Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | EXPLODING lightbulbs

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

EXPLODING lightbulbs

Old 24-03-2005, 11:29   #16
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura
Re: EXPLODING lightbulbs

We had an expensive large globe bulb (Habitat) explode in the waiting room once Luckily no one was sitting near it at the time
Advertisement
Old 24-03-2005, 11:31   #17
allieyoung666
Permanently Banned

Services: whats that??
allieyoung666 has reached the bronze age
allieyoung666 has reached the bronze ageallieyoung666 has reached the bronze ageallieyoung666 has reached the bronze ageallieyoung666 has reached the bronze ageallieyoung666 has reached the bronze ageallieyoung666 has reached the bronze ageallieyoung666 has reached the bronze ageallieyoung666 has reached the bronze age

There might be a static build up that causes the light bulb to blow, the ones out of Tesco's do that and the scare the hell out of me!!!
allieyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2005, 11:39   #18
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

We've just had a pack of four energy saving bulbs sent to us free from Powergen Staywarm. They should last us forever as there is only one fitting in the house that we can use them in and we already have a couple that we got free from a link in the freebies thread. Everywhere else uses candle bulbs or reflector bulbs. Are there any really small power saving bulbs?
ian@huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2005, 11:44   #19
bopdude
Inactive

bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to bopdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian@huth
We've just had a pack of four energy saving bulbs sent to us free from Powergen Staywarm. They should last us forever as there is only one fitting in the house that we can use them in and we already have a couple that we got free from a link in the freebies thread. Everywhere else uses candle bulbs or reflector bulbs. Are there any really small power saving bulbs?
Dozens, heres one site, I googled and got plenty more
bopdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2005, 11:47   #20
allieyoung666
Permanently Banned

allieyoung666 has reached the bronze ageallieyoung666 has reached the bronze ageallieyoung666 has reached the bronze ageallieyoung666 has reached the bronze ageallieyoung666 has reached the bronze ageallieyoung666 has reached the bronze ageallieyoung666 has reached the bronze ageallieyoung666 has reached the bronze age

I am not to keen on these energy effiecent ones, I think that they are really dim and they seem to take ages to 'warm up' if you pardon the pun and they seem to make the room look really dark
Old 24-03-2005, 11:56   #21
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

We use Osram or Ikea bulbs at home. Both seem quite reliable, and the Ikea ones have the bonus that they are relatively cheap.

The downside is that Ikea seem to use a different fitting for each kind of lamp (they don't, I think they use 5 types, it just seems like more), so where as before we would have maybe a couple of different types of bulb, we now have a whole drawer full of them..
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2005, 11:58   #22
allieyoung666
Permanently Banned

I do not think the light quality is there though and we have philips ones, give me old fashioned ones anyday!
Old 24-03-2005, 12:00   #23
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by allieyoung666
I do not think the light quality is there though and we have philips ones, give me old fashioned ones anyday!
I used to only have a clean (non pearl) lightbulb in my computer room, as this was best to show off my star trek holograms.

But after the expliding thing - I think I'll stick with energy saving ones. Touch wood - non of my engersaving ones have broken yet.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2005, 12:09   #24
allieyoung666
Permanently Banned

AHHHH your poor star trek collection, is it okay??
Old 24-03-2005, 12:14   #25
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by allieyoung666
AHHHH your poor star trek collection, is it okay??
My sci fi collection lives to fight another day
Old 24-03-2005, 12:14   #26
allieyoung666
Permanently Banned

Old 24-03-2005, 12:26   #27
Electrolyte01

I thought bulbs only exploded or "poped" when too much electricity goes thru the wire?

I would stay well away from those bulbs. Luckily I have energy saving ones in my room
Old 24-03-2005, 12:30   #28
zoombini
Inactive

Services: I no longer receive cable services, I blame the inept accounts dept for that.
zoombini has reached the bronze age
zoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze age

I saw a tip to use a potato, shove it into it, twist & remove.

Although given the moisture in it, best to switch off first
zoombini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2005, 12:33   #29
Gogogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf1701
I'm not sure if this is in the right place.....

The missus bought a load of cheap lightbulbs last year before we started getting the energy saving ones.

I had one of these in the computer room and at one end of the living room.

Now each time one of these bulbs has blown it has blown with some force. In fact usually seperating the bulb from the metal part you fit into the socket.

Last night the one in the computer room went - and spread little bits of glass mostly in the uplighter - but also over the computer room floor.

What I'd like to know is why do they go with such force? What is the best way to remove the metal part. (I turned of the lights at the mains and did it).

Anyway also if this is a general trend - I'd steer clear of cheapo bulbs people.

p.s. when a bulb goes now I replace it with an energy one.

If you still have the packaging and any remaining bulbs and receipt for purchase visit your local trading standards office and report it, as such bulbs are a menace.

Old 24-03-2005, 12:37   #30
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogogo
If you still have the packaging and any remaining bulbs and receipt for purchase visit your local trading standards office and report it, as such bulbs are a menace.

Unfortunately they are now on the way to the tip. Good idea tho.