Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 2.4Ghz connection loss

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

2.4Ghz connection loss

Old 24-12-2016, 10:21   #1
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold
2.4Ghz connection loss

I keep losing connection on my SH2's 2.4Ghz signal. My devices appear to stay connected, but I can't access internet or even the router's settings pages. This happens at least weekly, if not more often. The 5Ghz frequency works fine and I wouldn't mind, but I have several devices that only have 2.4Ghz. I've used WiFi analyser and my router is the only one using its WiFi channel.

Anyone got any ideas what could be causing this? Is it worth a call into Faults?
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-12-2016, 10:29   #2
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
Re: 2.4Ghz connection loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Digital View Post
I keep losing connection on my SH2's 2.4Ghz signal. My devices appear to stay connected, but I can't access internet or even the router's settings pages. This happens at least weekly, if not more often. The 5Ghz frequency works fine and I wouldn't mind, but I have several devices that only have 2.4Ghz. I've used WiFi analyser and my router is the only one using its WiFi channel.

Anyone got any ideas what could be causing this? Is it worth a call into Faults?
Dodgy microwave next door? A friend of mine looses connectivity on some of his wireless devices, especially those with low signal strength, when he uses his oven.
Old 24-12-2016, 10:54   #3
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Best solution all round is to put the cruddy thing in modem mode and use your own router.

Last edited by Mr K; 24-12-2016 at 11:01.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 20:47   #4
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Dodgy microwave next door? A friend of mine looses connectivity on some of his wireless devices, especially those with low signal strength, when he uses his oven.
After a Christmas Eve from hell, I've finally just checked the baby monitor and found that also uses the 2.4ghz frequency, so it's a contender. The strange thing though is that the baby monitor is on every night, but this problem doesn't occur that regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Best solution all round is to put the cruddy thing in modem mode and use your own router.
I suspect I'm not on the nice list this year
Old 29-12-2016, 15:17   #5
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

2.4Ghz is a crapshoot these days. Wifi-analyser will only show you other wifi networks, it won't show you the myriad of devices sitting on the same frequency.

I dare say your baby monitor is definitely a contender but probably not the only one.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 15:35   #6
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I use Wifi analyser on my phones/tablets,

I often change them as the need arises
Old 29-12-2016, 16:13   #7
Kushan

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

There's nothing wrong with Wifi-analyzer, but you need to be aware that it only shows you other wireless networks, it won't show wireless interference.
Old 29-12-2016, 20:22   #8
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
There's nothing wrong with Wifi analyzer, but you need to be aware that it only shows you other wireless networks, it won't show wireless interference.
True, but it will first tell you what is going on in your area.

Then you can test your possible equipment.
Old 29-12-2016, 20:31   #9
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
True, but it will first tell you what is going on in your area.

Then you can test your possible equipment.
Unfortunately not. It will only analyse WiFi connections. There's a myriad of other "services" on the same frequencies: Baby alarms. door bells and leaky microwave ovens. The only true way of looking at this band is using a spectrum analyser. Beyond the scope of most members here.
Old 29-12-2016, 21:32   #10
djmagnifique
cf.geek

Services: XL tv with 2x V6 boxes, M phone, 350Mb broadband
djmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond repute

I get this problem as well. I can be sat 1 metre away from the hub and it shows poor signal strength when trying to connect my phone to 2.4Ghz. After a little while it connects to 5Ghz and I have no more problems. It looks like it has been an issue for a while as there are threads on the Virgin community forums about it. I would get a seperate router but I don't physically have a spare power socket near the pc to plug one in.

It's also causing the same problem with my kids tablets.
djmagnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 13:57   #11
Kushan

I don't think a separate router will help, not unless it's an actual fault on the Hub. If it's wireless interference, as we suspect, a dedicated router might not be any better.
Old 01-01-2017, 15:26   #12
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Thanks for all of your replies.
To clarify, my devices show good WiFi signal strength and appear connected. However, they are unable to communicate with the hub.
Old 01-01-2017, 22:39   #13
Paddy63
Inactive

Services: Tivo 1tb, V+, 100meg
Paddy63 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a known problem with the shub2 (not the ac, different chip). Normally rebooting the shub fixes it temporarily. Report a fault and they should replace it with a shub3. I've had 2 shub2's and ended up using my own router, no problems since.
Paddy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:17   #14
djmagnifique
cf.geek

Services: XL tv with 2x V6 boxes, M phone, 350Mb broadband
djmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy63 View Post
It's a known problem with the shub2 (not the ac, different chip). Normally rebooting the shub fixes it temporarily. Report a fault and they should replace it with a shub3. I've had 2 shub2's and ended up using my own router, no problems since.
Might try this a smine is a Shub2.
djmagnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 12:07   #15
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy63 View Post

The loss of Wi-Fi happened to me a couple of years ago and that was with a SH1 which was replaced with a SH2ac which solved the problem.
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote