Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Will you buy The Sun on Sunday?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Will you buy The Sun on Sunday?
View Poll Results: Will you buy The Sun on Sunday?
Yes 16 13.33%
No 95 79.17%
Occasionally 6 5.00%
Unsure 3 2.50%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22-02-2012, 10:56   #61
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Will you buy The Sun on Sunday?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
I fear we're only a posting away from invoking Godwin's law.

Anybody know how much they want for the Sun on Sunday? NOTW was only a quid.
It would not surprise me if Murdoch enters into a price war with other sunday newspapers and sells it for a vastly reduced price to start off with.
Old 22-02-2012, 10:57   #62
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

Quote:
I fear we're only a posting away from invoking Godwin's law.

Anybody know how much they want for the Sun on Sunday? NOTW was only a quid.
I hope its considerably less then the Andrex i buy now.
Old 22-02-2012, 11:27   #63
Julian
Oh When The Saints!!

Julian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny star
Julian has a nice shiny star

Quote:
If the SOS makes profilts like the NOTW he can afford to even without making it a loss leader.

Story July 2011

I thought a pound for a Sunday paper with a glossy was good value even if half of it was trash.
The £150m figure is a sales figure not a profit figure.

It will almost certainly be £1 after early promotions as this will match the Mirror, People & Star.
Old 22-02-2012, 12:54   #64
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

No point buying newspapers, when you can get current news from the internet for free.
SnoopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 14:04   #65
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
No point buying newspapers, when you can get current news from the internet for free.
Newspapers are better at providing analysis and context to news stories. News itself can often be useless with it.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 14:16   #66
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_ View Post
As I said a few times if it was your home town you would or should feel the same.
But there has to be a cut off point. You are offended about an article written 23 years ago about something that happened 23 years ago. How much further are you willing to go? Back to the 60s? Back to the 40s? Further? I'm fairly sure a few passengers and crew on the Titanic were scousers. If the Sun (or any rag) had published a similar story about them, would Liverpool still boycott it?

Hillsborough was probably the worst disaster to hit modern English football, and it is worth noting that the enquiry at the time laid the bulk of the blame with the Police, and how they managed the crowds. I would hope that they have learned something from that. They have, if some of the conferences I have provided tech support for are anything to go by (we have a professor at work who is an acknowledged expert on evacuation and holds regular lectures and conferences on the subject)

I am not defending The Sun at all (they have done many bad things, and this Levenson enquiry just seems to be digging up more), but I would hope that had the same thing happened in my home town, I would not still be spewing hate 23 years afterward. I don't think it's healthy to hold hate for that long. For a person, or a community.

---------- Post added at 13:16 ---------- Previous post was at 13:08 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Depends where you get the news from. If you get it from the site of a good quality news paper (The Times, Telegraph, Guardian etc), the site of a TV channel (BBC, ITV, CNN etc) or a service like Reuters you can at least be sure that the author has done some research on the story (how much is sometimes questionable) and should be able to provide background etc. They should (ideally) keep the story free of political bias, but, TBH, I don't know of any news service that does that 100% of the time.

If you are getting your news from a random website or someone's blog, then you don't know how well they have researched something (if at all), or how much they know about it.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 14:44   #67
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
I fear we're only a posting away from invoking Godwin's law. .
ok, I'll bite ...

Stan Boardman on Germans
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 14:58   #68
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
ok, I'll bite ...

Stan Boardman on Germans

I nearly did. Hence the quick rephrasing of my post to use the Titanic as an example..
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 15:05   #69
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

It's a gutter paper anyway, so even if they hadn't printed those lies all those years ago, I still wouldn't buy it.

Kelvin McKenzie (I know he no longer works for them) has consistently refused to offer a sincere apology for the lies that were printed.

Just google him - cleanse yourself afterwards though!
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 16:13   #70
Horace
©Beam Software

Services: BB (200mbit), 1x V6, iPad, iPhone
Horace has disabled reputation

I no longer buy newspapers and have avoided directly paying for News Corps part or fully owned products since I was old enough to make those decisions including SKY. It would be nice to hear the views of the people who do buy their products and who used to buy the NOTW since I suspect those are the people this poll is really aimed at.

"We live in age of mass media where everything, everyday, is frenzied and hysterical and we don't have problems, we have crises."
- Ken Clarke.
Horace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 09:55   #71
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
That's not the same at all. That would be like holding the entire pit villages the thugs came from permanently responsible for what went on.

Kelvin MacKenzie no longer works for News International. He hasn't worked for them for years. There is next-to-nobody anywhere at the Sun today who was there when the Hillsborough story was printed. There is absolutely nobody anywhere on the news floor that had anything to do with it.

A boycott is normally supposed to achieve some aim. People boycott Nestle because they believe economic pressure might influence its marketing of infant formula milk in third world countries. Boycotting the Sun in Liverpool seems to serve no purpose. What could the aim be? To get someone sacked? They've all gone anyway - some of them have retired, it was that long ago. To extract an apology? The paper has done so, fully and unequivocally.

The only reason I can see for all this venom is that hating the Sun has become part of the definition of a scouser. Just as you're not a true cockney unless you were born within earshot of Bow Bells, you're not a true Scouser unless you remind anyone who will listen, at every opportunity, about a horrible thing the Sun printed 20-plus years ago. And when a community defines itself by the things it hates, it's in a very sorry condition indeed.
Kelvin MacKenzie has been a columnist for The Sun for almost 6 years now and there still many people from the 1980s Sun era that still work for News Corp.

The Sun (along with News Corp) has never changed unless it is in its own terms and that same would apply after the scandal dies down!

What you have got to understand is that if you are a Liverpool supporter and you see the deaths of almost 100 of your fellow fans (not long after Heysel) and then you hear lies in the national press about them and other Liverpool FC fans. That would make you very angry!
Alan Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 09:58   #72
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

Kelvin McKenzie does a weekly column in my paper the Daily Mail every saturday.
Old 23-02-2012, 12:04   #73
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

The sun showed how shallow it was when it went from tories to labour prior to when blair got elected, and again changed its colours prior to cameron been elected.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 13:12   #74
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
The sun showed how shallow it was when it went from tories to labour prior to when blair got elected, and again changed its colours prior to cameron been elected.
Murdoch backs only people who a a benifit for him and News Corp!
Alan Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 13:38   #75
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Fry View Post
Murdoch backs only people who a a benifit for him and News Corp!
Well thats as obvious as night turns to day Alan.