Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2012) Vol. 2.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2012) Vol. 2.
Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 19:15   #31
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2012) Vol. 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Yes l agree most of these other channels are useless but l suspect Virgin got them quite cheaply when they signed the carriage agreements.
Yeah probably. I'd imagine there is a lot of channels that fall into that category. Wonder if Virgin will renew the deals if and when the current contracts run out?

Upon closer inspection of the channel list, I'm astonished at how many channels I get that I don't ever watch. I'm all for choice and content but I want quality not quantity. The below channels don't ever get viewed in my house:

BBC Parliament
Best Direct
BID TV
Bloomberg
Boomerang
Boomerang + 1
Cartoon Network
Cartoon Network Too
Cartoonito
CBBC
CBeebies
Challenge + 1
CITV
CNBC
CNN International
Community Channel
Current TV
Disney Channel
Disney Channel + 1
Disney Junior
Disney XD
Disney XD + 1
DMAX
Eden + 1
Euronews
Extreme Sports
Film4 + 1
5 USA + 1
5* + 1
Gems TV
GOLD + 1
Home
Home + 1
Home & Health
Horror Channel
Ideal World
Jewellery Maker
Liverpool TV
Motors TV
Movies 24
Movies 24 + 1
National Geographic +1
NDTV
Nick Junior
Nick Jnr 2
Nick Replay
Nickelodeon
NickToons TV
Pick TV
Price-Drop TV
QVC
Sky LIVING +1
Sky LIVINGit +1
Speed Auction TV
Syfy +1
The Box
Tiny Pop
Travel & Living
True Entertainment
True Movies 1
TV5
Universal Channel +1
Watch + 1
Yesterday +1

That's 65 channels, more than a third of my current package, that I never watch. I couldn't even tell you what programmes air on some of these channels. If Virgin asked me would I be happy to lose these channels and in return they would deliver all the non-SKY missing HD channels, SKY Atlantic, Premier Sports and more On Demand content I'd bite their hands off.

I'd imagine most XL customers could identify between 30 to 50 channels they could live without.
Advertisement
Old 02-04-2012, 19:21   #32
mhatter67

Services: Big Kahuna, Phone XL, Boxnation
Question Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2012) Vol. 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Yes l agree most of these other channels are useless but l suspect Virgin got them quite cheaply when they signed the carriage agreements.
For once I have to disagree, TiVo through wish lists has introduced me to old hammer horror classics and some really bad but good films on the Horror Channel!

Back to the question of XL subs I never understand why it seems the VM have to pay for channels to come on their platform and SKY get paid to put the same channels on their own platform, is it down simply to the potential numbers of viewers

Old 02-04-2012, 19:23   #33
toady
cf.geek

Services: A mix of XXL and XL
toady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud of

Chad there would be uproar in our house if we lost the Kids channels
Old 02-04-2012, 19:25   #34
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by toady View Post
Couldnt agree more Disney Cinemagic HD , Nickelodeon HD , Disney HD and Disney XD HD are the main channels on in our house until evening
Old 02-04-2012, 19:28   #35
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by toady View Post
My opinion on the kids channels would change if the Mrs. and I have kids. Even keeping the kids channels would still leave me with over 50 channels I don't watch.

It will never happen but I would love a TV service where I can pick and pay for the exact channels I want to watch. Your Freeview channels would be free then every channel you add thereafter costs around 30p per month.
Old 02-04-2012, 19:30   #36
LexDiamond
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD, Sky Unlimited BB and Sky landline
LexDiamond has reached the bronze age
LexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlayzell View Post
For once I have to disagree, TiVo through wish lists has introduced me to old hammer horror classics and some really bad but good films on the Horror Channel!

Back to the question of XL subs I never understand why it seems the VM have to pay for channels to come on their platform and SKY get paid to put the same channels on their own platform, is it down simply to the potential numbers of viewers
Sky have to pay the channels!
Old 02-04-2012, 19:38   #37
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Back to the question of XL subs I never understand why it seems the VM have to pay for channels to come on their platform and SKY get paid to put the same channels on their own platform...
Sorry but that is not quite accurate.

