Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin 3.0 intermittent errors.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin 3.0 intermittent errors.

Old 29-10-2016, 14:43   #1
jeffdmac
Inactive

Services: I have a iMac, MacBook Air, iPhones, iPad, AirPort Time Capsule, AiPort Extreme, Airport Express
jeffdmac is an unknown quantity at this point
Virgin 3.0 intermittent errors.

Hi I have a continuous problem with my Network using my Mac gear, I randomly get a pop-up message on my iMac saying my
"iTunes has has a temporary problem. The network connection timed out"

I have contacted Virgin but they tell me I have too many devices connected to my Hub 3.0 e.g. My Mac Network in my house which consists of a Time Capsule, an AirportExtreme upstairs and a Airport Express on the top floor. extending my Network connections.

My iMac, where I get most errors pop up, is connected directly to the Virgin hub with a RJ45 cable so I am not using my internal network or Virgin WIFI, so I cant see why it keeps getting this problem.

Should I enable Guest Network on my Virgin media hub 3.0 if I connect my Mac network to it?
The Virgin Media Router has it's WIFI operational at the moment in Hub mode.

This is my first post so I'm sorry if it's in the wrong area?
jeffdmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-10-2016, 16:58   #2
Khenryashley
Freedom for smokers

Services: VM. 3 boxes ( 1 x TiVo 2 x V6) 350 mbps BB
Khenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the rough
Re: Virgin 3.0 intermittent errors.

I would try this. Put VM hub in modem mode and use your time capsule as your main router.
Then plug your mac direct to the time capsule or use the TC wifi which is pretty good.
Khenryashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 17:51   #3
jeffdmac
Inactive

Services: I have a iMac, MacBook Air, iPhones, iPad, AirPort Time Capsule, AiPort Extreme, Airport Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khenryashley View Post
I would try this. Put VM hub in modem mode and use your time capsule as your main router.
Then plug your mac direct to the time capsule or use the TC wifi which is pretty good.
Thanks KA, I will give that a go and leave it to see if it still happens.
Old 29-10-2016, 18:25   #4
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdmac View Post
they tell me I have too many devices connected to my Hub 3.0
nope

Quote:
My iMac, where I get most errors pop up, is connected directly to the Virgin hub with a RJ45 cable so I am not using my internal network
I am afraid you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khenryashley View Post
Put VM hub in modem mode and use your time capsule as your main router
spiffing idea

As the shub isn't a proper router the first thing you can do to rule it out as the problem is put it in modem mode and connect a different router. That being said, the fact that you only seem to be experiencing issues with a single service on a single device makes me think the problem lies elsewhere. Once you have jiggled the routers around (very easy to do and make sure you reboot them first and change any settings on your apple router) try iTunes again. If you still have problems have you got a laptop/tablet/phone you can access the account from and repeat the same steps? If you continue to have problems on another device come back and I'll tell you what to do next.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 18:53   #5
jeffdmac
Inactive

I should have been clearer perhaps.

I get these errors on my iMac, but I also get network pages not loading and iTunes network errors on my MacBook Air. Which is on my BT Router via wireless.

My iMac, where I get most errors pop ups, is connected directly to the Virgin hub with a RJ45 cable so I am not using my internal network that is extended with Mac Time Capsule and Airport devices.
Old 30-10-2016, 19:50   #6
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
I am not using my internal network that is extended with Mac Time Capsule and Airport devices.
correct but the primary network so to speak is created by the shub all the devices, even those connected to the time capsule, have to go through the switch on the shub. When you say network pages not loading do you mean webpages like if you tried to load bbc.co.uk? What I am trying to get at is it everything and anything that seems to not load or timeout or is it just apple sites?
Old 31-10-2016, 10:42   #7
jeffdmac
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
correct but the primary network so to speak is created by the shub all the devices, even those connected to the time capsule, have to go through the switch on the shub. When you say network pages not loading do you mean webpages like if you tried to load bbc.co.uk? What I am trying to get at is it everything and anything that seems to not load or timeout or is it just apple sites?
Now and then I get a page not loading and it takes a while to reload.

