Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Hub 3.0 port forwarding

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Hub 3.0 port forwarding

Old 03-02-2016, 22:39   #16
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all
Re: Hub 3.0 port forwarding

Unfortunately I think it's one of those annoying SH3 bugs could try a factory reset, it can't be a bug in all firmware as it works fine on mine and others.

Strange one
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-02-2016, 22:52   #17
nator
Inactive

nator is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll try that later. Hopefully a better firmware will be issued soon as there is a lot of work needed on this setup.. I might consider putting the hub into modem mode and get my own router otherwise..
nator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 23:13   #18
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

I hope so too, ours is throwing a wobbler tonight, ram VM and they dunno what's wrong with it so they're sending a tech out.

Wonder if they'll replace it with another SH3 or a SH2AC?....
Old 04-02-2016, 08:23   #19
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
The software for this device is absolute garbage. This thing was released in 2014 in its DOCSIS form and the EuroDOCSIS revision shouldn't have involved anything different on the router side.

There is no excuse at all for the state of this software, I wouldn't even call it in beta, or for releasing it in this condition.

Paying customers shouldn't unwittingly be alpha testing CPE.
Hang on a minute Carl, we are talking about Virgin Media here.

Would you expect anything less than incompetence?
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 17:53   #20
MUD_Wizard
Inactive

MUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Hang on a minute Carl, we are talking about Virgin Media here.

Would you expect anything less than incompetence?
I have a lot more confidence in Arris than in VM setting it up right. Most likely it's config issues with VM's setup and how they want to do it (note: some users can port-forward fine).

Over in Ireland they use the TC7200 made by Technicolor and they have similar problems with port-forwarding.

They've offered to turn off DS-Lite for some users who request it, which has fixed their problems.

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057282895/9

Now VM here may have a different setup (they don't seem to use DS-lite ; there are many options for IPv4 that don't use it), but I'm suspicious when I see similar issues arise across regions by the same company.
MUD_Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 21:10   #21
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

I wondered what DS-Lite is and ended up a Nintendo universe For those who are interested - DS-Lite:

(By Mro - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/inde...curid=10552874)
Old 08-02-2016, 12:56   #22
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
I wondered what DS-Lite is and ended up a Nintendo universe For those who are interested - DS-Lite:

(By Mro - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/inde...curid=10552874)
The plain-english version of this: DS-lite is a way to allocate IPv4 (private) addresses to an IPv6 network. Then somewhere inside the ISP, that IPv6 traffic gets turned into IPv4 traffic again.

So to the user, they have a regular IPv4 address (starting 192.168.x.x), however their Hub's external address is IPv6, that goes to the ISP who converts it back to IPv4 (except this time a valid external address like 80.67.212.111) that's (likely) shared amongst users.

Info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6_t..._.28DS-Lite.29
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 18:36   #23
nator
Inactive

As an update, I called VM technical help today as the issue is still ongoing.

I spoke to technical help, where a very frustrated employee told me he was aware that this was an issue and that the new Hub 3.0 needed a new firmware. He said that this was being worked on, but that he could not tell me if it would be a matter of days, weeks or months until this is released. I asked for an older hub model, and he informed me that the system would only allow him to send another Hub 3 out. There were no escalation routes other than sending an email to customer support.

I almost felt sorry for the employee, but this is atrocious from VM. Really not happy with my experience so far at all.
Old 27-02-2016, 18:45   #24
MUD_Wizard
Inactive

MUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nator View Post
As an update, I called VM technical help today as the issue is still ongoing.

I spoke to technical help, where a very frustrated employee told me he was aware that this was an issue and that the new Hub 3.0 needed a new firmware. He said that this was being worked on, but that he could not tell me if it would be a matter of days, weeks or months until this is released.
I believe it's resolved in 9.1.88S onwards (we're now on 9.1.88T) on the trial.
You probably have 9.1.88J5. Let me check on the specifics..

Before I do, you do have the firewall turned on do you? That's what does the port-forwarding.

Quote:
I asked for an older hub model, and he informed me that the system would only allow him to send another Hub 3 out. There were no escalation routes other than sending an email to customer support.
Not true. Just pop on the community forum at community.virginmedia.com, explain the situation in a thread and one of the Forum Team will send you a SH2ac. This is common practice now. It will take a few days for the Forum Team to respond though, so be patient.
Old 29-02-2016, 09:03   #25
Synthetic
cf.geek

Yep us non-trialists are still on J5
Old 12-03-2016, 13:39   #26
nator
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUD_Wizard View Post
I believe it's resolved in 9.1.88S onwards (we're now on 9.1.88T) on the trial.
You probably have 9.1.88J5. Let me check on the specifics..

Before I do, you do have the firewall turned on do you? That's what does the port-forwarding.

Not true. Just pop on the community forum at community.virginmedia.com, explain the situation in a thread and one of the Forum Team will send you a SH2ac. This is common practice now. It will take a few days for the Forum Team to respond though, so be patient.
Thanks for your reply. Yes, firewall is turned on. I even turned it off, rebooted, turned it back on and rebooted for good measure...

Well, after my complaint someobdy eventually called me and sent me out a Superhub 2, which is now up and running. The firmware is way better and much more userfriendly, but I now have to deal with the fact that my ports still do not appear to be open...

---------- Post added at 13:39 ---------- Previous post was at 13:17 ----------

So here we go again..

- Superhub 2.
- Have set firewall to high.
- Have set up a DHCP reservation for my laptop.
- Have set up a new port forwarding rule, TCP/UDP, pointing to correct IP address, set the same port number as starting and ending range, enabled it and applied it and rebooted.
- Have fired up the relevant program.
- Portchecking sites say the port is closed.

Not sure where I am going wrong here..
Old 13-03-2016, 00:10   #27
MUD_Wizard
Inactive

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. Yes, firewall is turned on. I even turned it off, rebooted, turned it back on and rebooted for good measure...

Well, after my complaint someobdy eventually called me and sent me out a Superhub 2, which is now up and running. The firmware is way better and much more userfriendly, but I now have to deal with the fact that my ports still do not appear to be open...

---------- Post added at 13:39 ---------- Previous post was at 13:17 ----------

So here we go again..

- Superhub 2.
- Have set up a DHCP reservation for my laptop.
- Have set up a new port forwarding rule, TCP/UDP, pointing to correct IP address, set the same port number as starting and ending range, enabled it and applied it and rebooted.
- Have fired up the relevant program.
- Portchecking sites say the port is closed.

Try it in modem mode. If you can't get it working in modem mode it's not the hub settings that are wrong:
https://help.virginmedia.com/system/...MER_TYPE=Cable

READ all the instructions carefully before entering modem mode, so you know how to get back out again.
Old 13-03-2016, 15:46   #28
nator
Inactive

Quote:
Try it in modem mode. If you can't get it working in modem mode it's not the hub settings that are wrong:
https://help.virginmedia.com/system/...MER_TYPE=Cable

READ all the instructions carefully before entering modem mode, so you know how to get back out again.
Thanks, I will give it a go but am slowly losing patience. Spent hours on the phone to various VM people to be told that "it is a problem with the software" and "everything is working fine", even though I showed them that all port checkers were reporting the port as closed..
Old 13-03-2016, 20:27   #29
MUD_Wizard
Inactive

Quote:

Having another look at your list, I think this may be where you're going wrong. I always have firewall set to low.
Old 14-03-2016, 19:20   #30
nator
Inactive

Quote:
Having another look at your list, I think this may be where you're going wrong. I always have firewall set to low.
Oh, I've tried switching it off altogether, it makes no difference.