Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Happy Birthday to brava210, Tightscot

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Sainsbury's customers can chill out over freezing food

Old 10-02-2012, 12:25   #1
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Sainsbury's customers can chill out over freezing food

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16977252

Quote:
Sainsbury's is removing advice to freeze food "on day of purchase" from its labels and informing customers it can be done up until the use-by date.
The UK's third-largest supermarket chain believes 800,000 tonnes of food a year could be saved from the bin.
I've been doing this for years..Still here. I also eat eggs past their best by date and I'm still here.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:45   #2
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: Sainsbury's customers can chill out over freezing food

This highlights another example of a combination of well intentioned guidelines/legislation and a lack of common sense have led to a public overreation which has resulted in masses of wasted food. We too have been buying, eating and freezing almost out of date food for years with no ill effects. Just can't stand waste......
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:49   #3
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16977252

I've been doing this for years..Still here. I also eat eggs past their best by date and I'm still here.
Me too Maggy, if it looks ok, smells ok, chances are it is ok.

Anyone would think we had no common sense.

Mrs Pabs is murder for throwing stuff just past it's sell by date, which does my head in.
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:55   #4
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Eggs put in a bowl of water

If it sinks and lies flat it's nice and fresh

If it sinks but sort of stands up - it's OK but you may not want to make mayo with it or eat raw

If it floats, probably best to discard it.
Old 10-02-2012, 19:13   #5
Zee
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Zee has reached the bronze age
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age

Milk lasts a couple days after its use by date, i dont go by these labels anyway.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 19:42   #6
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

We have often put stuff in the freezer that is close to its use by date.
Old 10-02-2012, 19:46   #7
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
Eggs put in a bowl of water

If it sinks and lies flat it's nice and fresh

If it sinks but sort of stands up - it's OK but you may not want to make mayo with it or eat raw

If it floats, probably best to discard it.
And if it hatches, feed it and you can have chicken in the summer
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 20:38   #8
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Have always ignored this rubbish, I buy near out of date stuff from the shops when it's reduced to silly. Money and freeze it til I want it which can be months. Had some chicken a year passed its use by a few weeks ago and it was fine!
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:28   #9
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
We have often put stuff in the freezer that is close to its use by date.
Yes we have often done the same thing and when we have took it out 6 months later it is perfectly fine and l also remember remember when l was younger having a topside joint which l had in the chest freezer for 2 years and when l took that out and cooked it it tasted as good as ever.