Anyone can launch a channel on the same satellite that Sky rents from Astra for its UK service. However, they have to pay Sky for the convenience of being their EPG and also - if they don't want to be FTA - to use Sky's encryption services.

With cable being a closed system, channels do have to pay VM to be included in their TV service.

The only bit I don't know is, as with other posts in this thread, what criteria decides which "pack" the channel goes into.

I also agree with Chad's point about the number of channels I don't watch but for which I have to pay because of the couple of channels I do want that are only available in the XL pack. But I don't suppose there's anything anyone can do about it. So that's that
Old 02-04-2012, 19:41   #38
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
My opinion on the kids channels would change if the Mrs. and I have kids. Even keeping the kids channels would still leave me with over 50 channels I don't watch.

It will never happen but I would love a TV service where I can pick and pay for the exact channels I want to watch. Your Freeview channels would be free then every channel you add thereafter costs around 30p per month.
I could identify at least 40 channels that we never watch. I to like your idea , but, as you say it will never happen.
Old 02-04-2012, 19:44   #39
Henkesghost
Sceptic

Henkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronze
Henkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronze

Quote:
It's something I've always been curious about too but something we will probably never learn. Comedy Central + 1 and ESPN are both only in the XL package. Surely both channels don't get an equal slice of the XL pie? I'd imagine viewing figures must play part in who gets what also. Actually when looking through the XL package, there are some channels that are XL only that I wouldn't mind seeing go...... if it freed up money to land other channels such as SKY Atlantic or Premier Sports. For me the likes of The Horror Channel, Liverpool TV, Motors TV, Current TV, Travel & Living plus TV5 can all go. I've never watched any of those channels.
Dont you ever get rid of the Horror Channel Love it
Old 02-04-2012, 19:48   #40
Chad
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkesghost View Post
Dont you ever get rid of the Horror Channel Love it

Not quite horror but I would like to see the return of is Most Haunted. Loved the programme, especially their 2 and 3 night live specials. I don't care if people say it was all fake, I found it intriguing and entertaining. SKY finally released the rights to the show about 6 months ago but Yvette and Karl haven't found a new broadcaster
Old 02-04-2012, 21:04   #41
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
That's 65 channels, more than a third of my current package, that I never watch. I couldn't even tell you what programmes air on some of these channels. If Virgin asked me would I be happy to lose these channels and in return they would deliver all the non-SKY missing HD channels, SKY Atlantic, Premier Sports and more On Demand content I'd bite their hands off.

I'd imagine most XL customers could identify between 30 to 50 channels they could live without.
If you went to Sky, you'd get about 450 channels that you never watch!

Seriously, it makes economic sense to do it this way. If you have a family, there needs to be something for everyone. Also, if you want to get only the channels that you tend to watch, you will have to pay more for those channels otherwise everyone will get less choice. So you wouldn't end up any better off if they did it your way, you'd just pay as much for less.
Old 02-04-2012, 21:11   #42
gaz2810i
Inactive

Services: Panasonic 55VT30, Pioneer VSX-LX53, BDP-LX54, Virgin TiVo 1tb (VIP), Toshiba HD-EX1, VM 50gb BB, PS3
gaz2810i will become famous soon enoughgaz2810i will become famous soon enoughgaz2810i will become famous soon enough

Quote:

This is something I have always wondered to?

Just read Carl's reply DOH!
Old 02-04-2012, 21:27   #43
windy
Inactive

Services: XL TV/XL BB(60) /PHONE/ M..TIVO/FREEVIEW HD Samsung Galaxy s3
windy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of light

COMING SOON TO VIRGIN TV....
or has everyone forgotten.
Old 02-04-2012, 21:29   #44
Henkesghost
Sceptic

Henkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronze
Henkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy View Post
Ooh nippy knickers
Old 02-04-2012, 21:32   #45
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy View Post
Here you go Sony Movies and Sony Movies+1 possibly in May.
http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showp...4&postcount=40
Closed Thread