Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Superhub 2

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Superhub 2

Old 28-11-2012, 02:39   #46
jempalmer

Services: 500gb Tivo & V+. TV XL, 60MB BB, M Phone.
Re: Superhub 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
annoyed at the fact so many problems have occured. right or wrong the impact of hand being forced in someway should of at least seen a stable firmware long before the recent improvements.
Is it that much better? I'm not on R37.
Advertisement
Old 28-11-2012, 02:47   #47
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
it looked like the superhub is now but with tiny leds and a matt finish
thats surprising. i would of thought the hardware had some form of focus point to be smaller or build to fit in a more attractive case. whats the point in having same cases, new shouldnt be an exact same styling of an older product. having said that id take the same shell style for better hardware qaulity etc.

---------- Post added at 02:47 ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jempalmer View Post
Is it that much better? I'm not on R37.
I was comparing to all the earlier bodged firmwares.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 02:58   #48
jempalmer

What leads you to suppose that R37 isn't as borked as the previous versions? Is it stable?
Old 28-11-2012, 03:09   #49
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by umbrokhan786 View Post
super hub 2 coming out after Xmaz and new year. that's what I heard.
1) when superhub 2 comes out after new year 2013 will all the VM customers get it or do we have to buy it?

someone give more details on this.
VM wont replace all SH1s with SH2s. VM took the hit replacing all older kit already. The SH1 can function even if its not high end. If it doesn't meet the needs of customers then theres modem mode so you can link whatever choice of compatible router you wish. I know someone living in a pretty big house running the SH1 in combo mode with no problems, I don't know how. Bottom line each to their own.

Long answer short yes you'll probably be asked to pay a fee if you request a SH2.

---------- Post added at 03:02 ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jempalmer View Post
What leads you to suppose that R37 isn't as borked as the previous versions? Is it stable?
It'll have bugs and room for improvement thats for sure but nothing like what was before. If you compare what was to what is now it is a lot stable.

---------- Post added at 03:09 ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB2004 View Post
Community trials are related to something new

I was contacted by the forum team 5 days before they announced the survey asking for trialists which they only did on 27th, and was told I'd been hand picked and reserved a place.

Then when I filled in the survey it was asking for my home address.

So presumably they are gonna send out something.
yeah got that myself too. heres hope that we get the SH2 to trial then keep

someone did get a little too excited though sending the first message with no link is that a good sign or just a repeat of something similar to everyones getting 120meg.
Old 28-11-2012, 03:12   #50
jempalmer

OK mate, I shall await the SH2 Can't wait until we get out of this contract. Then we'll have Infinity. VM for TV and BT for BB.
Old 28-11-2012, 03:50   #51
thenry
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
i think it is hilarious that they havent been able to fix all the issues with the first pme before they release the second one.

In all seriousness the most important question I have is whether shub2 will have modem mode. I know some peeps might think that it doesnt need it but given VMs/Netgears track record with the shub why not edge on the side of caution just in case. They would win some respect if they used their initiative and put it in without us having to beg. Shows they listen and care.
The SH1 will get there I suspect. To be honest I don't understand why the firmware problems have taken so long to fix. Whether or not the SH was forced out somethings not right ? We're supposedly talking highly skilled coders or is it really that lone monkey I found.

'My opinion' is that modem mode will be within SH2.

---------- Post added at 03:50 ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 ----------

Quote:
ive seen a few pictures of the prototype and by the looks of it it does infact have a usb port and can do dual band wifi
apologies mate i didnt see this post until now. I was told about the ducks mouth too which simultaneously erupted in happiness

i need to get out more
Old 28-11-2012, 05:05   #52
Milambar
Inactive

Milambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond repute

The only feature I care about is...

Bug Free.
Milambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 08:05   #53
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

it uses a new psu, that will be fun and games with daft installers trying to use existing ones, least they wont be noisy anymore
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 09:08   #54
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Just so most people know why who knows what (!!!), the clue to the new SH is through this Googled link: http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...wNCshylvA2Dv-w

It's tempting to offer comment - but maybe lessons learned have been applied. Like don't mess with the firmware; don't slug the thing!

When I get my trial box, I'll come off modem mode (after a couple of days) and give the thing a proper run in router mode, though I'll slave the Airport Extreme (Bridge mode) just to do something possibly different from other triallists.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 09:52   #55
dave.m
cf.addict

dave.m is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: Superhub 2

Quote:
it uses a new psu, that will be fun and games with daft installers trying to use existing ones, least they wont be noisy anymore
You hope.

I'd like to see a reduced power footprint if operating in modem mode. If it uses more than SH1 it will be a backwards step.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 10:28   #56
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Huh, another VMDG485. I remember the last one that didn't materialize, based on the exact same information...

Shame they ditched Huawei, though with "N750" wireless it seems a cut above average.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 10:45   #57
robson689
Inactive

Services: VM 60Mbit, TiVo.
robson689 has a spectacular aura about themrobson689 has a spectacular aura about themrobson689 has a spectacular aura about themrobson689 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Huh, another VMDG485. I remember the last one that didn't materialize, based on the exact same information...

Shame they ditched Huawei, though with "N750" wireless it seems a cut above average.
If you go to Start -> Network, the Super Hub thinks it is a VMDG485.

http://d.pr/i/wLSV
robson689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 10:57   #58
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by robson689 View Post
If you go to Start -> Network, the Super Hub thinks it is a VMDG485.

http://d.pr/i/wLSV
?? Huh?

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 11:05   #59
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

I hope themry is right I think was a huge design fault to have cables at the large back area, instead of narrow side, think of most small sized electronic devices, phones, routers, modem etc. Think where cable placement is on those devices.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 11:12   #60
morley04
Inactive

Services: 100MB, Tivo 1TB, V+HD and XL Phone
morley04 is on a distinguished roadmorley04 is on a distinguished road

I completed the survey yesterday but have no idea how I came across it. was it emailed or something?
morley04 is offline   Reply With Quote