Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Operation Yewtree

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Operation Yewtree

Old 04-10-2012, 09:43   #151
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
re: Operation Yewtree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
Does it matter if he's guilty though?
He isn't, though, is he? Otherwise we wouldn't be talking about rumours and whether Richard should go to the police. We'd be talking about his jail sentence and whether he'd be safer locked up away from the rest of the inmates.

No conviction = not guilty. Simples.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-10-2012, 09:46   #152
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
No, there's people who know far more about it than I do and it's pointless anyway. The police didn't do anything about the first one due to lack of evidence and will just say that they don't act on rumours.
If it's just a rumour for which you have no evidence and it doesn't warrant going to the police then maybe it's better not to broadcast the rumour on the internet?
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:46   #153
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

As he is now dead & and beyond the law, If anything had happen, perhaps it would serve the community better if any investigation was focused on the I knew but did nothing brigade. Just a thought .
Old 04-10-2012, 10:07   #154
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
He isn't, though, is he? Otherwise we wouldn't be talking about rumours and whether Richard should go to the police. We'd be talking about his jail sentence and whether he'd be safer locked up away from the rest of the inmates.
Could it be the case that he's not guilty only because he hasn't been caught yet.

Quote:
If only.
I'm sure there's plenty of guilty people out there who think the same.

What I'm saying is. I really don't follow your way of thinking of guilty people are innocent, because they haven't been arrested and tried yet.

you make it sound like fact.

If you witnessed an assault. is the accused automatically guilty?
or are they innocent because they haven't been through the legal process yet?

---------- Post added at 09:07 ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
If the BBC and it's management was complicit in this abuse, what other celebrities was it covering up for?
I'm certain that if all this about Saville is true, then there are other celebrities involved.
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:21   #155
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
What I'm saying is. I really don't follow your way of thinking of guilty people are innocent, because they haven't been arrested and tried yet.

you make it sound like fact.

If you witnessed an assault. is the accused automatically guilty?
or are they innocent because they haven't been through the legal process?
You don't follow, because you haven't latched on to the single most important fact in this context - you and I are not having a private conversation here, we are posting words on a public forum, and there are laws protecting people's reputations against what might be written about them.

You can think whatever you like about someone's guilt or innocence provided what you think does not cause that person's legal rights to be infringed.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:26   #156
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Quote:
You don't follow, because you haven't latched on to the single most important fact in this context - you and I are not having a private conversation here, we are posting words on a public forum, and there are laws protecting people's reputations against what might be written about them.

You can think whatever you like about someone's guilt or innocence provided what you think does not cause that person's legal rights to be infringed.
Ok. now I understand your thinking.

so do you think Saville is guilty?
Old 04-10-2012, 10:31   #157
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:

The thing is, there is the concept of Guilty and the legally defined concept of Guilty. The legally defined concept of Guilty requires evidence. In life, people can be guilty without fulfilling the legal definition of being guilty.

Let me give an example of that. A few years ago, my mother served on a jury trying a local drug dealer. He was only a small time dealer, but the evidence presented was apparently convincing. The police had, however, handled some of the evidence incorrectly (I don't know the ins and outs of it), so that evidence was inadmissable.

The judge made a point (in his summing up) of telling the defendant that he believed the defendant was guilty but was unable to find him guilty because of the way the Police had mishandled the evidence, and chastised the Police.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:51   #158
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Ok. now I understand your thinking.

so do you think Saville is guilty?
Based on what I've read over the past couple of days, I believe what's being said about him.

---------- Post added at 09:51 ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
The thing is, there is the concept of Guilty and the legally defined concept of Guilty. The legally defined concept of Guilty requires evidence. In life, people can be guilty without fulfilling the legal definition of being guilty.

Let me give an example of that. A few years ago, my mother served on a jury trying a local drug dealer. He was only a small time dealer, but the evidence presented was apparently convincing. The police had, however, handled some of the evidence incorrectly (I don't know the ins and outs of it), so that evidence was inadmissable.

The judge made a point (in his summing up) of telling the defendant that he believed the defendant was guilty but was unable to find him guilty because of the way the Police had mishandled the evidence, and chastised the Police.
Very true, but as I posted above, it pays to keep that distinction in mind when you are discussing someone's alleged guilt in a public space. There are only a very few public spaces where anybody has the right to allege someone's guilt without fear of recourse, and a judge speaking from the bench is one of them (also, a news reporter quoting him, with certain limitations).
Old 04-10-2012, 10:56   #159
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:

Very true, but as I posted above, it pays to keep that distinction in mind when you are discussing someone's alleged guilt in a public space. There are only a very few public spaces where anybody has the right to allege someone's guilt without fear of recourse, and a judge speaking from the bench is one of them (also, a news reporter quoting him, with certain limitations).
This is it. Gary just asked the wrong question. Instead of asking 'is he guilty?' he should have asked 'do you think he did it?'.
Old 04-10-2012, 13:36   #160
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Jimmy Savile, do you think he did it?

After days of allegations and last night documentary it would be interesting to see how people are learning.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 13:40   #161
mark1234
Inactive

Services: Virgin TV XL, Broadband XL (60), Phone XL, Windows 7 Media Centre
mark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to all
Re: Jimmy Savile, do you think he did it?

It'd be good to hear both sides of the story before deciding, but that can never happen now.
mark1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 13:56   #162
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

In my opinion, there's too many people coming out with stories and allegations that are so similar that it can't be a coincidence. There's also so much that has been said (or reported to have been said) and written by Savile which points towards it being true

I suppose we'll never know absolutely certain, but I have very little doubt that the allegations are true. To me, the real question isn't if the allegations are true, but rather what the scale of the abuse was.
Old 04-10-2012, 13:59   #163
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

I find the fact that this thread has a poll on whether Sir Jimmy Saville is guilty or not, to be both totally irrelevant and in poor taste.
Old 04-10-2012, 14:35   #164
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I find the fact that this thread has a poll on whether Sir Jimmy Saville is guilty or not, to be both totally irrelevant and in poor taste.
VERY poor taste
Old 04-10-2012, 15:51   #165
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Is the inverstigation poor taste?
Is the victims accounts poor taste?
Is the 'documentary' poor taste?
Is what he is alleged to have done, poor taste?

If more than one of the above is a yes, then is it because he is dead?