Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky Sports for free?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Sky Sports for free?

Old 16-01-2017, 19:27   #31
gus0898uk
cf.addict

gus0898uk will become famous soon enoughgus0898uk will become famous soon enoughgus0898uk will become famous soon enough
Re: Sky Sports for free?

I just received the email this evening but it is still greyed out even in SD, I will switch off and reboot and see if this does the trick.
I wonder if the powers that be can see from my Tivo box that I watch Sky Sports News a lot. Also about a year ago I had SS for 30 days over Christmas and New Year.
Anyway Thanks, I just hope this is a free lunch full stop.
gus0898uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-01-2017, 19:33   #32
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus0898uk View Post
I just received the email this evening but it is still greyed out even in SD,
Give Faults a call.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 21:18   #33
wrlfc
cf.member

wrlfc is an unknown quantity at this point

Received the email today, Sky sports free for six weeks. Only in SD.
Won't be subscribing through.
wrlfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 22:09   #34
mhatter67

Services: Big Kahuna, Phone XL, Boxnation

Got the email today and Watching SKY sports, quick questions what was the criteria of choosing certain customers for this promotion?
Old 16-01-2017, 22:14   #35
therock247uk
MVP

therock247uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Any official word from Virgin yet? No Sky here on the HD XL package and been a customer since the old NTL days.
therock247uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 23:19   #36
gus0898uk
cf.addict

gus0898uk will become famous soon enoughgus0898uk will become famous soon enoughgus0898uk will become famous soon enough

spider
Thanks for the heads up, I am still greyed out, if no SS in the morning I will ring faults.
gus0898uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 00:19   #37
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

I'm gobsmacked by this offer from Virgin, really am, so in effect people like me and thousands of others who pay through the nose for the sports pack, are basically subsidising others who don't have it, and Virgin are dressing this up as a sweetener to entice new customers into taking the Sky sports pack, unbelievable!
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 07:34   #38
andrewbrown
cf.addict

Services: TiVO, V+, XL TV, L Broadband and Superhub, M Phone
andrewbrown is a name known to allandrewbrown is a name known to allandrewbrown is a name known to allandrewbrown is a name known to allandrewbrown is a name known to allandrewbrown is a name known to allandrewbrown is a name known to allandrewbrown is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I'm gobsmacked by this offer from Virgin, really am, so in effect people like me and thousands of others who pay through the nose for the sports pack, are basically subsidising others who don't have it, and Virgin are dressing this up as a sweetener to entice new customers into taking the Sky sports pack, unbelievable!
How do you know it's not a Sky offer?
andrewbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 08:33   #39
mhatter67

Services: Big Kahuna, Phone XL, Boxnation

Quote:
For the record I had SKY for years with VM before I dropped it because of cost. I recently had multiple offers from Now TV for their sports pack so I think it is completely a marketing drive from SKY themselves through VM!

I suppose they are giving this offer to customers who are on the highest bundle that does not include SKY Sports!
Old 17-01-2017, 08:37   #40
mike_gain
Inactive

mike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
If it's any consolation, I'm unlikely to make use of this offer. For example me and my boys will be taking in some delightful Scottish Cup action this weekend, watching Stenhousemuir get pumped at McDiarmid.

But whoever has been the brains behind this offer (let's be honest it'll be Sky) really should have thought about their existing customers as well. They are maybe relying a bit too much on people retaining Sky Sports without stopping to think about it.

---------- Post added at 08:37 ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhatter67 View Post
I suppose they are giving this offer to customers who are on the highest bundle that does not include SKY Sports!
Not sure it's that, I'm only on the Mix bundle. But I have subscribed to Sky Sports in the past (we're talking about maybe 4 years or so ago) so perhaps this is a drive to win back previous subscribers.
mike_gain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 11:41   #41
bennyhill
cf.lurker

Services: Tivo (1Tb), blah, blah, blah...
bennyhill is a jewel in the roughbennyhill is a jewel in the roughbennyhill is a jewel in the roughbennyhill is a jewel in the roughbennyhill is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus0898uk View Post
I just received the email this evening but it is still greyed out even in SD, I will switch off and reboot and see if this does the trick.
Mine was greyed out too, so I did this (from VM Help site: Missing Channels)...

Press Home on your remote
Select Help & Settings
Select Help
Select TV Care from the top bar
Select Missing channels
Select Refresh my channel list to check for missing channels, and to get your TiVo box automatically updated if they are missing.

...and they showed up.
bennyhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 11:57   #42
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Interesting read

https://www.bloomberg.com/gadfly/art...its-grip-on-tv
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 14:27   #43
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 16:27   #44
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Indeed it is, if anybody thinks I am going to pay thirty odd quid a month plus the HD charge for sky sports they are barking, sky sports is simply pricing itself out of the market on VM at around £450 a year just for the sport including HD.
Old 18-01-2017, 17:18   #45
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1960 View Post
Indeed it is, if anybody thinks I am going to pay thirty odd quid a month plus the HD charge for sky sports they are barking, sky sports is simply pricing itself out of the market on VM at around £450 a year just for the sport including HD.
According to Denphone its got plenty of scope to increase.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote