Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | General TiVo Discussion Part 2

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

General TiVo Discussion Part 2
Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 15:27   #16
mersey70
Inactive

Services: TV M, L BB, Sky+ HD
mersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant future
Re: General TiVo Discussion Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
I suspect it's so he or she can set a reminder on a new series and be notified if it is scheduled over here. With hundreds of channels that could show something, it can be difficult to keep track of who has the rights to which programme.

---------- Post added at 14:01 ---------- Previous post was at 13:59 ----------

That's just my point. Personally, assuming I see a programme advertised I want to see, I can look it up on the guide. In fact that is how I usually do things. Anything I record regularly enough, I set a season pass on.
For me I just set a once only record from the green button promo to see if I like the show. If I do I then i'll set a series link, if not I don't bother.

I usually just use the guide myself to set recordings but the green button promos have highlighted quite a few shows that wouldn't have otherwise struck me as something of interest.

It proves the endless promo's do sometimes work!

---------- Post added at 14:27 ---------- Previous post was at 14:24 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Sky would put a show like Fringe on green button weeks before. Mersey may know is it all channels use the green remind me or just Skys own. I agree Passingbat the wishlist would pick the series up when it appeared on the EPG data automatically.
No it's not just Sky's channels, I have seen it on a variety of pay channels in fact the networks implement it too including BBC who seem to use it as much as Sky.

I don't know if smaller budget FTA channels like CBS do though.
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2011, 15:27   #17
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersey70 View Post
For me I just set a once only record from the green button promo to see if I like the show. If I do I then i'll set a series link, if not I don't bother.

I usually just use the guide myself to set recordings but the green button promos have highlighted quite a few shows that wouldn't have otherwise struck me as something of interest.

It proves the endless promo's do sometimes work!
I've found the iPod touch and iPad sky+ app has thrown some ok suggestions up and the new features coming to it of being able to view your planner , use it as a remote and set series links will make it better still. The TIVO boys on here will enjoy these apps when VM release them for their box.
Old 04-04-2011, 15:28   #18
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Sky would put a show like Fringe on green button weeks before. .
You could add it to Tivo, the same day it was announced at the US Upfronts for the coming new season TV shedule.
Old 04-04-2011, 15:31   #19
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
You could add it to Tivo, the same day it was announced at the US Upfronts for the coming new season TV shedule.
So we've no excuses for missing it LOL
Old 04-04-2011, 15:32   #20
passingbat
Inactive

passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:

No it's not just Sky's channels, I have seen it on a variety of pay channels in fact the networks implement it too including BBC who seem to use it as much as Sky.

I don't know if smaller budget FTA channels like CBS do though.
By Sky channels, do you mean Sky owned channels or all channels broadcast on Sky TV?

For eaxample, does it list channels like Watch or Universal?
Old 04-04-2011, 15:32   #21
mersey70
Inactive

mersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant future

Quote:
I am quite possibly being thick here but what if the shows are never broadcast here, or on channels that are not available?

I think I am probably misunderstanding what people mean which is my big fear with Tivo for an average punter like me.
Old 04-04-2011, 15:34   #22
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
By Sky channels, do you mean Sky owned channels or all channels broadcast on Sky TV?

Actually I have seen it on Universal I think for Rookie Blue.
Old 04-04-2011, 15:38   #23
mersey70
Inactive

Quote:

Not just Sky branded channels.

Green Button is implemented as far as I can see on a wide variety of pay channels and definitely not just Sky's. I cannot say for sure if all pay channels implement it though.

The BBC and Channel 4 frequently use it too.
Old 04-04-2011, 15:42   #24
Big-Ted
Inactive

Big-Ted has much to be proud ofBig-Ted has much to be proud ofBig-Ted has much to be proud ofBig-Ted has much to be proud ofBig-Ted has much to be proud ofBig-Ted has much to be proud ofBig-Ted has much to be proud ofBig-Ted has much to be proud ofBig-Ted has much to be proud ofBig-Ted has much to be proud of

Quote:
I am quite possibly being thick here but what if the shows are never broadcast here, or on channels that are not available?

I think I am probably misunderstanding what people mean which is my big fear with Tivo for an average punter like me.
If you put something in the wishlist it will check the EPG dat,a and as soon as available on a subscribed channel will record it.

It is not like series link which is channel specific but for the whole EPG.
Old 04-04-2011, 15:44   #25
clinteastman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media XL TV, XXL Broadband, L Phone, TiVo, V+
clinteastman has reached the bronze age
clinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze age

Quote:
No you can't as of yet here is the never miss service

http://mysky.sky.com/portal/site/sky...mytv/nevermiss
Screen shot 2011-04-04 at 14.41.14.png
Woops!
Old 04-04-2011, 15:44   #26
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:

You don't get to see them!

What whishlists do, is search on your behalf for programmes you want to watch that may or may not be broadcast in the UK. This saves people a lot of time, and prevents them missing programmes they learneed about months ago and may have forgoten about..

Just check out the digital Spy (DS) Cult forum (US TV shows) and the number of threads asking when this or that show starts in the UK or when a current show resumes after the mid-season break.

DS have a Premier list, but it's not often up to date, misses out shows and can't be relied on.

Tivo makes the time spent checking these these threads and Premier lists redundant.
Old 04-04-2011, 15:55   #27
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinteastman View Post
You've broke it for us all now LOL

---------- Post added at 14:55 ---------- Previous post was at 14:51 ----------

Quote:

What whishlists do, is search on your behalf for programmes you want to watch that may or may not be broadcast in the UK. This saves people a lot of time, and prevents them missing programmes they learneed about months ago and may have forgoten about..

Just check out the digital Spy (DS) Cult forum (US TV shows) and the number of threads asking when this or that show starts in the UK or when a current show resumes after the mid-season break.

DS have a Premier list, but it's not often up to date, misses out shows and can't be relied on.

Tivo makes the time spent checking these these threads and Premier lists redundant.
I understand them they are a good idea.
Old 04-04-2011, 15:55   #28
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:
You've broke it for us all now LOL
It's heard all this discussion on how much better Tivo whishlists are and given up in defeat?
Old 04-04-2011, 16:01   #29
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

I don't disagree mate TIVOS functions are clever my theory is that its just a bit to techy for the average person , DF seems to think I'm slating TIVO and he's so wrong , the imminent arrival of TIVO is making Sky look at their offering and make improvements which benefits Sky users as well. The market will tell over the coming year and the 500gb box will shake it up , I just don't see that many dumping Sky , but that's just my opinion.
Old 04-04-2011, 16:02   #30
mersey70
Inactive

Quote:

I get you now. The clue is in the name, I am a dope today!

I suppose it could be useful but with the never ending promotion of programmes weeks before they start I am not convinced it's something that the masses crave though.

We'll see.
Closed Thread