Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 09-03-2011, 16:40   #46
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Services: 30Mb Broadband (XL), 2TB TiVo (M+), Samsung Galaxy Ace (M), POTS Landline (M).
zekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Chrys seems to have problems with the ping not responding after a few minutes/hours too
Well, that's the great thing about these tests. A way to show how good or bad connections and CPEs are in graph form.

Right now it's like a "put up or shut up" solution for all those badmouthing the Super Hub, myself included!
zekeisaszekedoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-03-2011, 16:47   #47
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

why you on the superhub still on 20mbit? you paid £75 for it?

---------- Post added at 15:47 ---------- Previous post was at 15:45 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Chrys seems to have problems with the ping not responding after a few minutes/hours too
odd enough its been ok for almost 3 weeks now.

System Up Time 19 days 14h:58m:42s

This is either down to luck or that not much port forward traffic is occuring, when it kept bombing out I was utilising port forwarding all day.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 17:00   #48
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Services: 30Mb Broadband (XL), 2TB TiVo (M+), Samsung Galaxy Ace (M), POTS Landline (M).
zekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
why you on the superhub still on 20mbit? you paid £75 for it?
My household went from 10Mb to 20Mb in December and that particular agent sent out a Super Hub, possibly as a "bonus" for longtime customers such as us, I don't know. Possibly to entice us to upgrade further.

Short answer: the VM call centre system is very inefficient. Within the same call last week I was offered the 30Mb speed for free, then told I'd need to pay £30 despite already having the Super Hub.

But no, never paid a penny and don't plan to. I'd have the 30Mb upgrade right now except I probably can't get a VMNG300 modem sent out and registered and I have no interest in running my very unreliable Super Hub constantly to get it. Just waiting for the May bridge mode update we've been repeatedly promised.
Old 09-03-2011, 22:20   #49
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

VM 50Meg with the Superdud in Liverpool
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 15:42   #50
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Well I'll be damned.

Comparable performance. But I will point out NO-ONE in the household is using the Super Hub wireless and I haven't been in much so very little in the way of LAN transfers - these are usually the things that cause trouble. Lower latency is no doubt a result of being on the DOCSIS3 network rather than legacy DOCSIS1.

I wanted to take the Super Hub out but I'm trying to sign up for the new firmware pilot and I might just leave it in. And if I do that I suppose it's worth going up to 30Mb. I'm not keen on the idea because of all the trouble it has caused in the past, but if it hasn't done something stupid by the weekend I might have to grin and bear it.
Old 10-03-2011, 15:55   #51
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze

you may still be on the docsis1 network as you on the same tier service. They wont move you just because you have the superhub.

for connectivity quality the superhub is fine, its issues as far as I am concerned are on the router side of it although I have had some dropouts early on the uptime for me at the moment is ok. I suspect modem issues that do occur will be a side affect of the router having issues as its an all in one device.
Old 10-03-2011, 16:04   #52
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Nope, definately DOCSIS3. Top light on right side is blue.
Old 10-03-2011, 16:05   #53
foxtrot_yankee
Inactive

Services: Premiere Collection
foxtrot_yankee is an unknown quantity at this point

This is the second Superhub, installed last night, and I'm proved right; it didn't fix the fault because it's a network issue!

foxtrot_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 16:14   #54
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekeisaszekedoes View Post
Nope, definately DOCSIS3. Top light on right side is blue.
interesting, you can post connection stats for channels?
Old 10-03-2011, 16:25   #55
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Startup Procedure
Procedure Status Comment
Acquire Downstream Channel 298750000 Hz Locked
Connectivity State OK Operational
Boot State OK Operational
Configuration File OK
Security Enabled BPI+

Downstream Channels
Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Max Raw Bit Rate Frequency Power SNR Docsis/EuroDocsis locked
Locked QAM256 93 55616000 Kbits/sec 298750000 Hz 1.1 dBmV 41.9 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 94 55616000 Kbits/sec 306750000 Hz 1.0 dBmV 42.5 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 95 55616000 Kbits/sec 314750000 Hz 1.0 dBmV 41.9 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 96 55616000 Kbits/sec 322750000 Hz 0.3 dBmV 42.0 dB Hybrid
Unlocked Unknown 0 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB Unknown

Upstream Channels
Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Max Raw Bit Rate Frequency Power
Locked TDMA 5 10240 Kbits/sec 42800000 Hz 52.2 dBmV
Unlocked Unknown 0 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV

Primary Downstream Service Flow
Downstream(0)
SFID 4395
Max Traffic Rate 20480000 bps
Max Traffic Burst 10000 bytes
Mix Traffic Rate 0 bps

Primary Upstream Service Flow
Upstream(0)
SFID 4469
Max Traffic Rate 768000 bps
Max Traffic Burst 3044 bytes
Mix Traffic Rate 0 bps
Max Concatenated Burst 0 bytes
Scheduling Type Best Effort
Current System Time:Thu Mar 10 15:18:00 2011

---------- Post added at 15:25 ---------- Previous post was at 15:21 ----------

Additionally:

My IP is in a much higher range than usual too; we're talking 213.104.xxx.xxx rather than the more common 82-86.xxx.xxx.xxx so that's a little curious.
Old 10-03-2011, 16:26   #56
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

so VM have a 20meg config for bonded channels, nice.
Old 10-03-2011, 16:37   #57
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Yeah, surprisingly they do.

So what's the deal with 30Mb, is that still 4 bonded on the down and just 1 on the up?
Old 10-03-2011, 16:39   #58
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

same yeah, same as 50meg 4 down and 1 up. No services bond on the up yet and I suspect when they do bring it in, all tiers will use bonding (that have docsis3 modem). As it manages capacity much better, gets rid of balancing issues.

eg. my live graph looks ok but if I were to change to the other upstream channel allocated to my port I bet it would be more congested. So there is 2 upstream channels on my port but VM dont bond them yet.
Old 10-03-2011, 19:37   #59
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekeisaszekedoes View Post
Yeah, surprisingly they do.

So what's the deal with 30Mb, is that still 4 bonded on the down and just 1 on the up?
100Mb is delivered on 4 bonded channels and just one upstream but alegedly
the ambit 300 modem can't handle it but it can with a 50Mb connection which uses exactly the same and gives more information to the user in the stats pages etc.

Could that be why VM won't allow it?

Infinity 4th April!
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 20:10   #60
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
100Mb is delivered on 4 bonded channels and just one upstream but alegedly
the ambit 300 modem can't handle it but it can with a 50Mb connection which uses exactly the same and gives more information to the user in the stats pages etc.

Could that be why VM won't allow it?

Infinity 4th April!
Well if they are doing 4 bonded downstreams and only one up on every tier trying to banish the VMNG300 makes no sense at all. I swear I read that it can handle up to 200Mb and we're a couple of years away from that. If they're so worried about costs of upgrading a large number of CPEs, you'd think shifting the modems they have would be a priority. I don't buy Masque saying "oh they only keep Ambit 300s to do like for like swaps in case of failure" either; surely then would be the time to upgrade to the Super Hub, not before? From a business point of view VM are pulling some stupid, half-cocked nonsense it seems.

---------- Post added at 19:10 ---------- Previous post was at 19:01 ----------

Uh-oh. See that big streak just before 4pm? Looks like one of those classic "Super Hub" blips to me. If I see more than three in one day, out it comes.