Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | BBC1 region - why do I receive BBC London?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

BBC1 region - why do I receive BBC London?

Old 19-03-2012, 22:25   #1
Cucumber
Inactive

Cucumber is an unknown quantity at this point
BBC1 region - why do I receive BBC London?

Hi,

I know this has been discussed in the past, however I am curious to know if Virgin's ability to resolve this has changed.

Put simply, I live in Hampshire but receive BBC1 London. I want BBC1 South. Can Virgin 'point' me at my region of choice?

Thanks.
Cucumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-03-2012, 23:10   #2
Lew
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Re: BBC1 region - why do I receive BBC London?

I have the same problem here. Strangely though, ITV Meridian is available on 870 but there's no option for BBC South.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 00:26   #3
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cucumber View Post
Hi,

I know this has been discussed in the past, however I am curious to know if Virgin's ability to resolve this has changed.

Put simply, I live in Hampshire but receive BBC1 London. I want BBC1 South. Can Virgin 'point' me at my region of choice?

Thanks.
Because of the way the cable franchise system was origionaly set up some cut across region boundaries. The choice of region you get is dependant on the location of the cable headend your local network is connected too. For most of the NE part of Hampshire this is Guildford, which is in the London TSA.

As Lew points out, there is an additional feed to this area for ITV Meridian South on 870.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 09:17   #4
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
I have the same problem here. Strangely though, ITV Meridian is available on 870 but there's no option for BBC South.
Does Meridian actually cover the south? The last time I saw it we were part of south east when it came to weather.
Old 20-03-2012, 11:47   #5
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
Does Meridian actually cover the south? The last time I saw it we were part of south east when it came to weather.
Strange you are getting Meridian SE instead of S. Are you HD enabled. What do you get on ITV1 HD when the local news is on?
Old 20-03-2012, 12:07   #6
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
I am in Bershire and I get BBC south and Meridian ITV south news and
Weather
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 15:02   #7
Lew
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array

The BBC1 and ITV Meridian that can be received from the Hannington transmitter both cover Fleet on their local news. We used to be able to watch the local BBC news via the analogue version but that's no longer available. It's not worth getting a Freeview box for that TV though, epecially when VM have shown that they can provide multiple regions.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 15:43   #8
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
The BBC1 and ITV Meridian that can be received from the Hannington transmitter both cover Fleet on their local news. We used to be able to watch the local BBC news via the analogue version but that's no longer available. It's not worth getting a Freeview box for that TV though, epecially when VM have shown that they can provide multiple regions.
Do you think that they ever will ?
Old 20-03-2012, 17:50   #9
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Quote:
The Hemel franchise here doesn't even touch the Anglia ITV region, but we used to get Anglia on our analogue bypass as well as Carlton. Kept our TV aerial in good condition, so if Virgin's kit ever does break down the TV's can still get something. All our TV's have Freeview built in anyway.