As far as Apple I have had them take over my iMac and do all sorts but they, told me after their top level had taken a look, to ask Virgin Media if they could help which I did after having to go to the top and they said "Their engineers could see too many devices connected" I told them that some of the devices they could see in my router were not always connected but my grandchildren accessing my network as guests when they visit.

I am not at home at the moment so I have not been able to try the hub as a modem. What I do know is it takes ages to get into my hub from a browser when I am indoors??

---------- Post added at 10:42 ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 ----------

Should I enable Guest Network?????
Old 31-10-2016, 11:35   #8
bolgerp
cf.member

bolgerp is an unknown quantity at this point

I have also started to get this error on iTunes only recently.... everything else seems to be connecting fine and I have no other access issues with other services/websites etc. I suspect this is a problem with iTunes. I never had any issues with iTunes until about two weeks ago.
bolgerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:08   #9
jeffdmac
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolgerp View Post
I have also started to get this error on iTunes only recently.... everything else seems to be connecting fine and I have no other access issues with other services/websites etc. I suspect this is a problem with iTunes. I never had any issues with iTunes until about two weeks ago.
I have just got back to my home and I have just noticed an update for iTunes this morning. Before I do any other testing or changes, I will see if hopefully this has had any effect on the problem.
Old 01-11-2016, 20:20   #10
jeffdmac
Inactive

Tried to change my 3.0 Hub to Modem mode and created a problem as I could not get back into it after the change. It was not until I spoke to a Virgin tech that I was using the wrong IP address after changing it.
When the Hub3.0 is in "Hub Mode" it can be interrogated with 192.168.0.1
If you change it to "Modem Mode" not only does the colour on the front indicator change to Magenta but also you have to use 192.168.100.1 which I didn't know. After a call to Virgin and finding this out I had to leave it for now as others want to use the internet.

The iTunes upgrade made no difference to the random error I am getting, as about an hour later I got the same "Network Error Message"
I 'll try again tomorrow if I get another network error and try as suggested to put the Hub 3.0 in "Modem Mode"......

Also the techy told me the bottom RJ45 port is the one to use to make changes even though its labelled Port 4
Old 02-11-2016, 09:41   #11
General Maximus
Ran Away

my bad for leaving that out but to be fair you don't really need to know it. Other than changing it back to router mode once the shub is in modem mode you can't change any settings because it is literally a modem and that is it. The only time I use the gui is for troubleshooting and checking power levels and stats etc and that is the only time you need to worry about it. All the settings you are going to need to change and configure for your lan will be on your apple router. Put the shub in modem mode and connect your apple router to port 4 (the only active port in modem mode). Your mac/anything else will then need to be connected to one of the ports on your apple router. You will then need to configure your apple router and you will need to look up the up address if you don't know it. The default for Linksys routers is 192.168.1.1. Because the apple is now going to manage your lan for you you will need to configure your dns servers (if you don't want to use VM's), your ip address range (if you don't want to use the default), defo configure your wifi with channels, password, encryption etc and finally any port forwarding you may or may not need. It is a 10 minute job but once it is done you are sorted. Other than perhaps reconnecting the clients to your new wifi networks and inputting the passwords as a first time setup, you won't need to change anything on any of your clients and they will work as is.

Once you think you have set the router up, reboot the shub, then the router and then turn on your mac/anything else.
Old 02-11-2016, 17:27   #12
jeffdmac
Inactive

Thanks GM I'll give it a try when I get back home again... Cheers
Old 07-11-2016, 10:35   #13
jeffdmac
Inactive

Tried making Hub3 a Modem but still getting the same error. In fact I had one a few minutes ago.
So I opened Console and looked at system.log and around that time I found these comments in the log about MacCleanse ??? I don't have MacCleanse installed so does anyone know what this means?
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2016-11-07 at 10.27.24.png (34.9 KB, 21 views)
Old 22-12-2016, 20:06   #14
jeffdmac
Inactive

It's now been two months and many conversations with Virgin Media and most of the Mac Help Desk...
But still I get every so oftern (3 or 4 times a day) the same popup error message.
I cant wait until a years up and go to another provider.
Attached Images
File Type: png iTunes network Error.png (33.6 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by jeffdmac; 22-12-2016 at 20:10.
Old 23-12-2016, 08:41   #15
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Do you only have that problem on your Mac? If so, it might be a Mac problem...
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote