Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Youtube issues. Is this still a thing?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Youtube issues. Is this still a thing?

Old 14-09-2016, 12:52   #1
Daz555
Inactive

Daz555 is an unknown quantity at this point
Youtube issues. Is this still a thing?

A year or so ago (slightly longer?) VM got themselves in a load of trouble with a load of issues with Youtube playback for its customers - something to do with their caching of Youtube videos if I recall correctly.

I have noticed of late that my Youtube videos are not loading as quickly as before and yes horror of horrors the buffering has returned. Did VM ever really resolve the caching issue?

As a test I always try a Youtube proxy...and yes of course the videos load several times faster and never buffer - ever.
Daz555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-09-2016, 14:17   #2
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Re: Youtube issues. Is this still a thing?

Not noticed any issues personally, but it was somewhat hit and miss previously as well. Been streaming 1080p content quite a bit lately and I haven't had buffering troubles at all.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2016, 01:34   #3
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

I have experienced a lot of YouTube buffering etc - on 200 Mb/s VM business service with 5 fixed IP.
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2016, 13:58   #4
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Youtube performance has been intermittently poor here over the past couple of weeks after 6pm and much of the day during the weekends. The unis and colleges are still out on summer break though so the students will be at home hammering the residential broadband networks instead of their campus
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2016, 15:56   #5
trickytree
cf.addict

Services: VVIP500
trickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about them

This has been mentioned elsewhere in the past few days so I think it is fair to say there are enough people experiencing this to think there may be an issue.
I am one of them that has also experienced this.
trickytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2016, 16:32   #6
Gobble
cf.addict

Services: Gig1 SH4-AX86U, Stream
Gobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really nice

yep, I'm in that camp. Mentioned it in a post on the forum as well, but they don't seem to be getting enough traction - instead being dotted about. Need to get a bit of a master thread going and enough of us posting in it for anyone to notice it
Gobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2016, 17:13   #7
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

Noticed it too on the 300 Homeworks, stuff loads faster on 4G than it does over my 300 Meg Virgin connection....
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2016, 21:45   #8
vm_tech
cf.addict

vm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarmock View Post
I have experienced a lot of YouTube buffering etc - on 200 Mb/s VM business service with 5 fixed IP.
You can't get 200mb with 5 static IPs at the moment?
vm_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 00:13   #9
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I have noticed it go down hill big time over the last 2 weeks. Any video I try to play takes about 20 seconds to buffer before it plays and that is any time of day any day of the week.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 00:34   #10
martkt10
cf.member

martkt10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I have noticed it go down hill big time over the last 2 weeks. Any video I try to play takes about 20 seconds to buffer before it plays and that is any time of day any day of the week.
Same here to, but if i use a vpn it fixes it
martkt10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2016, 01:53   #11
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by vm_tech View Post
You can't get 200mb with 5 static IPs at the moment?
Part of a pilot group (not under NDA)
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 21:46   #12
matt-h
Inactive

Services: SkyHD , VM BB 60Mb
matt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant future

Not been around here for ages but just wanted to say I've also been getting the return of buffering on YouTube videos again..

Everything else seems fine and like others it's been happening for about 3-5 weeks now and seems to be getting ignored by VM again despite plenty of threads scattered about the community forum about this..

Not time or connection type dependant and goes away if I use a different connection such as my folks non VM one.
matt-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 22:01   #13
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

No youtube issues here in Swansea.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 09:31   #14
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Still not seeing any issues here, but I wasn't really affected last time either. Disappointed in Virgin
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 09:34   #15
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

the buffering problems I have been experiencing over the last 2 weeks have cleared up this week and everything is back normal. Every HD video starting playing immediately.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote