Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UK Show Recommendations

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television

UK Show Recommendations

Old 31-07-2016, 22:08   #1
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
UK Show Recommendations

It's been a long time since I've watched normal tv on a day-to-day basis as the quality on the main channels is so bad now. Unfortunately when there are gems amongst the dross I tend to miss them, so I need the forum's help in identifying the wheat from the chaff.

I've seen very little British drama over the last 10-15 years and pretty much no comedy. Apart from the list below, which I have seen/am watching, can you recommend for me anything you think is worth a try and why? Any genre is fine and preferably in HD but no soaps and only drama or comedy.

What I've seen:

Merlin - all of it.
Humans - 1st series
The Musketeers - 1st series
In The Flesh
Ashes to Ashes
Line Of Duty - 1st series
Outcast
Survivors (2008 version)
Dr Who & Torchwood
Atlantis - awful
The Honourable Woman
Wolf Hall - just watched the 1st series of this.

That's about it, thanks!

Last edited by Horizon; 31-07-2016 at 22:59.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-08-2016, 20:02   #2
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
Re: UK Show Recommendations

The Tunnel - Season 1 and 2 thus far. A very well made British and French production. Sky Atlantic and On demand.

Sherlock surely? Absolutely quality cast and quality production. Unmissable IMO.

Not British but based on the British equivalent. US Congress drama - House of Cards is excellent.

Probably being a bit younger these comedies may seem a bit off.

Ideal - Old BBC3 show
The Inbetweeners 3 seasons channel 4
Gavin and Stacey, BBC 3 seasons

Not strictly a series but a two parter Terry Pratchett called Going Postal. Sky 1 a decent time ago.

About all I can think of from the top of my head.

Oh and this is England series is a particularly good series. Pretty graphic at times and deals with some extremely disturbing stuff but is done very well. Unfortunately the series is a direct sequel to the movie with the same title. So one would miss the entire origin story by diving in.

Last edited by adzii_nufc; 01-08-2016 at 20:07.
adzii_nufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 20:53   #3
Horizon
Media Watcher

Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Not heard of The Tunnel, Ideal, Going Postal or This is England, so thanks for those.

Will pass on Gavin and Stacey, saw a trailer for it once and that was enough, but will check out the other two.

House of Cards is already on my viewing list, thanks for that one. Surprisingly, I forgot all about Sherlock so now that I've finished Wolf Hall, that'll be next.

The suggestions don't just have to be series', they can be one off dramas, or two parters etc. After Sherlock, Going Postal will be next.

Thanks!

Last edited by Horizon; 01-08-2016 at 20:58.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:30   #4
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzii_nufc View Post
The Tunnel - Season 1 and 2 thus far. A very well made British and French production. Sky Atlantic and On demand.

Sherlock surely? Absolutely quality cast and quality production. Unmissable IMO.

Not British but based on the British equivalent. US Congress drama - House of Cards is excellent.

Probably being a bit younger these comedies may seem a bit off.

Ideal - Old BBC3 show
The Inbetweeners 3 seasons channel 4
Gavin and Stacey, BBC 3 seasons

Not strictly a series but a two parter Terry Pratchett called Going Postal. Sky 1 a decent time ago.

About all I can think of from the top of my head.

Oh and this is England series is a particularly good series. Pretty graphic at times and deals with some extremely disturbing stuff but is done very well. Unfortunately the series is a direct sequel to the movie with the same title. So one would miss the entire origin story by diving in.
Yes the first three you mention are excellent series but not sure about the others though.
Old 02-08-2016, 14:34   #5
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

It's not a series, and it's a drama based on actual events, but the BBC did a good job of covering "Honour Killing" with the show "Murdered By My Father". http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...d-by-my-father
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 22:21   #6
Horizon
Media Watcher

..... thanks for that, never heard of it and now added to my list.
Old 02-08-2016, 22:26   #7
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Yes the first three you mention are excellent series but not sure about the others though.
Comedies I find can vary on your age. Doesn't apply to everyone of course but I can't find myself watching some of the oldies.

The other two are enjoyable for all though, especially the Terry Pratchett.

Also finding the Americans are putting out increasingly good productions lately.
Old 19-12-2016, 23:45   #8
ThunderPants73
cf.mega poster

Services: BB & PHONE
ThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond repute

The Missing
Line of Duty (season 2 was amazing)
Luther
Happy Valley
Forgotten
River
ThunderPants73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 04:19   #9
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
What I've seen:

Humans - 1st series
The Musketeers - 1st series
Humans Series 2 has just finished, make sure you see that.

There have also been more series of the Musketeers, the second one was "ok", I have not seen the last series.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 07:12   #10
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzii_nufc View Post
Comedies I find can vary on your age. Doesn't apply to everyone of course but I can't find myself watching some of the oldies.

The other two are enjoyable for all though, especially the Terry Pratchett.

Also finding the Americans are putting out increasingly good productions lately.
Well being a bit older myself l still find myself drawn to the old comedy classics and as of Terry Pratchett he was a genius who is no longer with us sadly.