competition as both Sky, BT and whoever else would be showing the same matches giving us consumers a genuine choice of who to subscribe too based on price, quality of service, etc.

Also, no disrespect to some of the teams in the Premier League as they are there on merit, but a lot of former 'big' teams are now in the Football League meaning there are now more less supported teams in the Premier League. This also means there are also a fair few matches that, unless you support the clubs, probably don't entice big viewing figures (Stoke v West Brom, Swansea v Watford, Hull v Burnley, etc).

Last edited by Superblade7; 29-10-2016 at 07:00.
Superblade7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 08:39   #11
UnStable
cf.member

UnStable is an unknown quantity at this point

The archaic ruling by the FA that 3pm kick offs cannot be televised in the UK is a major factor for illegal streaming.
This afternoon we have:

Manchester United v Burnley
Tottenham Hotspur v Leicester City
West Bromwich Albion v Manchester City
Middlesbrough v Bournemouth
Watford v Hull City

Which no one in the UK can watch legally today. Yet free (or paid for) illegal streams in HD and with full english commentary are easily available for all these games?
I'd happily pay to see my team play on a UK sports channel if it was a 3pm kick off but guess what I'll be doing instead.
UnStable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 09:57   #12
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Not likely to happen but ,

I'd like the Premier League to sell its product itself. Options to subscribe direct with them for online/connected devices with options such as follow your team or complete access.

The Premier league to have its own TV channels which are offered across all pay tv platforms allowing everyone equal access.

---------- Post added at 09:57 ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
It is pricey to watch that is for sure but personally l think too many are jumping to quick conclusions based on nowhere near enough solid continuous evidence.
Currently 78% have come to the same conclusion I'd said only a week or two back.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 10:00   #13
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Not likely to happen but ,

I'd like the Premier League to sell its product itself. Options to subscribe direct with them for online/connected devices with options such as follow your team or complete access.

The Premier league to have its own TV channels which are offered across all pay tv platforms allowing everyone equal access.

And you think they would offer that at a reasonable price MM?.

---------- Post added at 10:00 ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 ----------

Quote:
Currently 78% have come to the same conclusion I'd said only a week or two back.
Then your influence and reach is stronger then l thought.
Old 29-10-2016, 10:05   #14
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

They could certainly do it cheaper than it currently costs to watch all that , as I say they won't do because at the moment they are receiving bucket loads of cash from Sky and BT but how long can they go on paying those types of sums ?
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 10:18   #15
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
They could certainly do it cheaper than it currently costs to watch all that , as I say they won't do because at the moment they are receiving bucket loads of cash from Sky and BT but how long can they go on paying those types of sums ?
Well let me pose the question back to you MM as you are quite a bit more knowledgeable then l and that is how long do you think they will continue to fork out the cash for the rights.