Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | SCART to HDMI TV ?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Digital TV Services Discussion

SCART to HDMI TV ?

Old 02-05-2012, 20:13   #1
sargan
Inactive

sargan is an unknown quantity at this point
SCART to HDMI TV ?

OK .. until today I had a Panasonic Vierra TV connected to Humax PVR and DVDR and a Yamaha Home Cinema Receiver.
All hooked up as per this drawing:
http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/x...kupwithPVR.jpg

New TV (Samsung 46ex6800) has no SCART ... HDMI only
It does have Component Video in and optical audio out

So assuming last 2 stay as is ... do I hook up as before .. and then have to invest in SCART to HDMI converter & upscaler for the DVDR output (AV4 on TV in pic) and PVR output (AV3 in on TV in drawing)

That is going to mean about £100 for 2 x converters and 2 x HDMI leads.

Obviously I will update in future, and BluRay and new PVR will be HDMI.

If my assumptions above are right ... any reconsiderations for which HDMI converters to buy?
sargan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-05-2012, 20:29   #2
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: SCART to HDMI TV ?

Can you confirm the Samsung TV model? A Google for "46ex6800" only finds this thread.
I want to check what inputs it has.

ps. welcome to the forum!
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 20:56   #3
sargan
Inactive

Ooops ... I meant Samsung 46UE46ES6800
Old 02-05-2012, 22:03   #4
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

OK, that TV does have one SCART, probably on a short dangly lead.

If either your PVR or DVD has two SCART sockets, you can daisy-chain them. PVR-DVD-TV or DVD-PVR-TV. Failing that, a cheap SCART switch will solve the problem.
Old 02-05-2012, 22:05   #5
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Samsungs tend to use a custom connector for RGB and Scart connections. It is there, but you'll need a special connector for it.. Something like http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-UE40...5988903&sr=8-1
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 23:11   #6
sargan
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Samsungs tend to use a custom connector for RGB and Scart connections. It is there, but you'll need a special connector for it.. Something like http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-UE40...5988903&sr=8-1
One short SCART socket to HDMI lead was included ... just wondered whether it is worth expense of getting SCART - HDMI converter with 1080 upscaler.
Old 03-05-2012, 00:12   #7
Rockabilly Spike
Inactive

Rockabilly Spike has much to be proud ofRockabilly Spike has much to be proud ofRockabilly Spike has much to be proud ofRockabilly Spike has much to be proud ofRockabilly Spike has much to be proud ofRockabilly Spike has much to be proud ofRockabilly Spike has much to be proud ofRockabilly Spike has much to be proud ofRockabilly Spike has much to be proud ofRockabilly Spike has much to be proud of

why are people still wanting a socket from the late 1970's on a TV in 2012?
Rockabilly Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:03   #8
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargan View Post
One short SCART socket to HDMI lead was included ... just wondered whether it is worth expense of getting SCART - HDMI converter with 1080 upscaler.
Personally I wouldn't. You'll still only get SCART quality. Put the money towards a new Blu-ray player instead.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:08   #9
Stuart
-

Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Probably not. If your TV is anything like mine, it'll actually do a fairly good job of upscaling. As suggested above, it's probably better to save up your money for a blu-ray player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockabilly Spike View Post
Maybe because he (or she) doesn't have the money to replace the Home Cinema system and DVR? Both of these may only have Scart (or worse) connections.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:33   #10
sargan
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockabilly Spike View Post

Easy answer .... as in the 21st C that is the sockets that came with my Humax PVR and Panasonic DVDR.
It maybe SCARt was invented in 70's .... stilll standard on audio kit up to 5 years ago.

The Yamaha Home cinema has RCA/Phono, s-video, composite video , TOSliunk optiocal audio ... that's it

This was also an expensive replacement for previous Home Theatre system that was only Dolby,5:1 and not Dolby Digital

I don't doubt I'll chnage them all .,.. but not in one go.

My thoughts are now run DVDR thru the adapater lead, buy another for PVR ..... adn then next step chnage PVR to HD version.
BluRay & amp later
Old 03-05-2012, 12:37   #11
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

Quote:
My thoughts are now run DVDR thru the adapater lead, buy another for PVR
Careful - if it's like my Samsung TV, it only has one socket that supports the SCART adaptor. Although it looks like a HDMI connector, it isn't one.
Old 03-05-2012, 13:16   #12
Stuart
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Careful - if it's like my Samsung TV, it only has one socket that supports the SCART adaptor. Although it looks like a HDMI connector, it isn't one.
Same here...
Old 03-05-2012, 13:33   #13
sargan
Inactive

OK ... then maybe I'll try plugging PVR into the Samsung adapter ... I may be able to feed DVDR into 2nd SCART socket on PVR

Previously I could not do that as Q-Link (Panasonic) needed between DVDR and TV ... not a Q anymore.

It would be nice to have option to be able to DVDR record - as it had no Digital tuner I used it for recording whatever chn the TV was set to ... maybe I just can't d that anymore.
Old 06-05-2012, 20:48   #14
mike7
Inactive

mike7 will become famous soon enoughmike7 will become famous soon enoughmike7 will become famous soon enough

SCART is for Analogue signal and HDMI is digital. A straight one to one connecter isn't possible. This is pointed out in the AMAZON ad.
mike7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 21:16   #15
sargan
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7 View Post
SCART is for Analogue signal and HDMI is digital. A straight one to one connecter isn't possible. This is pointed out in the AMAZON ad.
Not sure what Amazon add you mean.
The TV did come with a SCART adapter, but assume this is specific and for the one port only.