Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | V6 installation

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

V6 installation
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2017, 20:29   #1
Raider999
cf.addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 175
Raider999 is an unknown quantity at this point
V6 installation

I recently signed up to switch from sky & BT broadband to virgin.

I will be on the top package at a good offer rate.

The installation is due to take place on Friday. When I signed up I told the rep I was on a course for 9 weeks and he added a rider requesting last installation of the day.

I had a text today confirming installation as 1 to 6pm, I replied reminding them of the last installation request, only to receive an intransigent reply stating it was 1 to 6 and couldn't be narrowed any further.

I will not be able to be there until around 4:30, my wife will be there from around 2pm.

Most companies will give a smaller window when pushed - it appears virgin will not!

My question is what happens if the installer turns up to find no one in?

To put it mildly, I will not be happy if the instal does not happen.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-01-2017, 20:41   #2
jb66
cf.mega poster
 
jb66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,175
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
Re: V6 installation

The timeslot is 1-6 so you should have made arrangements to have access for virgin between 1 and 6. The Rep knows that virgin installers are not flexible on moving jobs around due to high workload. If it doesnt go to plan I would be having a word with him.

If someone isn't in, I move on to the next job, if I have time to go back I will, but if I dont have time then I dont
__________________
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent Virgin Media's positions, strategies or opinions."
jb66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 21:23   #3
Raider999
cf.addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 175
Raider999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: V6 installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
The timeslot is 1-6 so you should have made arrangements to have access for virgin between 1 and 6. The Rep knows that virgin installers are not flexible on moving jobs around due to high workload. If it doesnt go to plan I would be having a word with him.

If someone isn't in, I move on to the next job, if I have time to go back I will, but if I dont have time then I dont
Thanks for the prompt reply, as I said I was led to believe this would be OK - by the sounds of this it may not be.

unfortunately my job is more important than tv, so if they turn up and find no one in then so be it - we will have to reschedule.

Perhaps they should realise that people cannot take time off work to suit virgin.

Sunday would be by far the best day, but guess what virgin don't install on Sunday's.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 21:52   #4
jb66
cf.mega poster
 
jb66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,175
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
Re: V6 installation

Not many companies still value family time. I'm glad Virgin don't force staff to work on a Sunday.

Perhaps scheduling Virgin to install on your day off would have been the best option. Saying that if your wife is in by 2pm, they probably will catch her
__________________
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent Virgin Media's positions, strategies or opinions."
jb66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 22:10   #5
Raider999
cf.addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 175
Raider999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: V6 installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Not many companies still value family time. I'm glad Virgin don't force staff to work on a Sunday.

Perhaps scheduling Virgin to install on your day off would have been the best option. Saying that if your wife is in by 2pm, they probably will catch her
Didn't expect virgin to force staff to work Sunday's - however in the words of one of my senior managers 'everyone works shifts these days'

Already, stated on a long term course myself - as for days off ha-ha.

Remember taking several days off many years ago, waiting in for tradesmen who neither turned up nor called to cancel.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:10   #6
jb66
cf.mega poster
 
jb66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,175
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
Re: V6 installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Didn't expect virgin to force staff to work Sunday's - however in the words of one of my senior managers 'everyone works shifts these days'

Already, stated on a long term course myself - as for days off ha-ha.

Remember taking several days off many years ago, waiting in for tradesmen who neither turned up nor called to cancel.
Do you work Sundays?
__________________
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent Virgin Media's positions, strategies or opinions."
jb66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 19:39   #7
Raider999
cf.addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 175
Raider999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: V6 installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Do you work Sundays?

Obviously I don't - hence I would like to have a Sunday instal so I can ensure I am there.

I mentioned this just now to my wife, who replied "I don't see why you couldn't have a Sunday installation as I have seen Virgin vans out and about on a Sunday"

So someone is telling porkies aren't they?
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 19:52   #8
spiderplant
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 7,112
spiderplant has a nice shiny starspiderplant has a nice shiny starspiderplant has a nice shiny starspiderplant has a nice shiny starspiderplant has a nice shiny star
spiderplant has a nice shiny starspiderplant has a nice shiny starspiderplant has a nice shiny starspiderplant has a nice shiny starspiderplant has a nice shiny starspiderplant has a nice shiny starspiderplant has a nice shiny star
Re: V6 installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
I mentioned this just now to my wife, who replied "I don't see why you couldn't have a Sunday installation as I have seen Virgin vans out and about on a Sunday"
Just because they are in vans doesn't mean they are doing installations.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 20:21   #9
vm_tech
cf.addict
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 275
vm_tech is a glorious beacon of lightvm_tech is a glorious beacon of lightvm_tech is a glorious beacon of lightvm_tech is a glorious beacon of lightvm_tech is a glorious beacon of lightvm_tech is a glorious beacon of lightvm_tech is a glorious beacon of light
Re: V6 installation

I was previously a network engineer, now a business engineer, and we are a 24/7/365 dept. Somebody always on call. But that's because with our work, issues can arise at any time. Probably my van you saw on a Sunday! Although service sometimes get offered OT to come in on a Sunday if the lead times get too long
vm_tech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 14:02   #10
DJSADERS
Ex - McNicholas Guildford
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Guildford, Surrey, UK
Age: 26
Services: XL TV, 2 X 1TB Cisco TiVo, 152MB BB (SHUB3), XL Phone
Posts: 306
DJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to DJSADERS
Re: V6 installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Didn't expect virgin to force staff to work Sunday's - however in the words of one of my senior managers 'everyone works shifts these days'
This is not true the contractor installers (which do most of the installs btw) work from 8am until the days work is completed whether that be 6pm or 10pm!

And minimum 5 days possibly 6 days a week depending on the time of year...


Also you might want to look at your attitude it stinks! You have asked a question and your attitude with your reply is completely wrong!
__________________
Ex - McNicholas - Virgin Media Install Tech - Guildford (Area Ref: 26)
(All views are my own )
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5311285059
DJSADERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 15:11   #11
trickytree
cf.addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Nottingham
Services: VIP50
Posts: 414
trickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about them
Re: V6 installation

This does make me laugh like the engineer who was with me last Friday.

He was with me at 17:45 and I said I must be the last call of the day and he said no I have 1 more to do.
At 18:10 he gets a call and it is the guy saying where are you it is after 6pm and you are not here etc.

The engineer tells me this guy had a 1-6 appointment like I had and he turns up and no one is answering the door. So he has to call the contact number.
The guy says he is at work until 16:30 and will have to come back later!
The engineer agrees but tells him due to this he will have to be the last call of the day.
He told me where this call was and it was probably 30 mins drive away as he had planned the route before and now due to him not being in he had to go right out his way again.
So at 18:10 he has the engineers number as he had to call him when he was not answering the door and is asking where he is etc?!?!?!

I think if I had been the engineer I would have said tough you were not there try booking again.

I don't know what that last call was but he was not going to finish the day until gone 7 when it was probably going to be 6pm if he had been there.
trickytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 15:53   #12
jb66
cf.mega poster
 
jb66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,175
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
Re: V6 installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickytree View Post
This does make me laugh like the engineer who was with me last Friday.

He was with me at 17:45 and I said I must be the last call of the day and he said no I have 1 more to do.
At 18:10 he gets a call and it is the guy saying where are you it is after 6pm and you are not here etc.

The engineer tells me this guy had a 1-6 appointment like I had and he turns up and no one is answering the door. So he has to call the contact number.
The guy says he is at work until 16:30 and will have to come back later!
The engineer agrees but tells him due to this he will have to be the last call of the day.
He told me where this call was and it was probably 30 mins drive away as he had planned the route before and now due to him not being in he had to go right out his way again.
So at 18:10 he has the engineers number as he had to call him when he was not answering the door and is asking where he is etc?!?!?!

I think if I had been the engineer I would have said tough you were not there try booking again.

I don't know what that last call was but he was not going to finish the day until gone 7 when it was probably going to be 6pm if he had been there.
I would have told the customer he has had his chance
__________________
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent Virgin Media's positions, strategies or opinions."
jb66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 22:06   #13
Raider999
cf.addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 175
Raider999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: V6 installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSADERS View Post
This is not true the contractor installers (which do most of the installs btw) work from 8am until the days work is completed whether that be 6pm or 10pm!

And minimum 5 days possibly 6 days a week depending on the time of year...


Also you might want to look at your attitude it stinks! You have asked a question and your attitude with your reply is completely wrong!
My attitude stinks???

The early replies up I got suggested the replies hadn't even read all of my posts - hence my replies.

An update on the install

1. engineer phoned me at workplace at 11:50 - strange for a 1-6 pm install.

2. I explained my situation, he asked when someone would be in , told him and was humbly grateful he came back to do the job.

3. No idea what my virgin email address is - will have to try to find out on Sunday (assuming Virgin support work Sundays)

4. Only minor gripe with the install was the removal of my sky cables on the upstairs box - used a hole to put virgin connection in - this results in not being able to record on my upstairs sky box in the month overlap despite having to pay sky for it (cable appears to have been left in a loop outside my bedroom window!!!)

Doing a multiple record test on both boxes this weekend, however initial experience seems very good, although sound is a lot louder than sky boxes (is this normal?)
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 23:05   #14
OhReally
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: V6 installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Do you work Sundays?
Self-employed, so EVERY day is a working day. If clients want to see me I go. Have 2 this Sunday afternoon.
  Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 06:44   #15
jb66
cf.mega poster
 
jb66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,175
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
Re: V6 installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Obviously I don't - hence I would like to have a Sunday instal so I can ensure I am there.

I mentioned this just now to my wife, who replied "I don't see why you couldn't have a Sunday installation as I have seen Virgin vans out and about on a Sunday"

So someone is telling porkies aren't they?
Bit ironic that you expect Virgin media to be working on a Sunday when your job doesn't involve working Sundays either.
__________________
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent Virgin Media's positions, strategies or opinions."
jb66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 21:15.


Server: xenon.zmnt.net
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.