Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Reminders on TiVo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

VM TiVo is like . . .

Old 19-06-2011, 11:15   #1
scgf
Inactive

Services: Freeview HD, TNTSat (France), Apple TV
scgf is on a distinguished roadscgf is on a distinguished road
VM TiVo is like . . .

. . . something Microsoft would market after taking over a company producing a good product, only to ruin it in implementation.

Since I rejected my VM TiVo I have seen my decision vindicated many times over, in spite of feeling shouted down in these and other forums.

I am trying to put my finger on what is wrong with it, apart from the obvious like dire SD picture quality and confusing UI. I think I have worked it out. It is to do with the way I think and what I perceive as being logical. My computing experience has been OS/2, Linux, Mac OS X with a small amount of Microsoft Windows along the way. I now work with Windows, unfortunately, but don't see MS Windows as part of my personal computing evolution - I have always seen it as an aberration.

Those of you old enough to have experience os OS/2 will know what I mean.

The TiVo is like something which would come out of the MS stables - great idea but badly implemented.
scgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-06-2011, 11:31   #2
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: VM TiVo is like . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgf View Post
Those of you old enough to have experience of OS/2 will know what I mean.
I'm old enough to not only have experience of OS/2, but to have considered it an aberration. It all depends on your background. (The same applies to Linux, Windows and a very short but unpleasant encounter with a MAC, by the way).
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 12:05   #3
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
. . . something Microsoft would market after taking over a company producing a good product, only to ruin it in implementation.

Since I rejected my VM TiVo I have seen my decision vindicated many times over, in spite of feeling shouted down in these and other forums.

I am trying to put my finger on what is wrong with it, apart from the obvious like dire SD picture quality and confusing UI. I think I have worked it out. It is to do with the way I think and what I perceive as being logical. My computing experience has been OS/2, Linux, Mac OS X with a small amount of Microsoft Windows along the way. I now work with Windows, unfortunately, but don't see MS Windows as part of my personal computing evolution - I have always seen it as an aberration.

The TiVo is like something which would come out of the MS stables - great idea but badly implemented.

Ahh, they don't build them like they used to argument.

VM TiVo isn't perfect, but is a considerably better product in comparison to its competition.

I think VM's implementation is fine, and will continue to evolve. Comparing TiVo as an aberration akin to Microsft makes me think that you're probably the kind of person that sees Steve Jobs image in the skirting board.

Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with Apple, I'm typing this out on my Macbook now, but I think your singular view and insipid argument on TiVo will not gain much ground, but of course may ring true with some.

For the record, I'm watching SS1 SD, and the cricket looks superb on my TV with VM TiVo thanks.
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 12:40   #4
JethroUK

Services: Philips 42" +XLTV +10 meg B.B. +Lrg Phone + caller ID +Tivo £52 +Xbox 360 60 gig +200w Sub

Quote:
VM TiVo is like . . .. . . something Microsoft would market after taking over a company producing a good product, only to ruin it in implementation..
I think the opposite is true

Never had a Tivo before and it's very clear that the worst aspect of VM Tivo is out-dated Tivo screens/functionality - like many parts of the model haven't seen the light of day for 10 years

Tivo desperately needs a market the size of VM's to boot it up the @r$e and bring it kicking and screaming into 2011

I think VM will be the best thing ever happened to Tivo
Old 19-06-2011, 12:40   #5
Henkesghost
Sceptic

Henkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronze
Henkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronze

Haven't seen TiVo but this site seems to be full of criticism for it. Mods will no doubt stamp that out like they do with most criticism of virgin, leaving this site a dull wasteland where only the status quo (not the old denim dudes) is tolerated and glaring deficiencies ignored. Seems virgin have put all there eggs in one basket with TiVo, judging by the coming soon thread it certainly isn't in bringing a better tv package to u faithful customers.
Henkesghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 12:55   #6
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkesghost View Post
Haven't seen TiVo but this site seems to be full of criticism for it.
Unsuprisingly it's more likely that people will post to forums when they don't like something than when they do
Old 19-06-2011, 13:04   #7
DaBoz
Inactive

DaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

I think your analogy is way off the mark. I nearly sent my TiVo back but have persevered because VM are actually taking this product forward, something that the TiVo software team haven't done in the last 10 years. It's more like Apple buying a technology that has promise but isn't implemented well, repackaging it and releasing it with rejuvenation and foresight.

Personally, I think it was launched with too many big issues, however it had to come out early this year to be competitive. Tough call for VM to make, but overall I think it's the right one and come Christmas we'll have a fantastic piece of kit.

Boz

---------- Post added at 13:04 ---------- Previous post was at 13:02 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JethroUK View Post
I think VM will be the best thing ever happened to Tivo
and possibly vice versa?
DaBoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 13:16   #8
toady
cf.geek

Services: A mix of XXL and XL
toady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by JethroUK View Post

Never had a Tivo before and it's very clear that the worst aspect of VM Tivo is out-dated Tivo screens/functionality - like many parts of the model haven't seen the light of day for 10 years
To me it appears that TIVO were lazy and just rewrote the screens needed for the new system and left the others believing it would do

I think TIVO have a lot of work to do in giving the UK market the features they want, they have already started with the 3rd tuner

I'm confident that with VM pushing that TIVO will add the features we require
toady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 14:58   #9
REM
Inactive

Services: TV Full House V6 200Mb/s + Telephone
REM is just really niceREM is just really niceREM is just really niceREM is just really niceREM is just really niceREM is just really nice

I can't see the problem.

The hardware is in place and any software issues can be addressed. It's not like we're getting something old and were stuck with it.

Nothing is ever perfected. There are always people who say this or that is wrong. Are we all supposed to wait 20 years until every one agrees that Tivo is near perfect before it's released to market?

If that is the case then the hardware will be way out of date by then.

I don't mind putting up with a few niggles if it means getting the Tivo now. I know that it will get better.
REM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 15:31   #10
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

l am very happy with my tivo and l know it will evolve and improve as time goes on.
denphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 15:43   #11
ekwk
Inactive

ekwk is an unknown quantity at this point

tivo is like buying a dog thinking its a pedigree only to find out after a few days its just another dog with a fancy name, and in fact it's not as good as your previous dog despite costing more.

there's way way too much 'to be sorted out later in the year' to be able to enjoy it atm and i don't even have faith that they'll implement the updates thats needed within the next 12 months. its one thing saying you're going to do this and that, it's another putting your money where your mouth is and doing it.

tivo just isn't very good when you strip away the new look and look at the basics that it should do well (series link setup, speed of the box, on demand, interactive etc). maybe in a year or so things will be different, maybe.
ekwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 15:46   #12
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekwk View Post
tivo is like buying a dog thinking its a pedigree only to find out after a few days its just another dog with a fancy name, and in fact it's not as good as your previous dog despite costing more.

there's way way too much 'to be sorted out later in the year' to be able to enjoy it atm and i don't even have faith that they'll implement the updates thats needed within the next 12 months. its one thing saying you're going to do this and that, it's another putting your money where your mouth is and doing it.

tivo just isn't very good when you strip away the new look and look at the basics that it should do well (series link setup, speed of the box, on demand, interactive etc). maybe in a year or so things will be different, maybe.
Well you are entitled to your opinion but l think you are talking absolute nonsense about the tivo.
Old 19-06-2011, 16:00   #13
ekwk
Inactive

ekwk is an unknown quantity at this point

as long as your happy with a product thats clearly not upto scratch yet then thats all that matters i guess. i expect more.
ekwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 16:02   #14
REM
Inactive

Services: TV Full House V6 200Mb/s + Telephone
REM is just really niceREM is just really niceREM is just really niceREM is just really niceREM is just really niceREM is just really nice

Quote:
No. More like you wanting a dog to rip off the heads of burglars but are given a 6 week old puppy. Just feed it and wait and it will be a fully grown Rottweiler.

Tivo is only software. Software improves. A dog's pedigree never changes.
REM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 16:05   #15
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
as long as your happy with a product thats clearly not upto scratch yet then thats all that matters i guess. i expect more.
I have had it for 2 months now and l have had only to reboot once in that time and other then that it has been running very smoothly in that time and the tivo also has many extra's that the other boxes did not have and also tell me what things you expected from the tivo.