Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Cable to National Service

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

Cable to National Service

Old 07-06-2011, 18:58   #1
magpieman
Inactive

Services: TV: XL, V+, Phone M, Broadband 2mg, Virgin Mob
magpieman is an unknown quantity at this point
Cable to National Service

Hi

We are moving house from a cable area to a national service area, it is in the same telephone area, the first person I spoke to said I could take my phone number with me but now I have been told I can't. Who is right?

Thanks for any replies.
magpieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-06-2011, 09:37   #2
magpieman
Inactive

Re: Cable to National Service

Anyone?
Old 08-06-2011, 12:18   #3
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

I don't know for sure but I would imagine you can transfer your number, the way I look at it is, if you can port a number from BT to virgin cable and back again, why should'nt you be able to transfer it from virgin cable to national.

The only advice I can give is make sure you dont cancel your cable phone service untill you have a line working in your new house, because if you cancel prematurely there is a possibility your number could get snapped up by someone else.

This nearly happened to me a while ago.

Are you planning on using National for your broadband as well, only I'm sure I've read on here that it's not much cop.

I could be wrong though
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 18:02   #4
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Having read previous posts on this subject it looks like an absolute minefield. The ongoing problem seems to be that Virgin areas and BT exchange areas don't match. I can't see that this would be a problem if you're moving to an area with an unbundled BT exchange, but if the local exchange is BT national maybe there would be a porting problem? Don't know. Hopfully one of the techies will pick this up for you.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 18:04   #5
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabscars View Post
Are you planning on using National for your broadband as well, only I'm sure I've read on here that it's not much cop.

I could be wrong though
You are wrong

It has had congestion issues in the past, but I've had reliable, fast connections at all times of day for quite some time now. Plus I've never hit any kind of cap or throttle even in periods of heavy downloading.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:33   #6
magpieman
Inactive

Thanks for the replies guys, I am going to phone again today to check I will probably get a different answer this time.

We really want to keep our phone number if possible. The annoying thing is that next door but one can get cable services but because ours is a small private road they didn't lay the cables so we have to have National Service. So I will lose my TV service and I love the V+.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:50   #7
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
You are wrong

It has had congestion issues in the past, but I've had reliable, fast connections at all times of day for quite some time now. Plus I've never hit any kind of cap or throttle even in periods of heavy downloading.
Indeed, when it's working all is fine here too.

Although mine has just been out for three weeks.

As for porting the phone number - when I moved from cable to national I couldn't do it.

That was here in sunny Bedfordshire though.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:42   #8
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf1701 View Post
Indeed, when it's working all is fine here too.

Although mine has just been out for three weeks.

As for porting the phone number - when I moved from cable to national I couldn't do it.

That was here in sunny Bedfordshire though.
In that case it may be benefitial for the OP to move to an alternative service provider where porting the number across shouldnt be a problem. I went from BT to Virgin to Sky and managed to retain my number each time.

My wife is very attached to our phone number and would sooner get a divorce than risk loosing it , so I know where your coming from.
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote